The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Off Taf/Mek, now onto Opdivo

Forums General Melanoma Community Off Taf/Mek, now onto Opdivo

Participant
      Hello,
      I have been on dabrafenib and trametinib for 5 months now and have been taken off due to side effects. My liver enzymes are way too high that I have been off the drug more than I have taken it over the last 5 months. Dose has been lowest possible and my liver was still quite unhappy. My oncologist is now going to try me on Opdivo. Has this happened to anyone else? I have read a lot on here about Opdivo and am quite worried about some of the side effects such as thyroid problems, diabetes and colitis. Right now I am 3A and am taking these meds to help prevent a recurrence. Wondering if watch and wait might be an option. Just weighing my options. Suggestions, thoughts?
      Thanks,
      Shannon
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        KellyH
        Participant

Hi Shannon!!! 

My son was 3b when diagnosed last year in February…he is 3 treatments away from completing his year of adjuvant therapy of Opdivo.  

My son has had very little in the way of side effects from the Opdivo. He had stomach cramps intermittently, which he said he hasn’t had any in the last 8 weeks or so. But the cramps were nothing that kept him from doing his normal activity. 

He does say he is more tired for a few days after infusion day ..but he is also 18 years old so some of it is teenage tired, maybe not necessarily treatment tired. 

I hope this helps!!! Good luck!!! 

Kelly 🙂 

Edwin
          Participant

Opdivo seems to have harmed my thyroid.  I take a 25mcg Levothyroxin pill every morning.  I have fatigue and a headache for about 2 days after Opdivo immunotherapy.  My headache comes and goes, but is worse after an Opdivo infusion.  I ignore it and take no pain medication.  I received an infusion of 480 mg of Opdivo Wednesday morning.   I rested Wednesday and Thursday due to fatigue and a headache.   I feel better today and bicycled 29 miles. 

You could start Opdivo immunotherapy and stop if you have unacceptable side effects.  I have stage 4 melanoma.  So, watch and wait was not an option for me.

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics