The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Okay to take Motrin with ipi/nivo for flu-like symptoms?

Forums General Melanoma Community Okay to take Motrin with ipi/nivo for flu-like symptoms?

Participant
      Hi All –

I woke up in the middle of the night with flu-like symptoms after second infusion of ipi/nivo. I alternated Tylenol and Motrin which helped and now day am day 2 post infusion and symptoms are much better. Still have some lingering aches. Is it okay to take Motrin as needed on immunotherapy? Any contraindications?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          First and most importantly – ask your doc.  The most likely answer is that either tylenol or advil would be fine for those sorts of symptom or joint pain.  It is important to note that tylenol is metabolized in the liver, while advil is metabolized by the kidneys.  Given that information, your function of those organs could impact choices.  On another interesting note ~ there are studies that indicated NSAID’s actually improved the action of immuotherapy!  There are others, however, that poo poo’d the whole idea.  Here are lots of reports on that topic if you are interested:  https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=NSAID%27s  

Hope that helps. – c

Christinad
          Participant
            Thank you Celeste.  I took your advice and reached out to my oncologist and he gave me the go ahead to take Motrin and/or Tylenol and also said Claritin may help alleviate pain.  The articles you shared are interesting. Looks like Motrin certainly won’t hurt anything and may be beneficial, so win win! Trying to avoid Tylenol as much as possible because liver enzymes are starting to creep up but still within parameters to get my infusion. Don’t want to run the risk of cycle 3 being delayed so trying to keep my liver as healthy as possible. Even stopped all supplements for now just in case.
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics