The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pathology 2nd Opinion for thin lesions???

Forums General Melanoma Community Pathology 2nd Opinion for thin lesions???

Participant

Hi, been researchIng if pathology 2nd opinion would be beneficial with my low risk legion?  

Appears I do not qualify for SLNB as my lesion is just below the .76 mm cut off and I have no ulceration although a 1mm2 mitotic rate.  My pathology was performed by a dermopatholigst and also reviewed by an additional dermopatholigst in the same lab who agreed with the results.  I am very thankful to be considered low risk but want to be sure I don’t “fall through the cracks” by being so close to the cut off for additional testing.  

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

This is totally up to you.  Personally, I checked out the dermpaths who read my slides.  They see lots of melanoma.  I was fine with not getting a second opinion especially on seemingly low risk lesions.  Where I'd be more worried is if the pathologist was not a dermatopathologist and didn't seem much in the way of melanoma.  Just as an aside, mitotic rate has been removed from the staging and 1 is still considered "low".  Since you had an invasive lesion, seeing some cell division makes sense.  Just ask your derm to show you how to check your own lymph node basins and continue to watch your skin.  I had a .88mm lesion / no ulceration / 1mitosis removed 17 years ago (no SNB as it was under 1mm) – still here, still stage 1b.

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics