The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pain in joints or hips with Yervoy?

Forums General Melanoma Community Pain in joints or hips with Yervoy?

Participant

Hi all,

I know there have been a lot of questions about Yervoy lately but my after my dad had his 2nd shot, he started to get extremely bad pain in his hip.  I haven't seen anybody post anything about this.  His doctors have ruled everything out so the only explanation we have is that it could be the Yervoy causing it.  This has been going on for several weeks so far and he's had no relief.  We are still hopeful that Yervoy is working for him though! 

Thanks!

Deidre (Father Stage IV)

Hi all,

I know there have been a lot of questions about Yervoy lately but my after my dad had his 2nd shot, he started to get extremely bad pain in his hip.  I haven't seen anybody post anything about this.  His doctors have ruled everything out so the only explanation we have is that it could be the Yervoy causing it.  This has been going on for several weeks so far and he's had no relief.  We are still hopeful that Yervoy is working for him though! 

Thanks!

Deidre (Father Stage IV)

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        TracyLee
        Participant

Deidre,

Where is your dad's melanoma located? A profile with some info would help us, help you.

Blessings and prayers for an ipi response for your dad!

TracyLee

Vermont_Donna
            Participant

Dear Deirdre,

Yervoy is an infusion…not a shot or injection and it takes several hours to be given, and there are 4 infusions, three weeks apart. Is this what he is on? Leukine would be an injection (three injections a week over months) and can cause bone pain, especially long bone pain, like the leg bones….just wondering.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

deirgey
              Participant

Hi Donna,

Sorry i was using the wrong terminology.  Yes he got infusions of IPI.  His doctor said he didn't have to follow the schedule of 3 weeks apart b/c that was just for the trials.  So since he got colitis, he had to delay his 3rd treatment a few weeks and was put on a steriod. 

Deidre

deirgey
                Participant

Hi Donna,

Sorry i was using the wrong terminology.  Yes he got infusions of IPI.  His doctor said he didn't have to follow the schedule of 3 weeks apart b/c that was just for the trials.  So since he got colitis, he had to delay his 3rd treatment a few weeks and was put on a steriod. 

Deidre

Vermont_Donna
                  Participant

Dear Deirdre,

Yervoy is an infusion…not a shot or injection and it takes several hours to be given, and there are 4 infusions, three weeks apart. Is this what he is on? Leukine would be an injection (three injections a week over months) and can cause bone pain, especially long bone pain, like the leg bones….just wondering.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

deirgey
                    Participant

Hi TracyLee,

My dad was dianosed with stage IV melanoma in Dec 10.  The melanoma was in his spine, liver, lungs and other places on his bones.  He had to have major back reconstructive surgery b/c the melanoma basically almost crushed 2 vertebrae in his spine.  He then had radiation after his back surgery in January and started on his first treatment of Avastine and Abraxane in March.  The first treatment either stopped or eliminated most of the cancer in all places except for the liver so his doctor pulled him from that treatment.  He started on IPI in May 2011 and have had 3 infusions so far.  After the 2nd infusion he started getting hip pain.  He did have a hip replacement a few years ago but he had an MRI and XRays and nothing seems to be out of place in the hip or back.  The doctor is also convinced it is not cancer in his hip causing the pain.  Our only conclusion is that it could be the steriod he took to help his colitis (Ipi reaction) or it was Ipi itself. 

Thanks for all help and prayers!! 

Deidre

deirgey
                      Participant

Hi TracyLee,

My dad was dianosed with stage IV melanoma in Dec 10.  The melanoma was in his spine, liver, lungs and other places on his bones.  He had to have major back reconstructive surgery b/c the melanoma basically almost crushed 2 vertebrae in his spine.  He then had radiation after his back surgery in January and started on his first treatment of Avastine and Abraxane in March.  The first treatment either stopped or eliminated most of the cancer in all places except for the liver so his doctor pulled him from that treatment.  He started on IPI in May 2011 and have had 3 infusions so far.  After the 2nd infusion he started getting hip pain.  He did have a hip replacement a few years ago but he had an MRI and XRays and nothing seems to be out of place in the hip or back.  The doctor is also convinced it is not cancer in his hip causing the pain.  Our only conclusion is that it could be the steriod he took to help his colitis (Ipi reaction) or it was Ipi itself. 

Thanks for all help and prayers!! 

Deidre

TracyLee
                      Participant

Deidre,

Where is your dad's melanoma located? A profile with some info would help us, help you.

Blessings and prayers for an ipi response for your dad!

TracyLee

MaryBeth and Jeff
                        Participant

Yes my husband finished up Yervoy on July 15.  After treatment number 3, he began feeling what he called "achy" and continues to feel weak, achy and stiff. So far we have seen miraculous results from the Yervoy in the disappearance and considerable shrinkage of his brain mets!!!!  Praise the Lord!!!! His body however is a different story. He has numerous sub'qs. And I mean numerous…(based on my mintoring these seemed to have appeared shortly after Yervoy treatment 3. I cannot say for sure if it is an immune response from the Yervoy or if its the cancer being aggressive.) We will not know until his 12 and 16 week scans. But yes to answer you question , my husband is having various aches and pains. 1 in his right gluteal of which the pain is very excrutiating. MRI did show a mass in his LEFT glute but a small tiny mass in his RIGHT..the one causing the most pain.  I want to post all side effects from Yerovy on this site but I cannot truly say (can anyone really?) that these are side effects of the Yervoy or actions of the cancer itself.

deirgey
                            Participant

CONGRATS to the shrinkage of the brain mets!!!!!!  That is unbelievable.  So happy for you both.  Let us know how the 12 and 16 week scans go.  We will be thinking about you!  Thanks for the info on the aches and pains.  We have no other explanation for my dad's pain either so it could just be the Yervoy.  Guess we'll see.

Deidre

deirgey
                              Participant

CONGRATS to the shrinkage of the brain mets!!!!!!  That is unbelievable.  So happy for you both.  Let us know how the 12 and 16 week scans go.  We will be thinking about you!  Thanks for the info on the aches and pains.  We have no other explanation for my dad's pain either so it could just be the Yervoy.  Guess we'll see.

Deidre

MaryBeth and Jeff
                              Participant

Yes my husband finished up Yervoy on July 15.  After treatment number 3, he began feeling what he called "achy" and continues to feel weak, achy and stiff. So far we have seen miraculous results from the Yervoy in the disappearance and considerable shrinkage of his brain mets!!!!  Praise the Lord!!!! His body however is a different story. He has numerous sub'qs. And I mean numerous…(based on my mintoring these seemed to have appeared shortly after Yervoy treatment 3. I cannot say for sure if it is an immune response from the Yervoy or if its the cancer being aggressive.) We will not know until his 12 and 16 week scans. But yes to answer you question , my husband is having various aches and pains. 1 in his right gluteal of which the pain is very excrutiating. MRI did show a mass in his LEFT glute but a small tiny mass in his RIGHT..the one causing the most pain.  I want to post all side effects from Yerovy on this site but I cannot truly say (can anyone really?) that these are side effects of the Yervoy or actions of the cancer itself.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics