The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

One Year Anniversary

Forums General Melanoma Community One Year Anniversary

Participant

Today is the one anniversary of my Stage 2, Clark's Level V melanoma removal from my upper-back.  Doctors removed about a tennis ball-sized amount of tissue, then had to go back in about a week later to "clean up" the margins.  I had a 3.5 inch by 6 inch skin graft from my thigh to cover the "flap" created by the plastic surgeon.  I'm about fully recovered as far as movement and stamina are concerned.  However, I still get minor aches and pains when I do to much heavy lifting or other activities.

Today is the one anniversary of my Stage 2, Clark's Level V melanoma removal from my upper-back.  Doctors removed about a tennis ball-sized amount of tissue, then had to go back in about a week later to "clean up" the margins.  I had a 3.5 inch by 6 inch skin graft from my thigh to cover the "flap" created by the plastic surgeon.  I'm about fully recovered as far as movement and stamina are concerned.  However, I still get minor aches and pains when I do to much heavy lifting or other activities.  I still can't seem to exercise as much as I used to, and, unfortunately, swimming is almost completely out.  I will see a plastic surgeon in a few weeks to look at the scar tissue (including what's left of my "flap").  It may require an additional procedure.

In February of this year, while still recovering from November's surgery, I had two (2) in situ melanomas removed – one on my upper cheek, the other on my upper back (on the other side).  Needless to say, this past winter and spring were not pleasant for me or for my family.

I hope and pray that everyone who suffers through this disease continues to get better and gets the best possible treatment.

Unfortunately for me, I feel that every visit to the dermatologist is just another "shoe waiting to drop."

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        scots
        Participant
          Congrats on your one anniversary .

Scot

scots
          Participant

Scot

scots
            Participant

Scot

BethA in VA
              Participant

One year is great!  Celebrate the good news.  You will always be waiting for the next shoe to drop, but while you wait..don't forget to.live.  Don't spend time worrying, as it solves nothing.  I hope you will be one of the lucky ones and you will never see another melanoma report.  Good luck.    BethA   3/B

NYKaren
                  Participant
                    Congrats on a year.
                    I’m “managing” IIIC metastatic cutaneous Mel–everything helps a little but nothing gets me NED. It helps me to remember where I was a year ago–traveling back and forth to Yale-New Haven for IL-2. Not fun, to say the least!
                    Tomorrow I start a brand new clinical trial.
                    Good luck to us both!
                    NYKaren
                    Participant
                      Congrats on a year.
                      I’m “managing” IIIC metastatic cutaneous Mel–everything helps a little but nothing gets me NED. It helps me to remember where I was a year ago–traveling back and forth to Yale-New Haven for IL-2. Not fun, to say the least!
                      Good luck to us both!
                      NYKaren
                      Participant
                        Congrats on a year.
                        Good luck to us both!
                      BethA in VA
                      Participant

One year is great!  Celebrate the good news.  You will always be waiting for the next shoe to drop, but while you wait..don't forget to.live.  Don't spend time worrying, as it solves nothing.  I hope you will be one of the lucky ones and you will never see another melanoma report.  Good luck.    BethA   3/B

BethA in VA
                        Participant

DonJ
                          Participant

Congratulations on your milestone.  Don't worry about the other shoe, you can't control that.  Hope is what keeps us going and you should never loose that.  We battled melanoma four years with our Daughter (Interfuron, IL-2, clinical trials, CTLA-4, etc) and the one thing that kept us going was hope from the medical staff.  This went on for four years.  Without hope we may not have made it past the second year.

Keep your head up and enjoy each day!

DonJ
                            Participant

Congratulations on your milestone.  Don't worry about the other shoe, you can't control that.  Hope is what keeps us going and you should never loose that.  We battled melanoma four years with our Daughter (Interfuron, IL-2, clinical trials, CTLA-4, etc) and the one thing that kept us going was hope from the medical staff.  This went on for four years.  Without hope we may not have made it past the second year.

DonJ
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics