The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Parkinson’s Disease and Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Parkinson’s Disease and Melanoma

Participant

Sorry, I didn’t mention in my last post that I also have Young Onset Parkinson’s Disease, which was diagnosed 10 years ago, aged 45.

My oncologist has not had anyone else with Parkinson’s.  No issues with my Parkinsons meds and debraf/meck but I wonder how immunotherapy will be?  Is there anyone else with both conditions? 

Thanks Fi 

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        jbronicki
        Participant

Hi Fi,

Let me premise this with I DON"T KNOW, but I wanted to respond as I have a husband with melanoma and my late father had parkinson's (which was actually Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, a secondary parkinsonism diseas) so I've researched both disease states a lot and they are such different disease states with very different presentations and pathologies and mechanisms of actions in how they bring disease to the body. I did find one case study on pubmed and it actually states that this is the first known discussion.  It was just one case and I'm attaching the citation here.  I have access to the full article (only two pages since just a letter to editor) if you need it since it's not open access yet, but it actually showed some improvement of parkinson's during treatment but couldn't attribute to immunotherapy.  What's interesting is when I first read your question, my first thought was could immunotherapy be beneficial rather than detrimental to parkinson's due to the nature of immunotherapy.  Hopefully they research this more as with the frequency of both diseases, unfortunately these two disease states will occur together.

Sustained remission of Parkinson disease associated melanoma with immunotherapy
              Shprecher, David R.Grossmann, Kenneth F.Tward, Jonathan D. et al.
              Parkinsonism & Related Disorders , Volume 20 , Issue 9 , 1027 – 1029

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24997547

Also, my best wishes to you, sorry that you have to deal with two very serious diseases, especially dealing with early onsent parkinson's.  Many hugs.

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics