The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pap smears and mammograms?

Forums General Melanoma Community Pap smears and mammograms?

Participant

Just wondering that if you are having pet scans every three months if you still have to do the regular Pap smears and mammograms and other screening for other common cancers? I keep getting reminders but it’s hard to get up the energy for more tests thanks

Anne-Louise 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

PET scans catch tumors and metabolic activity 5mm and larger.  Mammograms and pap smears are designed to catch things before they get that large and are specialized for those types of cancers. 

iskitwo
          Participant

I asked the same thing at my mammogram and the lady told me yes. These two types of test will catch problems sooner

jennunicorn
            Participant

Absolutely what the other posters have said, those tests are both designed as preventative care to catch anything very early if something were to arise. For paps, if you have always had regular paps then you can go every 3 years, you don't have to do those annually anymore if you don't want to. Insurance still covers if you do want to get a pap once a year though. We have to keep up with our regular annual things on top of our melanoma things, extra fun for us women. 🙂

Prd10
              Participant

Ugh yes.  My oncologist even recommended that I get a mammogram at 35 instead of 40 bc we are at a higher risk category apparently.  I'm 35 this year so we'll just see when that happens.  I feel like we do to the dr enough!

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics