The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

On having a good day.

Forums General Melanoma Community On having a good day.

Participant

Today was a good day! Not because anything changed with me, but because I let myself have a really good day! I spent time with family, took a short road trip, and for several hours I "didn't have" cancer. Don't get me wrong this wasn't denial, this was simply embracing life and living in the moment rather than the future or the past.

I'm sure many of us have these days and this isn't something novel but I think its a good reminder that we CAN have these days. In fact, I want to have many more days just like this! I want to harness this in some way and be more present and in the moment every single day. In many ways I believe this is how we beat cancer, perhaps in the most important way this is how we beat cancer. I have wrestled with the idea of physically beating cancer but what if nothing else changed? What if I became NED and I learned nothing from it? What if I went back to the usual grind of stress, living to work, and deprioritizing the most important things in life…I will have learned nothing from this. No way amigos, that isn't for me.

If this teaches me anything, it absolutely has to be that everything in my life needs to be repriotized. No more guilt for taking time for simple things, no stress about that work project that "must" get done right this second and NOT doing it right now, no hard feelings because I wanted to hang out and stare at some trees, or birds flittering around, talking to people a little longer, or just listening to the world around me. Live, live right now in this moment and be glad you did!

B

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jahendry12
        Participant

Love it!  My New Years resolution which I strive to perfect every single day – 'I choose to live in the present moment.  When my mind wanders to the past or the future, I gently bring it back to the now. For it is here that I am alive. It is here where life truly lives.'

Momofjake
          Participant

Just perfect. I think Jake does this very well❤️❤️  The more good days you have the better you are no matter what:) 

Keep it up! 

Kerri

stars
            Participant

Word! Glad you had a good day. I remember at time of diagnosis I was so shocked for so long I found it hard to enjoy anything… you have a much better approach!

Anonymous
              Inactive

Absolutely spot on! It does, it seems, take a concerted effort to re-arrange your priorities when you're thinking about melanoma 24/7. Being able to enjoy life makes a huge difference, in my opinion. At the very least, it makes people wonder what you're smiling at!

Chris R
                Participant
                  Amen. The reality is that anyone could be hit by a truck before the day ends.

A melanoma diagnosis cannot help but make one face their mortality. While I have responded well to treatment and am officially in full remission as of today, I certainly will never take another day for granted. Sunrises are just that much more beautiful.

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics