The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PD-1 (or keppra) and Tingling?

Forums General Melanoma Community PD-1 (or keppra) and Tingling?

Participant

Hi Everyone,

I have been on PD-1 for about 18 months now.  The melanoma has been behaving as my single,defiant, 5mm met in my left lung has been stable for over a year.  I have recently had a tingling sensation in my left leg and sometimes my left foot seems to be 'heavy' when I walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night (which is all the time!!).  I had a seizure in June and my keppra was upped to 2000 mg/daily.

Anyone experience have a similar sensation?

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        AnitaLoree
        Participant

Brendan:  Read your bio. I'm sorry, you've been thru a lot already.  My husband's only symptom 2 yrs ago was acute onset of moderate numbness & tingling in his fingers, unchanging for ~2 mo before he checked it out with his primary doc.  MRI of neck: mass in cervical spine.  Resected as much as possible. Radiation to residual tumor & Keytruda X 10 mo.  Whatever's left of the melanoma is stable.  While it worries me you may have a cervical spine met, I want you to know that my husband has survived thx to a very good Kaiser neurosurgeon & the spirit to keep fighting. You are probably headed for an MRI/PET very shortly and I wish you good results, at least something easy to deal with.  Please keep us posted. You're on my prayer list.  A.L.

AnitaLoree
          Participant

Brendan:  Read your bio. I'm sorry, you've been thru a lot already.  My husband's only symptom 2 yrs ago was acute onset of moderate numbness & tingling in his fingers, unchanging for ~2 mo before he checked it out with his primary doc.  MRI of neck: mass in cervical spine.  Resected as much as possible. Radiation to residual tumor & Keytruda X 10 mo.  Whatever's left of the melanoma is stable.  While it worries me you may have a cervical spine met, I want you to know that my husband has survived thx to a very good Kaiser neurosurgeon & the spirit to keep fighting. You are probably headed for an MRI/PET very shortly and I wish you good results, at least something easy to deal with.  Please keep us posted. You're on my prayer list.  A.L.

AnitaLoree
            Participant

ed williams
              Participant

Hi Brendan, have you told your neural surgeon of this symptom? They might do your next Mri earlier if you let them know how you are feeling. I am part of the BMS checkmate 67 trial also. I have not heard of the symptom you have, being associated with the study, but you never know, they keep adding new disclaimers when they find out new side effects. Wishing you the best!!!! Ed 

ed williams
                Participant

Hi Brendan, have you told your neural surgeon of this symptom? They might do your next Mri earlier if you let them know how you are feeling. I am part of the BMS checkmate 67 trial also. I have not heard of the symptom you have, being associated with the study, but you never know, they keep adding new disclaimers when they find out new side effects. Wishing you the best!!!! Ed 

ed williams
                  Participant

Bubbles
                    Participant

Hey Brendan, 

I looked at your bio to remind myself of your treatments. I know you took ipi a while back. Given the study you are in, are you sure you are getting only anti-PD1? Not that it matters too much.  There is documentation that ipi can cause paresthesias. We do not have that documentation for anti-PD1….not that that is an absolute reality at this time….but that is where the side effect profile stands currently.  I am also convinced that side effects can occur some distance from administration of medications. That is partly from personal experience but also seems to be showing up in more and more case reports as well. On the good side of that long term side effect scenario, it would indicate that positive effects could be long term (ie "durable") as well, no?!  So….I think you could be experiencing paresthesias due to your treatments, but talking about the symptoms with your onc and neurology team is certainly warranted. Wishing you well.  C

Brendan
                        Participant

Thanks, Celeste!!

The trial is only nivo; and it's for ipi-refractory patients.  The trial originally included a vaccine (?) as well.  However, by the time I received my first infusion the vaccine was no longer part of the trial.

Brendan 

Brendan
                          Participant

Thanks, Celeste!!

The trial is only nivo; and it's for ipi-refractory patients.  The trial originally included a vaccine (?) as well.  However, by the time I received my first infusion the vaccine was no longer part of the trial.

Brendan 

Brendan
                            Participant

Thanks, Celeste!!

Brendan 

Bubbles
                            Participant

Hey Brendan, 

I looked at your bio to remind myself of your treatments. I know you took ipi a while back. Given the study you are in, are you sure you are getting only anti-PD1? Not that it matters too much.  There is documentation that ipi can cause paresthesias. We do not have that documentation for anti-PD1….not that that is an absolute reality at this time….but that is where the side effect profile stands currently.  I am also convinced that side effects can occur some distance from administration of medications. That is partly from personal experience but also seems to be showing up in more and more case reports as well. On the good side of that long term side effect scenario, it would indicate that positive effects could be long term (ie "durable") as well, no?!  So….I think you could be experiencing paresthesias due to your treatments, but talking about the symptoms with your onc and neurology team is certainly warranted. Wishing you well.  C

Bubbles
                              Participant

Hey Brendan, 

kylez
                                Participant

Hi Brendan,

Good to hear things are stable and behaving. I've been on a PD1 combo trial for 16 months now. I have not experienced those symptoms/sensations. As an aside on seizure meds, my neurologist tapered me up on Lamictal to 350mg / day for seizure control and then dropped me off the Keppra completely. Not a quick experiment to try because it took 3 months to taper up. But I like Lamictal for the other effects like you mention in your profile. For me it's to control 'epileptoform' brain waves/partial seizure focused in one location, haven't had any full seizures.

– Kyle

Brendan
                                    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies.  Good to hear from you all (it's been a while, Kyle).  I have an MRI scheduled for Thursday (earliest possible) so I will have some more info.  I will post the results when I hear.

Good luck to you!!

Brendan

Brendan
                                      Participant

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies.  Good to hear from you all (it's been a while, Kyle).  I have an MRI scheduled for Thursday (earliest possible) so I will have some more info.  I will post the results when I hear.

Good luck to you!!

Brendan

Brendan
                                        Participant

Hi Everyone,

Good luck to you!!

Brendan

Brendan
                                          Participant

Hey Kyle,

I tried the lamictal but it didn't take (rash maybe?)so I went back on keppra.  

Talk soon,

Brendan

Brendan
                                            Participant

Hey Kyle,

Talk soon,

Brendan

Brendan
                                              Participant

Hey Kyle,

Talk soon,

Brendan

kylez
                                                Participant

Sure. I think that rash is the biggest concern with that medication, and is the reason they taper it up so slowly.

kylez
                                                  Participant

Sure. I think that rash is the biggest concern with that medication, and is the reason they taper it up so slowly.

kylez
                                                    Participant

kylez
                                                    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Good to hear things are stable and behaving. I've been on a PD1 combo trial for 16 months now. I have not experienced those symptoms/sensations. As an aside on seizure meds, my neurologist tapered me up on Lamictal to 350mg / day for seizure control and then dropped me off the Keppra completely. Not a quick experiment to try because it took 3 months to taper up. But I like Lamictal for the other effects like you mention in your profile. For me it's to control 'epileptoform' brain waves/partial seizure focused in one location, haven't had any full seizures.

– Kyle

kylez
                                                      Participant

Hi Brendan,

– Kyle

Mat
                                                        Participant

Brendan, I hope that things went well for,you today.  Glad to hear that PD-1 is continuing to work for you.

Brendan
                                                            Participant

Thanks, Mat.  The MRI was Thursday night so I probably won't see the results until next week.  I will post when I have them.

Brendan

Brendan
                                                              Participant

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the support.  My radiation oncologist just called.  The radiologist report says there is a 'suspicious' mass [I didn't read report yet-she just told me about it].  She called to tell me that she does not see what they are seeing.  It looks to her to be swelling.  In the past three years I've had two rounds of radiation and two rcraniotomies.  The second cranitiotomy was in June 2013 and the surgeon left gliadel wafers in the cavity.  My rad onc told me that I am she thinks it's just normal post treatment changes and that the timeline.

The MRI will be presented next Monday at "Tumor Board' meeting and my rad onc, med onc, endocrinologist, neurologist, and neurosurgeon will review as a team.  

In the meantime my rad onc told me to just sit tight, which is rather easy by this point.  I'll post results next week.

Thanks!

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                Participant

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the support.  My radiation oncologist just called.  The radiologist report says there is a 'suspicious' mass [I didn't read report yet-she just told me about it].  She called to tell me that she does not see what they are seeing.  It looks to her to be swelling.  In the past three years I've had two rounds of radiation and two rcraniotomies.  The second cranitiotomy was in June 2013 and the surgeon left gliadel wafers in the cavity.  My rad onc told me that I am she thinks it's just normal post treatment changes and that the timeline.

The MRI will be presented next Monday at "Tumor Board' meeting and my rad onc, med onc, endocrinologist, neurologist, and neurosurgeon will review as a team.  

In the meantime my rad onc told me to just sit tight, which is rather easy by this point.  I'll post results next week.

Thanks!

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                  Participant

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                    Participant

Correction:

My rad onc thinks it's just normal post treatment changes and I am within the normal timeline for such changes.

Brendan
                                                                      Participant

Correction:

My rad onc thinks it's just normal post treatment changes and I am within the normal timeline for such changes.

Brendan
                                                                        Participant

Correction:

Mat
                                                                          Participant

Brendan, glad to hear your rad onc's take.  Thanks for keeping the group informed.

Mat
                                                                            Participant

Brendan, glad to hear your rad onc's take.  Thanks for keeping the group informed.

Bubbles
                                                                              Participant

Considering the options, that sounds good and reasonable to me!  Hang in there.  C

Bubbles
                                                                                Participant

Considering the options, that sounds good and reasonable to me!  Hang in there.  C

Bubbles
                                                                                  Participant

Mat
                                                                                    Participant

kylez
                                                                                      Participant

Hi Brendan,

I know there was some changes seen on my MRI in 2012, 6-10 months post-radiation/post-IPI. They did 4 MRIs over 14 weeks, including 2 with special "perfusion studies" to try to distinguish whether radiation effect, recurrence and/or IPI swelling was the most likely cause of whatever they were seeing on the scans. They (don't remember if there was a tumor board) eventually felt what they were seeing was most likely radiation effect. Whatever it was has not been an issue since.

I hope the results from the tumor board are encouraging. 

Brendan
                                                                                        Participant

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the sipporrt.  My rad onc called today after tumor board.  Everyone on the board agreed with her initial assessmne that it looks like postsurgical changes.  She intentionally went to a different tumor board so the docs who were looking at the scans  were not familiar with my entire history.  She rcommends another MRI in two months and she will order different images (to get different looks at the exact spot).

Still waiting on tingles.  It doesn't seem to be a met of any sort because I can go a couple days without the tingly feeling.  I will see my med onc (melanoma specialist) next week for bloodwork, etc.

Thanks everyone!  Good luck to you all.

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                                          Participant

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the sipporrt.  My rad onc called today after tumor board.  Everyone on the board agreed with her initial assessmne that it looks like postsurgical changes.  She intentionally went to a different tumor board so the docs who were looking at the scans  were not familiar with my entire history.  She rcommends another MRI in two months and she will order different images (to get different looks at the exact spot).

Still waiting on tingles.  It doesn't seem to be a met of any sort because I can go a couple days without the tingly feeling.  I will see my med onc (melanoma specialist) next week for bloodwork, etc.

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                                            Participant

Hi Everyone,

Brendan

kylez
                                                                                              Participant

Hi Brendan,

I know there was some changes seen on my MRI in 2012, 6-10 months post-radiation/post-IPI. They did 4 MRIs over 14 weeks, including 2 with special "perfusion studies" to try to distinguish whether radiation effect, recurrence and/or IPI swelling was the most likely cause of whatever they were seeing on the scans. They (don't remember if there was a tumor board) eventually felt what they were seeing was most likely radiation effect. Whatever it was has not been an issue since.

kylez
                                                                                                Participant

Hi Brendan,

Brendan
                                                                                                  Participant

Thanks, Mat.  The MRI was Thursday night so I probably won't see the results until next week.  I will post when I have them.

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                                                    Participant

Brendan

Mat
                                                                                                    Participant

Brendan, I hope that things went well for,you today.  Glad to hear that PD-1 is continuing to work for you.

Mat
                                                                                                      Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics