The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Opdivo/Yervoy and itching

Forums General Melanoma Community Opdivo/Yervoy and itching

Participant

I have been very fortunate thus far I believe with my treatment. I am 43 and was in good health lol. Diagnosed quickly with an aggressive Stage 4 Melanoma that spread from my rectum to my pelvis and my liver. I have completed 3 rounds of the opdivo/yervoy combo and must within each 3 week period only a few bad days each time. With that said, the last 2 weks itching has reared its ugly head and then some. I started off trying cooler shower fragrance free soap. Then added benadry, then dr prescribed periactin, and has since switched my to vistaril. Nothing seems to slow this itch monster down. Anyone with any helpful advice on the matter would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance, your fellow cancer destroyer!!

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Johnjk04
        Participant

Melanoma in my brain, lungs, liver, adrenal gland and gall bladder at the start of 2012. Started the ippi/nivo trial and itched real bad for a little over 2 years. Nothing seemed to relieve it. As of Aug. 2012 there has been no evidence of cancer. So we just have to keep in our minds that the constant itch is part of the de-cancering process. No itch now and NED for 3 1/2 years. Best wishes to you.

Johnjk04
          Participant

Melanoma in my brain, lungs, liver, adrenal gland and gall bladder at the start of 2012. Started the ippi/nivo trial and itched real bad for a little over 2 years. Nothing seemed to relieve it. As of Aug. 2012 there has been no evidence of cancer. So we just have to keep in our minds that the constant itch is part of the de-cancering process. No itch now and NED for 3 1/2 years. Best wishes to you.

maxresultsbc
              Participant
                Thank you for the reply and very happy for you
                maxresultsbc
                Participant
                  maxresultsbc
                  Participant
                  Johnjk04
                  Participant

snoopyinoc
                    Participant

My husband is Stage 4 and on the opdivo/yervoy combo. Like you my husband is in good health other than the cancer ofcourse (humor always helps). Before he started treament he had mets in his liver, lower back and shoulder. After the fourth infusion he had a PET scan and it showed NED. We are very thankful the treatment is working. He will continue Opdivo every two weeks for an indefinite amouont of time. His side effects started after the 3rd round. SIde effects were itching, headache, fatigue and loss of appetite. He had mild nasuea and diahrea,  After the 3rd round his doctor prescribed prednisone or oral steriods. He prescribed 10 MG a day with further discussions of tapering off.

His itching was pretty bad and we tried all kinds of stuff like you, but what worked was the steriods. Without the steriods he feels pretty awful and with the steroids he feels somewhat 'normal'.  You may ask your Onc about this to see if this is right for you.

I hope for the best of luck for you with your treatment!

maxresultsbc
                        Participant
                          So happy to read these NED responses! Thank you
                          maxresultsbc
                          Participant
                            maxresultsbc
                            Participant
                            snoopyinoc
                            Participant

My husband is Stage 4 and on the opdivo/yervoy combo. Like you my husband is in good health other than the cancer ofcourse (humor always helps). Before he started treament he had mets in his liver, lower back and shoulder. After the fourth infusion he had a PET scan and it showed NED. We are very thankful the treatment is working. He will continue Opdivo every two weeks for an indefinite amouont of time. His side effects started after the 3rd round. SIde effects were itching, headache, fatigue and loss of appetite. He had mild nasuea and diahrea,  After the 3rd round his doctor prescribed prednisone or oral steriods. He prescribed 10 MG a day with further discussions of tapering off.

His itching was pretty bad and we tried all kinds of stuff like you, but what worked was the steriods. Without the steriods he feels pretty awful and with the steroids he feels somewhat 'normal'.  You may ask your Onc about this to see if this is right for you.

snoopyinoc
                              Participant

sweetaugust
                                Participant

Hi there, I've been on Pembro (Keytruda) for 3.5 years now.  For the first year I had the itchy/burning rash on my chest, and then in my 2nd year that disappeared and rash moved to the back of my scalp.  What finally worked for me and got rid of the itching and rash was using a few drops of Tea Tree Oil and Natures Gate Colloidal Oatmeal lotion.  I also used some Coconut Oil too.  The Tea Tree Oil has a medicine like smell, but it healed me and that was worth it to me.  

Best of luck, Laurie

sweetaugust
                                  Participant

Hi there, I've been on Pembro (Keytruda) for 3.5 years now.  For the first year I had the itchy/burning rash on my chest, and then in my 2nd year that disappeared and rash moved to the back of my scalp.  What finally worked for me and got rid of the itching and rash was using a few drops of Tea Tree Oil and Natures Gate Colloidal Oatmeal lotion.  I also used some Coconut Oil too.  The Tea Tree Oil has a medicine like smell, but it healed me and that was worth it to me.  

Best of luck, Laurie

sweetaugust
                                    Participant

Best of luck, Laurie

Issy
                                      Participant

Hi,

I feel for you, my brother is on the same meds as you and is  taking Hydroxyzine Pamoate 50 mg, three times a day for the itching.  I believe this is the same as Vistaril. My brother wanted me to suggest  you go to the drugstore and get oatmeal bath, (Aveeno ) or any brand. He says that it soothes for a couple of hours and is a great break !  Also, Caladryl clear is also wonderful, at the drugstore as well. You can appy 3 or 4 times a day (read instructions)

I am hopeful this will help you out !  Hang in there.  You are all SUPER WARRIORS !!!!

Let me know how this works for you.

Iris

Issy
                                        Participant

Hi,

I feel for you, my brother is on the same meds as you and is  taking Hydroxyzine Pamoate 50 mg, three times a day for the itching.  I believe this is the same as Vistaril. My brother wanted me to suggest  you go to the drugstore and get oatmeal bath, (Aveeno ) or any brand. He says that it soothes for a couple of hours and is a great break !  Also, Caladryl clear is also wonderful, at the drugstore as well. You can appy 3 or 4 times a day (read instructions)

I am hopeful this will help you out !  Hang in there.  You are all SUPER WARRIORS !!!!

Iris

Issy
                                          Participant

Hi,

Iris

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics