The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Past & Present Yervoy Users, need your help please

Forums General Melanoma Community Past & Present Yervoy Users, need your help please

Participant

My husband will be starting Yervoy in the next couple weeks. Of course my main concerns are to be on the outlook for any and all side effects. Can you please share with me your experiences and the things you may have had in the house to help combat them. Trying to be as best prepared as I can. Most importantly did it stable your disease? Thank you all so much for your help.

Jewel

Viewing 29 reply threads
    • Replies
        lovelife15
        Participant

Hi Jewel,

I'm so sorry for this and I will pray for you and your family.

My father was diagnosed this past June with Stage 4. He started Yervoy two weeks later and according to his doctor, he responded really well. My dad had no real side effects besides fatigue. He also hasn't stopped working and gained back the 12 pounds he lost. 🙂 Our doctor said it's different for everyone and the main thing to do is to listen to your body.

Yervoy has been a blessing for my father who just turned 60. I wish you and your husband many blessings during treatment.

Thanks,

Kiley

lovelife15
          Participant

Hi Jewel,

My father was diagnosed this past June with Stage 4. He started Yervoy two weeks later and according to his doctor, he responded really well. My dad had no real side effects besides fatigue. He also hasn't stopped working and gained back the 12 pounds he lost. 🙂 Our doctor said it's different for everyone and the main thing to do is to listen to your body.

Yervoy has been a blessing for my father who just turned 60. I wish you and your husband many blessings during treatment.

Thanks,

Kiley

lovelife15
            Participant

Hi Jewel,

Thanks,

Kiley

arthurjedi007
              Participant

I had no real side affects either. Minor rash, very minor stomach churning. That was about it.

Make sure you contact your doctor's office though if he does have side affects. You could ask them what are the most common side affects they see and what he should take. They also told me I probably wouldn't notice anything until at least the 2nd dose. But everyone is different.

Sorry but not good news as to what it did for my disease. It shrank nothing and everything kept growing with the left shoulder tumor growing like crazy. But that is just me and everyone is different. That was last winter and I'm still fighting so maybe it helped in some way. The immune system is a complex tricky thing.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                Participant

I had no real side affects either. Minor rash, very minor stomach churning. That was about it.

Make sure you contact your doctor's office though if he does have side affects. You could ask them what are the most common side affects they see and what he should take. They also told me I probably wouldn't notice anything until at least the 2nd dose. But everyone is different.

Sorry but not good news as to what it did for my disease. It shrank nothing and everything kept growing with the left shoulder tumor growing like crazy. But that is just me and everyone is different. That was last winter and I'm still fighting so maybe it helped in some way. The immune system is a complex tricky thing.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Artie

Rod
                    Participant

Jewel,

My advice would be to make sure you know who to report any side effects to.

Report any side effects ASAP and don't try to tough it out. Especially any headaches and diarrhea.

I had pituitary swelling and mild diarrhea. The diarrhea was controlled with Imodium and the headaches/pituitary swelling is controlled with steriods.

As far as success I was surgically NED before the Yervoy and 8 months later I continue to be NED

Good Luck

Rod
                      Participant

Jewel,

Report any side effects ASAP and don't try to tough it out. Especially any headaches and diarrhea.

I had pituitary swelling and mild diarrhea. The diarrhea was controlled with Imodium and the headaches/pituitary swelling is controlled with steriods.

As far as success I was surgically NED before the Yervoy and 8 months later I continue to be NED

Good Luck

Rod
                        Participant

Jewel,

Good Luck

O_O
                          Participant

Yervoy's a walk in the park compared to any cancer treatment out there. And if you respond you have a chance of killing this thing for good. Go for it!

O_O
                            Participant

Yervoy's a walk in the park compared to any cancer treatment out there. And if you respond you have a chance of killing this thing for good. Go for it!

O_O
                              Participant

JoshF
                                Participant

Jewel-

I did Yervoy a year ago followed by IL-2. Yervoy was mild in comparison though I did have side effects…thyroid function,fatigue,  itchy rash and mild stomach issues. As others said, make sure any issues your husband has, let the onc know right away. Praying this is a magic bullett!

Josh

JoshF
                                  Participant

Jewel-

I did Yervoy a year ago followed by IL-2. Yervoy was mild in comparison though I did have side effects…thyroid function,fatigue,  itchy rash and mild stomach issues. As others said, make sure any issues your husband has, let the onc know right away. Praying this is a magic bullett!

Josh

Marianne quinn
                                      Participant

If you check my post history, I have written several times about how my husband managed the side effects. He is NED. Hope that helps. Be sure to have immodium and Benadryl on hand and do not have more than 2 bouts of diarrhea before you take the immodium.

Marianne quinn
                                        Participant

If you check my post history, I have written several times about how my husband managed the side effects. He is NED. Hope that helps. Be sure to have immodium and Benadryl on hand and do not have more than 2 bouts of diarrhea before you take the immodium.

Marianne quinn
                                          Participant

JoshF
                                          Participant

Jewel-

Josh

Jewel
                                            Participant

Thank you to all of you who took the time to reply, I don't have to tell anyone here how valuable and comforting this site is. Also going to talk about radiation with oncologist.

Jewel

Jewel
                                              Participant

Thank you to all of you who took the time to reply, I don't have to tell anyone here how valuable and comforting this site is. Also going to talk about radiation with oncologist.

Jewel

Jewel
                                                Participant

Jewel

Brendan
                                                    Participant

Hi Jewel,

Good luck to you and your husband,  I was NED when I went through Yervoy three years ago.  I had some itchiness which was tolerable.  During my third infusion (lterally as I was in the chair) I started to have a very bad headache that turned out to be a swollen pituitary.  I wish I had been more aware of this particular side effect because my pituitary gland no longer produces cortisol (I am on 7.5 mg prednisone/daily).  The headache was right behind my eyes.

Good luck,

Brendan

Brendan
                                                      Participant

Hi Jewel,

Good luck to you and your husband,  I was NED when I went through Yervoy three years ago.  I had some itchiness which was tolerable.  During my third infusion (lterally as I was in the chair) I started to have a very bad headache that turned out to be a swollen pituitary.  I wish I had been more aware of this particular side effect because my pituitary gland no longer produces cortisol (I am on 7.5 mg prednisone/daily).  The headache was right behind my eyes.

Good luck,

Brendan

Brendan
                                                        Participant

Hi Jewel,

Good luck,

Brendan

kalisama
                                                        Participant

Jewel,

I  have had 2 infusions so far, 3rd scheduled next week. Since first infusion I have suffured insanely painful and uncomfortable rashes. I was put on 12+ mg/day of dexamethasone, a very high dosage. The effects from this were worse than the Yervoy effects. I am almost completely tapered off of the steroids, 2mg/every other day. My tox screenings have all been normal, i have another one tomorrow.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, and perhaps I am the exception from what I've heard, but Yervoy can be uncomfortable.

As far as what to keep on hand, 1% hydrocortisone cream, a prescription strength cortisone cream, and ask for a lowest effective steroid to have on hand if something more intense does show up.

hope this is of some help.
                                                          bless,
                                                          kali

kalisama
                                                          Participant

Jewel,

I  have had 2 infusions so far, 3rd scheduled next week. Since first infusion I have suffured insanely painful and uncomfortable rashes. I was put on 12+ mg/day of dexamethasone, a very high dosage. The effects from this were worse than the Yervoy effects. I am almost completely tapered off of the steroids, 2mg/every other day. My tox screenings have all been normal, i have another one tomorrow.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, and perhaps I am the exception from what I've heard, but Yervoy can be uncomfortable.

As far as what to keep on hand, 1% hydrocortisone cream, a prescription strength cortisone cream, and ask for a lowest effective steroid to have on hand if something more intense does show up.

bless,
                                                            kali

kalisama
                                                            Participant

Jewel,

bless,
                                                              kali

Gene_S
                                                              Participant

Hi Jewel,

My husband tood 10 mg/kg of Yervoy and GM-CSF clinical trial and it started in March 2011 ater becoming Stage IV in Oct. 2010.

Most importantly get a phone number to reach if side effects do appear.  While he has many rashes, some fatigue he didn't have the major ones.  His body no longer produces prednisone so he takes 7.5 mg a day.  When his eyebrows starting turning white the doctor said it meant the yervoy was working.  He took the original 4 doses in 12 weeks and then maintenance of 1 dose every 12 weeks for a year and a half.  He has been NED since Oct. of 2012 and remains that way.  He also lost some pigmentation on his face and neck.  But NED was worth the price.

You can read more about him at his profile.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

Gene_S
                                                                Participant

Hi Jewel,

My husband tood 10 mg/kg of Yervoy and GM-CSF clinical trial and it started in March 2011 ater becoming Stage IV in Oct. 2010.

Most importantly get a phone number to reach if side effects do appear.  While he has many rashes, some fatigue he didn't have the major ones.  His body no longer produces prednisone so he takes 7.5 mg a day.  When his eyebrows starting turning white the doctor said it meant the yervoy was working.  He took the original 4 doses in 12 weeks and then maintenance of 1 dose every 12 weeks for a year and a half.  He has been NED since Oct. of 2012 and remains that way.  He also lost some pigmentation on his face and neck.  But NED was worth the price.

Gene_S
                                                                  Participant

Hi Jewel,

Roxy1453
                                                                    Participant

I'm stage 4 metastatic Mel.  I had 2 doses of Yervoy and had a rash and itching that was controlled with benadryl but developed colitis and was in the hospital for 3 days.  I could not finish the other 2 doses.  The doctor still said it worked.  Just be sure to watch for side effects and call right away.  Hope it all works out. 

Roxy1453
                                                                      Participant

I'm stage 4 metastatic Mel.  I had 2 doses of Yervoy and had a rash and itching that was controlled with benadryl but developed colitis and was in the hospital for 3 days.  I could not finish the other 2 doses.  The doctor still said it worked.  Just be sure to watch for side effects and call right away.  Hope it all works out. 

Roxy1453
                                                                        Participant

Ginger8888
                                                                          Participant

Finished Yervoy Aug 13 with just a little fatigue and weight gain..Drink plenty of water.I drank V-8 juice 3x a day to get my veggie intake and threw in a couple nutritional drinks also..I had scans in Sept and it's working so far..Scans again next month..Good luck

jogo
                                                                              Participant

NED since surgery 06/06/13.  Only 2 infusions of 3 mg/K.  Had to stop because an irAE, immune related adverse event, diarrhea, which became colitis then severe inflammatory ulcerative colitis.  Remicade stopped the bleeding and harnessed my rampant immune system.  I was very unusual (a zebra among horses).  I repeat, NED since surgery 06/06/13!  Report diarrhea immediately to oncologist.  Keep track of temperature.  100.4 F or above call oncologist no matter what time of day.  I agree with Ginger888.  Hydrate!  water, V-8 juice, Ensure clear (in case dairy upsets gut).  As a precaution, look up what foods to avoid if one has crones or colitis before anything adverse happens and practice moderation.  I'm very optimistic about Yervoy.  Good Luck!

jogo
                                                                                Participant

NED since surgery 06/06/13.  Only 2 infusions of 3 mg/K.  Had to stop because an irAE, immune related adverse event, diarrhea, which became colitis then severe inflammatory ulcerative colitis.  Remicade stopped the bleeding and harnessed my rampant immune system.  I was very unusual (a zebra among horses).  I repeat, NED since surgery 06/06/13!  Report diarrhea immediately to oncologist.  Keep track of temperature.  100.4 F or above call oncologist no matter what time of day.  I agree with Ginger888.  Hydrate!  water, V-8 juice, Ensure clear (in case dairy upsets gut).  As a precaution, look up what foods to avoid if one has crones or colitis before anything adverse happens and practice moderation.  I'm very optimistic about Yervoy.  Good Luck!

jogo
                                                                                  Participant

Ginger8888
                                                                                  Participant

Finished Yervoy Aug 13 with just a little fatigue and weight gain..Drink plenty of water.I drank V-8 juice 3x a day to get my veggie intake and threw in a couple nutritional drinks also..I had scans in Sept and it's working so far..Scans again next month..Good luck

Ginger8888
                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics