The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

pain management…not in bones

Forums General Melanoma Community pain management…not in bones

Participant

Sorry to bother you all again, but I just found out that the cancer is not in the bones…they "thought" it was in the bones because of the severe pain.  However, the pet showed no bone involvement.    So if anyone knows any good medication for severe pain, I would greatly appreciate some advice.

Thanks for your support!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bleeds
        Participant

Hi Tricia,

I had a chemo treatment in November (FCR) for CLL which I have had for 5+ years. A week after the chemo I had severe pain in my joints. Every joint in my body was killing me. Couldn't get out of bed. When I forced myself to get out, I was bent over and felt like a really old man. Doctor put me on a prednisone taper. Started off with 30mg for a week, then 20, 10, 5, and then 5 every other day for a week. After the first dose, I was like wow finally relief. Now when the joints heat up I take 2.5 dose and good for the whole day. I am new to melanoma and have no idea if you can take steroids but worth a chat with your doc.

Good luck an glad it's not in the bones….

Gary

triciad
            Participant

Gary,

Thanks so much for this information.  I know she is beginning chemo next week, so this might really come in handy!

I hope you are doing well and continue to do so for many more decades!!!

Tricia

triciad
              Participant

Gary,

Thanks so much for this information.  I know she is beginning chemo next week, so this might really come in handy!

Tricia

triciad
                Participant

Gary,

Tricia

Bleeds
                Participant

Hi Tricia,

I had a chemo treatment in November (FCR) for CLL which I have had for 5+ years. A week after the chemo I had severe pain in my joints. Every joint in my body was killing me. Couldn't get out of bed. When I forced myself to get out, I was bent over and felt like a really old man. Doctor put me on a prednisone taper. Started off with 30mg for a week, then 20, 10, 5, and then 5 every other day for a week. After the first dose, I was like wow finally relief. Now when the joints heat up I take 2.5 dose and good for the whole day. I am new to melanoma and have no idea if you can take steroids but worth a chat with your doc.

Gary

Bleeds
                  Participant

Hi Tricia,

Gary

jim Breitfeller
                    Participant

Pain management can improve quality of life at any stage of cancer, so managing your pain is your # 1 priority. An experienced Pain Management team cares for you throughout your treatment to help reduce your pain and ensure that you are comfortable. They use a variety of modalities to treat and control pain, including:

• Prescription medications
                      • Implanted pain pumps
                      • Nerve block therapies
                      • Physical therapy
                      • Acupuncture and auriculotherapy
                      • Massage therapy
                      • Relaxation techniques and guided imagery
                      • Chiropractic treatment

Jimmy B

triciad
                        Participant

Thanks Jimmy!

I've forwarded these suggestions to my friend.

Actually, some of these might come in handy for me after all of the shoveling!  A little massage therapy sounds really good right now.

Thanks again for your help!

Tricia

triciad
                          Participant

Thanks Jimmy!

Actually, some of these might come in handy for me after all of the shoveling!  A little massage therapy sounds really good right now.

Tricia

triciad
                            Participant

Thanks Jimmy!

Tricia

jim Breitfeller
                            Participant

Pain management can improve quality of life at any stage of cancer, so managing your pain is your # 1 priority. An experienced Pain Management team cares for you throughout your treatment to help reduce your pain and ensure that you are comfortable. They use a variety of modalities to treat and control pain, including:

• Implanted pain pumps
                              • Nerve block therapies
                              • Physical therapy
                              • Massage therapy
                              • Chiropractic treatment

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                              Participant

• Implanted pain pumps
                                • Nerve block therapies
                                • Physical therapy
                                • Massage therapy
                                • Chiropractic treatment

Jimmy B

Hi Tricia,  Cancer centers usually have wonderful Pain Management Departments.  I hope your friend advocates for the help that is needed.  Best wishes.

Hi Tricia,  Cancer centers usually have wonderful Pain Management Departments.  I hope your friend advocates for the help that is needed.  Best wishes.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics