The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Our Situation

Forums General Melanoma Community Our Situation

Participant

Happy New Year's to all!!!!! Just wanted to share my story with all of you. In 2008 I was diagnosed with a 4.1 mm melanoma lesion. Everything held together until 2012, then the zhit hit the fan. My melanoma spread to my brain, both lungs, kidney, gall bladder, liver and left adrenal gland. The only item that pleased me was a $100K life insurance policy offered at my employment without a medical exam. At this point in my life I accepted the fact that my time on earth was becoming quite limited, At this time period stage IV patients had an 11% chance of making two years. Then hot jeeper's crow, Dr Allison and Dr. Honjo brought upon us some marvelous immunotherapy therapies, Yervoy, Opdivo and Keytruda, (we should be seeing them in the news instead of the Kardahians constantly). I was so fortunate to be accepted in the very first clinical trial with the Opdivo and Yervoy therapies. At times I hardly ate for two weeks, hardly slept for a couple of weeks and just kept realizing my time was coming to an end. In August 2018, I to my surprise, was declared NED. Our group of 53 in the trial, had an 80% survival rate after two years. All of us are so fortunate to be living in the cusp of immunotherapy treatments, never has the oncology world seen such an improvement in patient's lives. So I am going to give all of you – hope. Hope is the only item that can defeat fear. Stay well, stay happy and keep all of the hope in your back pocket.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Awesome post to start 2019, John!!!  Love it!!!  Melanoma steals a lot from us personally, with some still paying the ultimate price.  BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We've come a long way, baby!!!  May more ratties make those survival rates 100% for EVERYONE!

Love you bunches, my friend.  May your coming year be filled with love and adventures!  celeste

Coragirl
          Participant

Thank you for sharing your story,it is the stories from the survivors that keep us all going! I remember when my husband had his first appointment with his oncologist and she said "it's a great time to have melanoma" I have heard that sentiment from his other doctors too . Immunotherapy is helping so many patients live longer. Thank you for the hope John.

sing123
            Participant

Thanks so much for this, John. Wow! Thanks for posting great hope on this NY day.

AMcReader
              Participant

Hi John! Thank you for sharing your wonderful story of hope on this New Year’s Day! There is no better way to start the year. Cheers to you and yours and decades of being NED!

jbronicki
                Participant

Hey John, Here's to a NED 2019 for you and many many more years of disease free living!  Those two year survival numbers for your clinical trial are pretty amazing compared to other treatments.  That truly is a huge ray of hope for any one with the disease or those of us that may get this in the future.  Just makes you want to hug all those researchers out there that work tirelessly on pursuing this knowledge and discovery.  Many cheers to immunotherapy! 

Anastasia
                  Participant

Thank you so much for your post.

So happy for everyone who made it though, we still have a lot of trials ahead, your post gives us hope.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics