The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Opdivo response

Forums General Melanoma Community Opdivo response

Participant

Just curious to see what opinions there are out there.  My husband, stage IV, had 8mm tumor removed almost a year ago, unknown primary.  scans have been clear, Thank God.  12 opdivo treatments that ended in April.  The after effects of the opdivo have been worse now than when he was on it.  Theres been no other growths since the one removed, which is good.  Dr's are keeping a very close eye on him since theres nothing really to measure if the Opdivo is working for him or not.  The last 3 months he's seen his Derm and yesterday she noticed a spot she called pre cancerous on his face.  zapped it and said he would have a blister that would go away in a couple of weeks.  Seemed unconcerned.  Well Im now wondering, is this indicative that the Opdivo is not working or am I overthinking?  Something I am definitely prone to doing. 

I wonder if he should mention this to his onc?  He is scheduled for a PET scan next week too.

Thank you everyone.  You've been my rock. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Polymath
        Participant

Hello Anon,

Definitely over-thinking.  The "pre-cancerous" benign lesions commonly removed via liquid nitrogen have nothing to do with his melanoma.  In that regard, it's good news for you folks that after catching a tumor while it was small, and taking aggressive treatment  with nivolumab he is remaining cancer free, Best wishes to stay that way.

Gary

Polymath
          Participant

Hello Anon,

Definitely over-thinking.  The "pre-cancerous" benign lesions commonly removed via liquid nitrogen have nothing to do with his melanoma.  In that regard, it's good news for you folks that after catching a tumor while it was small, and taking aggressive treatment  with nivolumab he is remaining cancer free, Best wishes to stay that way.

Gary

Polymath
            Participant

Hello Anon,

Gary

geriakt
              Participant

I have had 25 treatments of high dose Opdivo. Just finished. No serious side effects. I am on a trial at stage IIIB. 

Can you tell me what type of side effects he is having after treatment?

Tom

Beehappy
                  Participant

Hello Tom.

How are you feeling?  Are you done with the infusions? We are preparing for the 1 year scans and hope to finish the 1st week of Sept.

I am also curious about the after effects of the Opdivo.

Rebecca

geriakt
                    Participant

Hi Rebecca,

I feel outstanding. I have my last Opdivo infusion in one more week Aug 24. 25 Opdivo high dose infusions. I am/have been cancer free for the past year. I get it fulll body CT scans every 12 weeks and all are clear. 

My study is either high dose IPI or NIVO double blind. I know I am getting the NIVO based on when I get my side effects or how I feel when I am done with the infusion.  Over the past 50 weeks I have had rash, itching, back pain, and short term memory loss. All side effects have gone away.  

I will be watched on my trial monthly now for the next 3 years with scans every 6 months. If you have any questions you can email me at [email protected].

Tom 

geriakt
                      Participant

Hi Rebecca,

I feel outstanding. I have my last Opdivo infusion in one more week Aug 24. 25 Opdivo high dose infusions. I am/have been cancer free for the past year. I get it fulll body CT scans every 12 weeks and all are clear. 

My study is either high dose IPI or NIVO double blind. I know I am getting the NIVO based on when I get my side effects or how I feel when I am done with the infusion.  Over the past 50 weeks I have had rash, itching, back pain, and short term memory loss. All side effects have gone away.  

I will be watched on my trial monthly now for the next 3 years with scans every 6 months. If you have any questions you can email me at [email protected].

Tom 

geriakt
                        Participant

Hi Rebecca,

Tom 

Beehappy
                          Participant

Hello Tom.

How are you feeling?  Are you done with the infusions? We are preparing for the 1 year scans and hope to finish the 1st week of Sept.

Rebecca

Beehappy
                            Participant

Hello Tom.

Rebecca

geriakt
                            Participant

I have had 25 treatments of high dose Opdivo. Just finished. No serious side effects. I am on a trial at stage IIIB. 

Tom

geriakt
                              Participant

Tom

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics