The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NYU Cancer Institute status?

Forums General Melanoma Community NYU Cancer Institute status?

Participant

Has anyone heard how Dr. Pavlick or anyone on her staff got through Sandy?  Hoping they and their families are all ok.

Also, does anyone know what is going on in lower Manhattan? Is there a status of when the Cancer Institute will reopen?

Hard to believe the havoc Sandy brought to the area.

Dick

Has anyone heard how Dr. Pavlick or anyone on her staff got through Sandy?  Hoping they and their families are all ok.

Also, does anyone know what is going on in lower Manhattan? Is there a status of when the Cancer Institute will reopen?

Hard to believe the havoc Sandy brought to the area.

Dick

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        NYKaren
        Participant
          Hi Dick,
          From what I understand, lower Manhattan is pretty much a mess.
          Best,
          karen
            Richard_K
            Participant

Yea that's what it looks like to me also.  ConEd shows some 21k customers at the corner accross the street.  The Langone Medical Center was evacuated and I saw earlier today Bellevue was evacuating.  No telephone, no email, just hope people are ok.

Good news, some subway and train service back tomorrow and East River bridges are all open.

I hope you and yoour family got through ok.

Dick

Richard_K
              Participant

Yea that's what it looks like to me also.  ConEd shows some 21k customers at the corner accross the street.  The Langone Medical Center was evacuated and I saw earlier today Bellevue was evacuating.  No telephone, no email, just hope people are ok.

Good news, some subway and train service back tomorrow and East River bridges are all open.

Dick

Richard_K
                Participant

Dick

NYKaren
                Participant
                  Hi Dick,
                  Best,
                  karen
                  NYKaren
                  Participant
                    Hi Dick,
                    Best,
                    karen
                    aldakota22
                    Participant

Hi Dick,Sandy devestated NY as you see on the news.By me in Putnam County no power since Monday 5 PM.No idea when it will be back ,Just about 100% of my town Putnam Valley is powerless.Now tell us how are you doing?Prayers sent your way that everthing is good.Beat the Beast.  AL

aldakota22
                      Participant

Hi Dick,Sandy devestated NY as you see on the news.By me in Putnam County no power since Monday 5 PM.No idea when it will be back ,Just about 100% of my town Putnam Valley is powerless.Now tell us how are you doing?Prayers sent your way that everthing is good.Beat the Beast.  AL

Richard_K
                          Participant

Hi Al

Hope you have your power back by now; I was very fortunate this time and was out for less than a day.

Dick

Richard_K
                            Participant

Hi Al

Hope you have your power back by now; I was very fortunate this time and was out for less than a day.

Dick

Richard_K
                              Participant

Hi Al

Dick

aldakota22
                              Participant

wolkies
                                Participant
                                  Hey Dick

I had an appt scheduled today with Dr. Pavlick (rescheduled from this past tues). There was no way I could get into NYC from Babylon so I tried calling without success.

I got a robocall from NYU cancer center today saying that they have had telephone outage and they would be closed for the week. NYU was hit especially hard with the storm.

I’m thinking that they should be back next week.

Sharon

wolkies
                                  Participant
                                    Hey Dick

I had an appt scheduled today with Dr. Pavlick (rescheduled from this past tues). There was no way I could get into NYC from Babylon so I tried calling without success.

I got a robocall from NYU cancer center today saying that they have had telephone outage and they would be closed for the week. NYU was hit especially hard with the storm.

Sharon

Richard_K
                                      Participant

Sharon

It looks like NYU email is back up. I have been sending emails since the beginning only to get them bounced back because their servers were down. I just got an out of office reply from one of Dr. Pavlick's nurses (she was on vacation at time of storm start).

Dick

Richard_K
                                        Participant

Sharon

It looks like NYU email is back up. I have been sending emails since the beginning only to get them bounced back because their servers were down. I just got an out of office reply from one of Dr. Pavlick's nurses (she was on vacation at time of storm start).

Dick

Richard_K
                                          Participant

Sharon

Dick

wolkies
                                          Participant
                                            Hey Dick

Sharon

fdess056
                                            Participant

Hi, Dick.  Manhattan still has no power, subway or bus service south of 32nd St.  Most phone service is out also Traffic is a nightmare as tunnels are still filled with water.  NYU, Coney Island and Bellevue hospitals all have been evacuated successfully.  I live only a few miles from Coney island.  Not sure when NYU will be back but I would think early next week at best.    Hope all is well. Keep up the fight.  You are an inspiration

Frank D  Brooklyn

fdess056
                                              Participant

Hi, Dick.  Manhattan still has no power, subway or bus service south of 32nd St.  Most phone service is out also Traffic is a nightmare as tunnels are still filled with water.  NYU, Coney Island and Bellevue hospitals all have been evacuated successfully.  I live only a few miles from Coney island.  Not sure when NYU will be back but I would think early next week at best.    Hope all is well. Keep up the fight.  You are an inspiration

Frank D  Brooklyn

Richard_K
                                                  Participant

Frank

Thanks for the information.  I am embarrassed to be so concerned about being able to reschedule my appointment so I can hopefully restart Zelboraf in the wake of the misery you and your neighbors must be facing.  Hope you and your family are personally ok.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                    Participant

Frank

Thanks for the information.  I am embarrassed to be so concerned about being able to reschedule my appointment so I can hopefully restart Zelboraf in the wake of the misery you and your neighbors must be facing.  Hope you and your family are personally ok.

Dick

fdess056
                                                      Participant

Hi, Dick  I'm writing this on Sunday afternoon.  Power is back on in Manhattan and almost all subways are running.  Driving is still problematic…gas lines are several hours long and you can't get into Manhattan without at least 3 people in your vehicle.  Everyone I know has made out OK except for some power outages that are presently resolved but many others are still suffering.  .  Its ironic that you're trying to get into Manhattan for treatment and I'm trying to get out.  I have a brain scan scheduled to tomorrow (Monday) at North Shore LIJ in Nassau County on Long island.  When you're able to get into New York maybe we could get together for a cup of coffee to compare war stories?  My personal email is at the bottom.  Best of luck

FrankD Brooklyn

[email protected]

fdess056
                                                        Participant

Hi, Dick  I'm writing this on Sunday afternoon.  Power is back on in Manhattan and almost all subways are running.  Driving is still problematic…gas lines are several hours long and you can't get into Manhattan without at least 3 people in your vehicle.  Everyone I know has made out OK except for some power outages that are presently resolved but many others are still suffering.  .  Its ironic that you're trying to get into Manhattan for treatment and I'm trying to get out.  I have a brain scan scheduled to tomorrow (Monday) at North Shore LIJ in Nassau County on Long island.  When you're able to get into New York maybe we could get together for a cup of coffee to compare war stories?  My personal email is at the bottom.  Best of luck

FrankD Brooklyn

[email protected]

Richard_K
                                                          Participant

Frank

Thanks for the information and I hope you made it for your scan.  It's bad enough waiting for scans but to have it delayed for something beyond your control……

I got an email from my doctor and yesterday had a telephone call from one of the research nurses and as a result I had blood taken locally in Connecticut today.  Hopefully my bilirubin will be back in line and I will be able to restart Zelboraf.  Not sure if I will travel to NYU to get it or if it will be sent to me.

Take care, good luck with the scan, and good luck getting gas.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                            Participant

Frank

Thanks for the information and I hope you made it for your scan.  It's bad enough waiting for scans but to have it delayed for something beyond your control……

I got an email from my doctor and yesterday had a telephone call from one of the research nurses and as a result I had blood taken locally in Connecticut today.  Hopefully my bilirubin will be back in line and I will be able to restart Zelboraf.  Not sure if I will travel to NYU to get it or if it will be sent to me.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                              Participant

Frank

Dick

fdess056
                                                                Participant

FrankD Brooklyn

[email protected]

Richard_K
                                                                  Participant

Frank

Dick

fdess056
                                                                  Participant

Frank D  Brooklyn

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics