The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

One dose of Yervoy and a response

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community One dose of Yervoy and a response

Participant

Hi guys.  I had my first dose of Yervoy and Temodar three weeks ago (after completing 6 weeks of IL-2 and the discovery of brain mets).  6 days after the infusion I developed some pretty miserable diarrhea.  At the same time, I could feel my subcutaneous tumors shrinking.  I did end up going on steroids, from which we are in the process of tapering off of. 

Hi guys.  I had my first dose of Yervoy and Temodar three weeks ago (after completing 6 weeks of IL-2 and the discovery of brain mets).  6 days after the infusion I developed some pretty miserable diarrhea.  At the same time, I could feel my subcutaneous tumors shrinking.  I did end up going on steroids, from which we are in the process of tapering off of. 

I went to the Dr. this week so excited to show him the tumors that were so ugly (visible and black) are now nothing more than tiny tight seeds that you had to dig deep to find.  The biggest one in my breast you can't find at all.  I do have a few small ones hanging around, but the biggest news is, I haven't felt anything new in the last 3 weeks (that has not been the pattern).

I assumed this was the Temodar at work, as I understood IPI takes a while to kick in.  When I mentioned this he said the Temodar isn't that potent of a chemotherapy, that this is likely a reaction from the IPI.  AWESOME!!!  Now I just need to be able to wean from the steroids and we try again in a few weeks, and hope that what is happening on the surface is happening all over, brain included. 

I have scans again in September.  There was a point I didn't know if I would ever see a September.  What a roller coaster! 

Thanks for all your courageous examples. 

Viewing 35 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Very,very HAPPY for you Ali. Always great to read such encouraging posts.Makes my day and so many others on this site.May it only get better and better news from your doc.Keep us posted .Will be in my prayers. Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
          Participant

Very,very HAPPY for you Ali. Always great to read such encouraging posts.Makes my day and so many others on this site.May it only get better and better news from your doc.Keep us posted .Will be in my prayers. Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
            Participant

s Mom
              Participant

YAY!!  It's good to hear about the quick response to ippi.  That is pretty remarkable – you must have a good immune system 🙂  I think of you often since both you and Jeff did IL2 at the same time (it didn't work for Jeff), and you each have 3 children.  He also had to go on steroids after his severe side effects to Zelboraf.  I'll pray that your upcoming scans and Jeff's show shrinkage (he is getting scanned in September also).  Keep us informed and enjoy the rest of the summer with your family (that's what Jeff is doing).  God Bless!

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                Participant

YAY!!  It's good to hear about the quick response to ippi.  That is pretty remarkable – you must have a good immune system 🙂  I think of you often since both you and Jeff did IL2 at the same time (it didn't work for Jeff), and you each have 3 children.  He also had to go on steroids after his severe side effects to Zelboraf.  I'll pray that your upcoming scans and Jeff's show shrinkage (he is getting scanned in September also).  Keep us informed and enjoy the rest of the summer with your family (that's what Jeff is doing).  God Bless!

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                  Participant

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

Richard_K
                    Participant
                      Wow! Great news, so happy for you, keep it up.
                      Dick
                      Richard_K
                      Participant
                        Dick
                        Richard_K
                        Participant
                          Dick
                          Rebecca and Bob
                          Participant

Ali,

So happy for you to read your post. I'm praying that everything on the inside is going away just as fast. This is a rough rollercoaster ride, but this sounds very positive. I hope you continue getting great news to NED.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                            Participant

Ali,

So happy for you to read your post. I'm praying that everything on the inside is going away just as fast. This is a rough rollercoaster ride, but this sounds very positive. I hope you continue getting great news to NED.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                              Participant

Ali,

Rebecca

triciad
                                Participant

Ali,

Reading your post was the best birthday present!  You've been through so much; it's great to hear some positive news.  You're a beautifiul girl with an award-winning personality…you can do this!!!!  You'll be in my prayers for continued success!  Please keep us posted.

Tricia

triciad
                                  Participant

Ali,

Reading your post was the best birthday present!  You've been through so much; it's great to hear some positive news.  You're a beautifiul girl with an award-winning personality…you can do this!!!!  You'll be in my prayers for continued success!  Please keep us posted.

Tricia

triciad
                                    Participant

Ali,

Tricia

awillett1991
                                      Participant
                                        Congrats on your great news! I hope everything continues to go well! Miracles are possible!
                                        awillett1991
                                        Participant
                                          Congrats on your great news! I hope everything continues to go well! Miracles are possible!
                                          awillett1991
                                          Participant
                                            washoegal
                                            Participant

Great news!

Probably never know which it was, maybe it was the combination of both, which I would be more inclined to believe.  Whatever it is, here's to becoming NED.

Best Wishes,

Mary

Stage3

washoegal
                                              Participant

Great news!

Probably never know which it was, maybe it was the combination of both, which I would be more inclined to believe.  Whatever it is, here's to becoming NED.

Best Wishes,

Mary

Stage3

washoegal
                                                Participant

Great news!

Best Wishes,

Mary

Stage3

King
                                                  Participant

Ali,

This is great news!!!  Hang onto hope and take one day at a time.  Prayers and good thoughts going to you and your family.  Keep us posted.  We're cheering you on.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV  7/05  Liver Mets

King
                                                    Participant

Ali,

This is great news!!!  Hang onto hope and take one day at a time.  Prayers and good thoughts going to you and your family.  Keep us posted.  We're cheering you on.

Stay Strong

King

King
                                                      Participant

Ali,

Stay Strong

King

gabsound
                                                        Participant
                                                          Ali,
                                                          Fantastic news!! I’ve been thinking about you and am so happy to hear you are having a response. Hoping it continues to get better from here!

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                          Participant
                                                            Ali,
                                                            Fantastic news!! I’ve been thinking about you and am so happy to hear you are having a response. Hoping it continues to get better from here!

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                            Participant
                                                              Ali,

Julie in Las Vegas

mzeigler
                                                              Participant

Good for you Ali.  You are one of the very fortunate ones to get a good response from ipi.  And after only one treatment.  I'm sure having great news like this is so up lifting for you.  Prayers for continued great success.

Mike

mzeigler
                                                                Participant

Good for you Ali.  You are one of the very fortunate ones to get a good response from ipi.  And after only one treatment.  I'm sure having great news like this is so up lifting for you.  Prayers for continued great success.

Mike

mzeigler
                                                                  Participant

Mike

Phil S
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Ali, LOVE your news! That’s incredible that yervoy works so fast for you, YEA!! Maybe, all those rounds of IL2 geared up your immune system! Let’s hope and pray you get the second dose, and good response continues! Love your attitude and spirit! Keep up the fight! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                                      Phil S
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        Ali, LOVE your news! That’s incredible that yervoy works so fast for you, YEA!! Maybe, all those rounds of IL2 geared up your immune system! Let’s hope and pray you get the second dose, and good response continues! Love your attitude and spirit! Keep up the fight! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                                        Phil S
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          MaryD
                                                                          Participant

Fantastic news Ali – so happy for you!  Sending good thoughts and prayers that the great results continue as you are clearly a responder.

Hoping you can do something special for yourself to celebrate!

Mary

MaryD
                                                                            Participant

Fantastic news Ali – so happy for you!  Sending good thoughts and prayers that the great results continue as you are clearly a responder.

Mary

MaryD
                                                                              Participant

Mary

Viewing 35 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics