The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Painful red lumps on zelboraf?

Forums General Melanoma Community Painful red lumps on zelboraf?

Participant

Hello to all. My wife has been diagnosed with melanoma stage 4. Mass in esophagus and small spots in both lungs. She started on zelboraf last Monday. We are in Canada, so ipi is only available as second line treatment.  First few days she felt great, but yesterday she started to develop red painfull lumps on her legs and a few on her arms. I read the side effects and it is listed as a possible side effect, but it did say to contact physician immediately if it was present. It's Sunday so we can't call the oncologist until tomorrow about them. She is having a really hard time today as they are extremely painfull.

Has anyone else on zelboraf experienced this, and if so did the symptoms last or go away?

Thanks,

Ased

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        paul
        Participant

Hello Ased.

Do you mean a rash? Lumps sounds like it might be a different sort of reaction. 

I had a serious Zelboraf rash. Was put on prednisone, took a week off, and then resumed at a reduced dose, and things did get better fairly quickly. It sounds from reading accounts that skin reactions are common and often dramatic: several people on this list have described going to the Emergency room for steroid IV. I think the instructions are to withold dose until talking to a physician if there is a serious reaction.

All the best to you and your wife,

Paul

paul
          Participant

Hello Ased.

I had a serious Zelboraf rash. Was put on prednisone, took a week off, and then resumed at a reduced dose, and things did get better fairly quickly. It sounds from reading accounts that skin reactions are common and often dramatic: several people on this list have described going to the Emergency room for steroid IV. I think the instructions are to withold dose until talking to a physician if there is a serious reaction.

Paul

paul
            Participant

Hello Ased.

Paul

bj63
              Participant

I had a painful, itchy rash when I first started Zelboraf, mainly on my lower legs and in patches on my trunk.  I treated them with OTC Cortizone-10 ointment, wore long cotton socks, and kept on going with no dose reduction.  The rash lasted for about 4 – 5 weeks and eventually subsided.

Talk to your doctor.

Ased
                  Participant

Thank you both for your input. This is more of a lump, painfull and swollen, not really a rash. We are going to call the oncologist tomorrow morning. Good to see there are options for treating some of the side effects. Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my post, it is appreciated!

Ased

Hi Ased,  I had a very similar situation on the bottom of my feet when I started using Zelboraf.  It was called "nodosum" and made walking very painful.  Fortunately, it resolved itself.  As a matter of fact, I was off Zelboraf for 2 weeks and the "nodosum" returned when I started the Zelboraf again.  It is resolving as we speak.  I hope your situation is the same.  Best wishes, Mary

Hi Ased,  I had a very similar situation on the bottom of my feet when I started using Zelboraf.  It was called "nodosum" and made walking very painful.  Fortunately, it resolved itself.  As a matter of fact, I was off Zelboraf for 2 weeks and the "nodosum" returned when I started the Zelboraf again.  It is resolving as we speak.  I hope your situation is the same.  Best wishes, Mary

Ased
                    Participant

Thank you both for your input. This is more of a lump, painfull and swollen, not really a rash. We are going to call the oncologist tomorrow morning. Good to see there are options for treating some of the side effects. Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my post, it is appreciated!

Ased

Ased
                      Participant

Ased

bj63
                      Participant

I had a painful, itchy rash when I first started Zelboraf, mainly on my lower legs and in patches on my trunk.  I treated them with OTC Cortizone-10 ointment, wore long cotton socks, and kept on going with no dose reduction.  The rash lasted for about 4 – 5 weeks and eventually subsided.

Talk to your doctor.

bj63
                        Participant

Talk to your doctor.

GAngel
                          Participant

Hi there. I'm sorry that your wife is experiencing this painful side effect from Zel, my husband  also suffered the same reaction. His dosage was reduced as a result and he also did intermittent dosing  of every other week. He was a total responder and switched to the combo while still responding to Zel to see if side effects were better with combo. He's been on combo for almost 9 months and remains NED!  I would ask about switching to combo as an option for your wife.

Best of luck to you both! I'll be praying for you and your wife. Never give up hope!

Gina

GAngel
                            Participant

Hi there. I'm sorry that your wife is experiencing this painful side effect from Zel, my husband  also suffered the same reaction. His dosage was reduced as a result and he also did intermittent dosing  of every other week. He was a total responder and switched to the combo while still responding to Zel to see if side effects were better with combo. He's been on combo for almost 9 months and remains NED!  I would ask about switching to combo as an option for your wife.

Best of luck to you both! I'll be praying for you and your wife. Never give up hope!

Gina

GAngel
                                Participant

P.s. The side effects are much more manageable on the combo for most patients!  However, if the combo isn't  an option for some reason then please know that Zel side effects do subside for many patients or can become manageable!!

GAngel
                                  Participant

P.s. The side effects are much more manageable on the combo for most patients!  However, if the combo isn't  an option for some reason then please know that Zel side effects do subside for many patients or can become manageable!!

GAngel
                                    Participant

GAngel
                                    Participant

Gina

Tina D
                                      Participant

Yes, I had these painful red bumps while on the zelboraf. They hurt lots! They would appear in a few places at once, then after several days those would go away. After some days more would appear elsewhere. After I was on the med for a few months the frequency did seem to lessen. I noticed they seemed to appear when my other symptoms were at their peak.

Tina

Tina D
                                        Participant

Yes, I had these painful red bumps while on the zelboraf. They hurt lots! They would appear in a few places at once, then after several days those would go away. After some days more would appear elsewhere. After I was on the med for a few months the frequency did seem to lessen. I noticed they seemed to appear when my other symptoms were at their peak.

Tina

Tina D
                                          Participant

Tina

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics