The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Our Journey with Melanoma ended on NYE

Forums General Melanoma Community Our Journey with Melanoma ended on NYE

Participant

Just sharing the end of our story.

My father passed away on 01-01-2016 after battling stage 4 melanomas for 8 months. After being diagnosed with mutliple bleeding brain mets early October we had 2 really good months (compared to the time with zelboraf) with hospice care at home but without further cancer treatment (he had serious heart issues after one single dose of nivolumab). He didn't have any permanent cognitive issues after the bleeding had stopped and dexamethasone took care of the swelling. Doctors were really suprised how good he recovered. So he was able to enjoy all meals, drinks, could walk a bit but we all knew it wouldn't last forever. Then, some days before christmas he developed hemoptysis and was really short of breath the whole time. To fight his fatigue he received a blood transfusion which unfortunately didn't help anything. He didn't suffer great pain thanks to low dose morphin drips and after he became bedritten he got a morphin pump together with lorazepam. Final days were really tough for us all – the mechanical-like breathing in the last few hours will haunt me forever.

Now, i am not sure about hospice care only. It really was a great help and he could die at home, surrounded by his family. He didn't have to suffer pain i think. But, for the last 2 days or so i don't know because he couldn't answer any more. Doctors assured us he wouldn't have to endure pain with his medication.

On the other hand, with all the great news about new treatments all around it was especially hard for me not to do anything and i think i will forever think about the "what if…" and "maybe we should've continued nivolumab". Sure, his quality of life with zelboraf was really bad and even nivolumab knocked him down with fatigue, loss of appetite and heart issues… maybe even the bleeding was caused by it? We don't know for sure.

Thinking of Artie. He replied a lot to my posts and gave advice how my father could maybe make it until christmas. Artie literally tried everything and had to fight a lot of side effects and pain. He lost the fight, too. This reminds me that there still isn't a cure for lots of people even with all the good news about immunotherapy all over the media…

So, for all late Stage 4 Warriors out there: please write down your will how you want to be treated when you can't decide for yourself any more, for example when brain mets hit really fast or suddenly begin to bleed. Just in case. It is super hard for relatives when they have to decide wether to continue treatments or going into hospice care. 

Thanks everyone around here for giving good advices and sharing lots of information and even good news in some cases. Its good to hear that new treatments help more and more people fighting this ugly, horrible disease. Keep up the fight. 

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        jenny22
        Participant

Sending you condolences and good wishes. I am so sorry for the loss of your DAD…..hopefully someday soon we we will make even further progress with this lousy disease.

Again, so sorry for you and your family.

jenny

jenny22
          Participant

Sending you condolences and good wishes. I am so sorry for the loss of your DAD…..hopefully someday soon we we will make even further progress with this lousy disease.

jenny

jenny22
            Participant

jenny

jamieth29
              Participant
                I’m so sorry! We have such a long way to go in this fight. My thoughts are with you.
                Jamie
                  Rlukas79
                  Participant

My condolences to your family on your loss

Rlukas79
                    Participant

Rlukas79
                      Participant

jamieth29
                      Participant
                        I’m so sorry! We have such a long way to go in this fight. My thoughts are with you.
                        Jamie
                        jamieth29
                        Participant
                          Jamie
                          AshleyS
                          Participant

I'm so sorry. Thank you for your advice. I will add that information to my will. 

Ashley

AshleyS
                            Participant

I'm so sorry. Thank you for your advice. I will add that information to my will. 

Ashley

AshleyS
                              Participant

Ashley

BrianP
                                Participant

Great advice about the will.  I'm sorry for your loss.  Can't wait for a day when there is finally a real cure for everyone for this awful disease.

Brian

BrianP
                                  Participant

Great advice about the will.  I'm sorry for your loss.  Can't wait for a day when there is finally a real cure for everyone for this awful disease.

Brian

BrianP
                                    Participant

Brian

Scooby123
                                      Participant

So sorry for your loss, my heart goes out too you and your family. This is an awful disease and praying one day for a cure.

god bless

scooby❤️❤️

Scooby123
                                        Participant

So sorry for your loss, my heart goes out too you and your family. This is an awful disease and praying one day for a cure.

god bless

scooby❤️❤️

lmhl
                                            Participant

I too am so sorry for the lost of your father.  I recently loss my husband at a young age to melanoma.  I keep coming to site to see how everyone else is doing and to hear about all of the amazing stories of people beating melanoma with the new treatments available.  

I am constantly wondering where my husband's treatment went wrong and why he couldn't have been one of the "success" stories.  For us, it was only 8 months from the time he was diagnosed to the time he died. I am stuck wondering what we could have done differently. Artie too offered us much help as we went through this journey.  I miss his thoughtful and informed responses.  Although we have come a long way in the treatment of melanoma, I guess we still have a long way to go.  My thoughts and best wishes go out to all of you still walking this journey.  I am doing as much as possible to inform people about this misunderstood cancer.

lmhl
                                              Participant

I too am so sorry for the lost of your father.  I recently loss my husband at a young age to melanoma.  I keep coming to site to see how everyone else is doing and to hear about all of the amazing stories of people beating melanoma with the new treatments available.  

I am constantly wondering where my husband's treatment went wrong and why he couldn't have been one of the "success" stories.  For us, it was only 8 months from the time he was diagnosed to the time he died. I am stuck wondering what we could have done differently. Artie too offered us much help as we went through this journey.  I miss his thoughtful and informed responses.  Although we have come a long way in the treatment of melanoma, I guess we still have a long way to go.  My thoughts and best wishes go out to all of you still walking this journey.  I am doing as much as possible to inform people about this misunderstood cancer.

lmhl
                                                Participant

Scooby123
                                                Participant

god bless

scooby❤️❤️

rosa1
                                                  Participant

I'm so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Rosa

rosa1
                                                    Participant

Rosa

rosa1
                                                      Participant

Rosa

AllysonRuth
                                                        Participant

I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad.  I appreciate your willingness to share your thoughts, feeling and suggestions.  Lots of prayers your way…

Allyson

Stage IV, brain, lung, and small intestine mets

AllysonRuth
                                                          Participant

I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad.  I appreciate your willingness to share your thoughts, feeling and suggestions.  Lots of prayers your way…

Allyson

AllysonRuth
                                                            Participant

Allyson

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics