The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Off Topic Isn’t Anything NON MELANOMA Anymore? Almost Anything.

Forums General Melanoma Community Off Topic Isn’t Anything NON MELANOMA Anymore? Almost Anything.

Participant

Old Timer just checking in. Not sure about the new format and rules, just a question.

Was a time when it was nice to come to the OTTB and get a break from cancer talk.  Too bad that is not the case anymore. Guess cancer does that to everyone. Shows up and surprises a few.

Old Timer just checking in. Not sure about the new format and rules, just a question.

Was a time when it was nice to come to the OTTB and get a break from cancer talk.  Too bad that is not the case anymore. Guess cancer does that to everyone. Shows up and surprises a few.

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fountainhead
        Participant

Nearly everyone has abandoned the board in recent months. The combination of the MRF's restrictions that resulted in the elimination of the DS and the sterlile changes on this side has effectively killed this board. People tried for awhile but it became obvious that there was little reason to come back. Witness how long it took anyone to respond to your post.

vickie
            Participant

Ahh the good old days, I miss it too. I think people bond more when they can talk about anything else besides cancer. even arguing was better than this.

On that note, what the F is up with DC politicians and this debt ceiling crapola? Oh and the tea party's Bachman? Why is it republicans like their women candidates to be attractive but so stupid?

vickie
              Participant

Ahh the good old days, I miss it too. I think people bond more when they can talk about anything else besides cancer. even arguing was better than this.

On that note, what the F is up with DC politicians and this debt ceiling crapola? Oh and the tea party's Bachman? Why is it republicans like their women candidates to be attractive but so stupid?

Fountainhead
              Participant

Nearly everyone has abandoned the board in recent months. The combination of the MRF's restrictions that resulted in the elimination of the DS and the sterlile changes on this side has effectively killed this board. People tried for awhile but it became obvious that there was little reason to come back. Witness how long it took anyone to respond to your post.

Fountainhead
                Participant

Fountainhead
                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

I personally don't miss the darkside, only went there twice.  The mainb problem with it was that it was tied to the Melanoma worled and that made  it a negative item for fund raising.  Someone ssid they were gooing to start their own DS, but I never saw  it.  Wouldn't have spent  much time  on it anyway. 

I do miss Allen's jokes and the political debates, etc from here though.

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

I personally don't miss the darkside, only went there twice.  The mainb problem with it was that it was tied to the Melanoma worled and that made  it a negative item for fund raising.  Someone ssid they were gooing to start their own DS, but I never saw  it.  Wouldn't have spent  much time  on it anyway. 

I do miss Allen's jokes and the political debates, etc from here though.

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

i do hope that Bonnie will entertain us with her tales  of her vacation again this year!

BonnieLea
                            Participant

I'm BACK  what a entertaining time camping.  Oh you guys will be sooooo darn proud of me.  This year the provincial parks put out notices in their papers, that we really SHOULD you know, leave the berries for the bears.  Do not feed chipmunks, went on to explain what we all know,  and YES that did in fact deter me.  IN FACT I went to a grocery store in Parry sound and bought CULTIVATED ones.  big huge not nearlty as tasty as wild ones, but I did my nice duty for the bears etal.

We had a visit from a bear about 3 years old.  Broad daylight, sauntered through our campsite, I ran to tent to take a picture, an GOT ONE!  my very first up close and personal shot of a black bear.  (oh all right, it was a teenager, but our own human teens sometimes do cause us havoc!)  A strange quiet and lackk of smaller mammals we all noticed but also a pack cyotes have moved into the northern, (southern too) and we figure that is where all the bunnies, muncks, squirrels, minks, martins, have gone.  usually I have to flap around the camp site to keep chipmunks off my lap.  I was woken up by a overly armourous ruffed grouse beating his wings, to attract a lady of the morning.  and the stars……black velvet sky and stars.  Miss seeing that with the light pollution over the earth.

Then….one day suddenly out the sky there appears a couple of HUGE BRIGHT ORANGE loud helicopters, and planes zooming around.  Holy Cow a forest fire across the lake of course us peons all gathered on the beach and rocks to watch.  scary it is, but I marvelled at how the huge water bombers can effectively smuck that fire out.  Twas the talk of the town. HMMMM  I had 10  (countem) ten (Including dear hubby and me)  for birfday dinner.

Dear son bought himself a deep fryer thingy.  Insisted we have deep fried turkey.  Not as popular up here as in your south.  But fry it he did.  Salad my dotter and her  fiance, his brother and his fiance, dotters dearest friend and her fiance, sonny boy and his lovely new lady.  10 folks shared my day.

Sonny also cooked 10 pounds of chicken wings, and my future son in law made the hot sauce.  (ooooh you healthy types will cringe)  one pound of BUTTER, mixed with Louisianna Hot sauce and a touch of  vinegar.  that was day before my birthday again for 10 people.

I was touched that the extended family my daughter will be going into have taken us all under their ample wings.  up to now has been basically just the 4 of us.    I will have these memories to hold me for a bit.  Have some rather nasty business to attend to (not melanoma related)   But this 61st b day for moi will be held so deep in my heart. 

Imagine finally after all these hundreds of years camping there, I actually saw a bear, not just heard one, or saw its foot prints, or felt the loss of my steak when he hurled our cooler one year.  when I get pictures downloaded to computer, I will be asking one of you to post them for me.  since I will NEVER EVER know how, I know this.

Jerry I hope you are doing swell.  Remember lay off those wobbly pops when you mount a horse.   (SMILE)cheeky

lhaley
                              Participant

Sounds like you had a great birthday/vacation!  Have to admit after seeing a bear I would be in the closest hotel!  Having your family around had to make it extra special. 

It is soooo hot here that I can't imagine anyone camping or even wanting to be outside!

Linda

lhaley
                                Participant

Sounds like you had a great birthday/vacation!  Have to admit after seeing a bear I would be in the closest hotel!  Having your family around had to make it extra special. 

It is soooo hot here that I can't imagine anyone camping or even wanting to be outside!

Linda

BonnieLea
                                  Participant

I'm BACK  what a entertaining time camping.  Oh you guys will be sooooo darn proud of me.  This year the provincial parks put out notices in their papers, that we really SHOULD you know, leave the berries for the bears.  Do not feed chipmunks, went on to explain what we all know,  and YES that did in fact deter me.  IN FACT I went to a grocery store in Parry sound and bought CULTIVATED ones.  big huge not nearlty as tasty as wild ones, but I did my nice duty for the bears etal.

We had a visit from a bear about 3 years old.  Broad daylight, sauntered through our campsite, I ran to tent to take a picture, an GOT ONE!  my very first up close and personal shot of a black bear.  (oh all right, it was a teenager, but our own human teens sometimes do cause us havoc!)  A strange quiet and lackk of smaller mammals we all noticed but also a pack cyotes have moved into the northern, (southern too) and we figure that is where all the bunnies, muncks, squirrels, minks, martins, have gone.  usually I have to flap around the camp site to keep chipmunks off my lap.  I was woken up by a overly armourous ruffed grouse beating his wings, to attract a lady of the morning.  and the stars……black velvet sky and stars.  Miss seeing that with the light pollution over the earth.

Then….one day suddenly out the sky there appears a couple of HUGE BRIGHT ORANGE loud helicopters, and planes zooming around.  Holy Cow a forest fire across the lake of course us peons all gathered on the beach and rocks to watch.  scary it is, but I marvelled at how the huge water bombers can effectively smuck that fire out.  Twas the talk of the town. HMMMM  I had 10  (countem) ten (Including dear hubby and me)  for birfday dinner.

Dear son bought himself a deep fryer thingy.  Insisted we have deep fried turkey.  Not as popular up here as in your south.  But fry it he did.  Salad my dotter and her  fiance, his brother and his fiance, dotters dearest friend and her fiance, sonny boy and his lovely new lady.  10 folks shared my day.

Sonny also cooked 10 pounds of chicken wings, and my future son in law made the hot sauce.  (ooooh you healthy types will cringe)  one pound of BUTTER, mixed with Louisianna Hot sauce and a touch of  vinegar.  that was day before my birthday again for 10 people.

I was touched that the extended family my daughter will be going into have taken us all under their ample wings.  up to now has been basically just the 4 of us.    I will have these memories to hold me for a bit.  Have some rather nasty business to attend to (not melanoma related)   But this 61st b day for moi will be held so deep in my heart. 

Imagine finally after all these hundreds of years camping there, I actually saw a bear, not just heard one, or saw its foot prints, or felt the loss of my steak when he hurled our cooler one year.  when I get pictures downloaded to computer, I will be asking one of you to post them for me.  since I will NEVER EVER know how, I know this.

Jerry I hope you are doing swell.  Remember lay off those wobbly pops when you mount a horse.   (SMILE)cheeky

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

i do hope that Bonnie will entertain us with her tales  of her vacation again this year!

nicoli
                                    Participant

I've been on the melonoma board for about 1.5 years, off and on depending on NED status.

During that time I have also checked this "off topic board" several time but it seems to contain so much negativity. Everyone seems to be complaining that things are NOT like "in the good ol days". I don't know what this board used to be like but things change.

How bout if everyone just started over and forgot about the "good ol days"on this board. It could still be a vital area to discuss non-cancer issues. If the issues are interesting, people will come. Otherwise, not.

Nicki

nicoli
                                      Participant

I've been on the melonoma board for about 1.5 years, off and on depending on NED status.

During that time I have also checked this "off topic board" several time but it seems to contain so much negativity. Everyone seems to be complaining that things are NOT like "in the good ol days". I don't know what this board used to be like but things change.

How bout if everyone just started over and forgot about the "good ol days"on this board. It could still be a vital area to discuss non-cancer issues. If the issues are interesting, people will come. Otherwise, not.

Nicki

BonnieLea
                                        Participant

HELLOOOOOO    John, Jag, anyothers.   My camping tales are under the  melanoma off topic orig written by another member. 

BonnieLea
                                          Participant

HELLOOOOOO    John, Jag, anyothers.   My camping tales are under the  melanoma off topic orig written by another member. 

BonnieLea
                                            Participant

Ok seems you guys nmissed it.  here it is.

Love Bonnie

Jerry I hope you are doing swell.  Remember lay off those wobbly pops when you mount a horse.   (SMILE)

Hang in There

JerryfromFauq
                                                Participant

Did the signs say anything abot growling at bears when they are climbing the steps to ones porch?  I did post pictures of that bear!

BonnieLea
                                                  Participant

no signs on steps.  yes I member your picture.  this was boo boo bear and seeing up close and personal, I lost fear of bears.  They were there before we were.  I was however proud I did not steal boo berries or raspberries or last of the wild strawberries.  NOPE left them all. Through backk fishys that I caught.  (we have what is called conservation fishing licenses)

I have seen bears in the distance, heard them at nights, but never saw one this close (awesome sight)

BonnieLea
                                                    Participant

no signs on steps.  yes I member your picture.  this was boo boo bear and seeing up close and personal, I lost fear of bears.  They were there before we were.  I was however proud I did not steal boo berries or raspberries or last of the wild strawberries.  NOPE left them all. Through backk fishys that I caught.  (we have what is called conservation fishing licenses)

I have seen bears in the distance, heard them at nights, but never saw one this close (awesome sight)

JerryfromFauq
                                                      Participant

Did the signs say anything abot growling at bears when they are climbing the steps to ones porch?  I did post pictures of that bear!

JerryfromFauq
                                                        Participant

I'm even doing good afer my last boob operation.  Now I''ve had both of mine operated on.  (Just v49 years apart!).

BonnieLea
                                                          Participant

Jerry…how can I tell you!  your boob operation was not as neat as both of mine.  first to make em smaller…… TMI?  then to take them totally away.  Including any parts that are on boobs.  now I sport two (no make that 2 on each boobless spot scars) and underarm ones to match. 

Not scarface bonnie, but scarchestless bonnie  I must admit you got me on the recent deal involving a horse.  I am so thankyou you made it.

BonnieLea
                                                            Participant

Jerry…how can I tell you!  your boob operation was not as neat as both of mine.  first to make em smaller…… TMI?  then to take them totally away.  Including any parts that are on boobs.  now I sport two (no make that 2 on each boobless spot scars) and underarm ones to match. 

Not scarface bonnie, but scarchestless bonnie  I must admit you got me on the recent deal involving a horse.  I am so thankyou you made it.

JerryfromFauq
                                                              Participant

I'm even doing good afer my last boob operation.  Now I''ve had both of mine operated on.  (Just v49 years apart!).

BonnieLea
                                                              Participant

Ok seems you guys nmissed it.  here it is.

Love Bonnie

Jerry I hope you are doing swell.  Remember lay off those wobbly pops when you mount a horse.   (SMILE)

Hang in There

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics