The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

opdivo side effects?

Forums General Melanoma Community opdivo side effects?

Participant

My husband is on his 3 treatment of Opdivo and having many unpleasant side effects.  Curious as to what others are experiencing as well.

thank you!

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Tried to put this in one post but was blocked. Will try in parts.

Link to anti-PD1 side effects generally:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/10/side-effects-of-nivolumab.html

Bubbles
          Participant

Link to anti-PD1 side effects generally:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/10/side-effects-of-nivolumab.html

Bubbles
            Participant

Bubbles
              Participant

Long boring post of my side effects and when they appeared during my 2 1/2 tyear nivo/opdivo trial:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/10/side-effects-of-nivolumabmy-story.html

Bubbles
                Participant

Long boring post of my side effects and when they appeared during my 2 1/2 tyear nivo/opdivo trial:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/10/side-effects-of-nivolumabmy-story.html

Bubbles
                  Participant

Bubbles
                    Participant

And finally…link to a recent post and excellent webinar by 2 melanoma experts regarding side effects and how to treat them:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/09/side-effects-and-how-to-manage-them-in.html

I wish you and your husband my best. Celeste

Bubbles
                      Participant

And finally…link to a recent post and excellent webinar by 2 melanoma experts regarding side effects and how to treat them:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/09/side-effects-and-how-to-manage-them-in.html

Bubbles
                        Participant

emagdnim83
                          Participant

Watch out for heart issues. There is at least one documented case of deadly heart failure with pembrolizumab which is very similar to nivolumab (opdivo): 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25901283

My father had a dangerously low heart beat rate (38) after his first dose of nivolumab. He suffers from atrial fibrillation for at least 20 years now so maybe people who already have heart issues should be careful while on immunotherapy. He also developed pneumonitis and fatigue for some weeks after his infusion. He didn't get a second dose.

Best of luck to you and your husband.

emagdnim83
                            Participant

Watch out for heart issues. There is at least one documented case of deadly heart failure with pembrolizumab which is very similar to nivolumab (opdivo): 

My father had a dangerously low heart beat rate (38) after his first dose of nivolumab. He suffers from atrial fibrillation for at least 20 years now so maybe people who already have heart issues should be careful while on immunotherapy. He also developed pneumonitis and fatigue for some weeks after his infusion. He didn't get a second dose.

emagdnim83
                              Participant

blessd4x
                                Participant

Thank you all for the feedback!  My husband is having severe pains in his pelvic area, "hot flashes" if you will, constipation, fatigue and now having some pretty serious memory issues.  I know theres a laundry list of side effects and not everyone gets them all.  Of course, Im concerned about them along with every cough and sneeze.  Its a roller coaster as you all know. 

blessd4x
                                  Participant

Thank you all for the feedback!  My husband is having severe pains in his pelvic area, "hot flashes" if you will, constipation, fatigue and now having some pretty serious memory issues.  I know theres a laundry list of side effects and not everyone gets them all.  Of course, Im concerned about them along with every cough and sneeze.  Its a roller coaster as you all know. 

emagdnim83
                                      Participant

Uh oh, "serious memory issues" could also be a symptom of brain mets or a stroke (maybe caused by bleeding brain mets)!  Please let this be monitored asap.

emagdnim83
                                        Participant

Uh oh, "serious memory issues" could also be a symptom of brain mets or a stroke (maybe caused by bleeding brain mets)!  Please let this be monitored asap.

blessd4x
                                          Participant

thank you for that!  He even got into MY car the other day to go somewhere.. He's never driven my car..his last MRI in september showed a very small spot in the brain that could not be determined what it is because it is so small.  At that point they were not concerned.  He's supposed to get another PET scan in January. The memory issues started a couple weeks ago and are getting worse.

blessd4x
                                            Participant

thank you for that!  He even got into MY car the other day to go somewhere.. He's never driven my car..his last MRI in september showed a very small spot in the brain that could not be determined what it is because it is so small.  At that point they were not concerned.  He's supposed to get another PET scan in January. The memory issues started a couple weeks ago and are getting worse.

blessd4x
                                              Participant

ed williams
                                                Participant

There is nothing that I have come across in my research that would suggest that the symptoms you are talking about as far as memory would be associated with Opdivo. They do list under 5 to 20% chance of happening "confusion" caused by low blood phosphate level. However my own experience tells me that brain mets pop up fast and the sooner treated the better the outcome. I would push for an appointment with your oncologist to discuss the side effects he is having. With melanoma and Pd-1 drugs communication with your oncologist is very important. Wishing you the best!!!! Ed

ed williams
                                                  Participant

There is nothing that I have come across in my research that would suggest that the symptoms you are talking about as far as memory would be associated with Opdivo. They do list under 5 to 20% chance of happening "confusion" caused by low blood phosphate level. However my own experience tells me that brain mets pop up fast and the sooner treated the better the outcome. I would push for an appointment with your oncologist to discuss the side effects he is having. With melanoma and Pd-1 drugs communication with your oncologist is very important. Wishing you the best!!!! Ed

ed williams
                                                    Participant

emagdnim83
                                                      Participant

Please call your oncologist NOW.

emagdnim83
                                                        Participant

blessd4x
                                                          Participant

I called her and she wants to do an MRI asap.  My husband is refusing…..

blessd4x
                                                            Participant

emagdnim83
                                                              Participant

Maybe ask her how about giving him Dexamthasone? This is a serious situation – if brain mets are bleeding damage could be permanent if he isn't treated as soon as possible. Please try to convince him.

emagdnim83
                                                                Participant

Maybe ask her how about giving him Dexamthasone? This is a serious situation – if brain mets are bleeding damage could be permanent if he isn't treated as soon as possible. Please try to convince him.

blessd4x
                                                                  Participant

Im definitely trying to convince him. Im so lost and angry.  He doesnt see what I see happening.

blessd4x
                                                                    Participant

Im definitely trying to convince him. Im so lost and angry.  He doesnt see what I see happening.

blessd4x
                                                                      Participant

emagdnim83
                                                                        Participant

blessd4x
                                                                          Participant

emagdnim83
                                                                            Participant

emagdnim83
                                                                              Participant

blessd4x
                                                                              Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics