The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pathology after biopsy

Forums General Melanoma Community Pathology after biopsy

Participant

I had my biopsy yesterday for the streak I had under my nail. My dermatologist sampled my proximal nail matrix and did not remove my nail. I sent her an email today asking if a dermatopathologist or general pathologist would review the samples and she said it would be a general pathologist. Is this a big deal for the biopsy? It’s Kaiser so I don’t know if I have any other options.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Becky
        Participant

We have Kaiser and my son's doctor had his biopsy seen by genreal pathologist at Kaiser, then it was sent to UCSF and then to Dr Mihm at U mass for a thrid opinion. Probably becuasse my sons case was unusual ( on his toungue) but just to say that Kaiser paid for a second and third opinion at our doctors request.

Rami
            Participant

Thank you for the response Becky…how long did it take to receive your results? My biopsy was last Wednesday, derm said I should get results yesterday (Monday) still nothing. Emailed today and they said they are still in process, now worried that it's bad news because of the delay……

jennunicorn
            Participant

I had Kaiser when I was diagnosed. Their pathologist looked at the biopsy first, then they sent it to UCSF to be sure they were seeing it correctly. They didn't even tell me they sent it to UCSF, it was just a regular thing they do for biopsies that come back abnormal. I would ask your derm if they plan on sending it out to a good dermatopathologist. 

Rami
                Participant

Thank you for the response! How long did it take to get your results? I had my biopsy last Wednesday, derm said I should know by yesterday and still have not heard. Afraid it's not good news….

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics