The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nutrition

Forums General Melanoma Community Nutrition

Participant

Hi

can anyone recommend nutritional support information? I’m just starting my battle for Stage 3B and am committed to giving my body it’s best chance. 

thank you!

lucy

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        Summer S.
        Participant

Hello Lucy 

Finding a good nutritionist to follow up with can be very helpful. 

As a start, you can avoid all non-natural foods including refined sugar, artificial colors, soda, processed meat etc. 

Try to depend on natural food including organic fruits, veggies, grass-fed poutlery, etc 

There are supplements that can be useful to you, but you will need to check with both your nutritionist and oncologist to determine your personal needs that donot interfer with your treatment. 

Excercising, as much as you can, even a walk around the block is extremely beneficial. 

Stay Strong 🙂 

S. 

Dympsd
            Participant

Listen to Celeste but if may add to absolutely ask your oncologist about supplements. I of course raced out to get the curcumin and was told absolutely no capsule but a sprinkle on food would be ok as it’s hard on the liver. My husband was also told not even to take Tylenol at this point in targeted therapy as his liver enzymes are so elevated and they have stopped his therapy. Wish you the best of health and recovery.

Bubbles
            Participant

No particular "diet" has scientific evidence that proves it can prevent, ameliorate or cure melanoma.  That said, there's lots of data to demonstrate that a reasonable diet high in fruits and veg, low is fats and junk, as well as other good health habits from reasonable exercise to good dental hygiene benefit us all!  As far as melanoma and immunotherapy in particular I have followed, researched and reported the data for years.  Here is what I have gleaned:

Vitamin D matters, so you might consider a daily supplement, but you should talk to your doc about it:

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=vitamin+d&max-results=20&by-date=true  

The intestinal biome may make a difference in the response to immunotherapy…though it is not absolutely proven.  And the things that we can do to improve our intestinal biome relate to adding "good cultures" to our diet through foods like kimchi, yogurt, sauerkraut, kefir, etc.  Here's the data:  https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=cooties&max-results=20&by-date=true  

There are plenty of other claims out there.  I've covered most of them….from sea urchin goo to beans to coffee to other drugs typically used for other things.  Coffee, red wine, curcumin (easily added to your diet through curry and yellow mustard), and NSAID's have been proven, at least in some studies, to have an effect beyond a mouse or a petri dish…as does exercise.

There are many reports on coffee and caffeine.  They are included in "everything" below.  Though most are looking at the intake patients had before they find themselves with melanoma.

NSAID's.  These are drugs like aspirin, advil and tylenol.  You will find reports that say adding them to immunotherapy ABSOLUTELY improve response and others that say…"Hold up!  Not so much!"  But, here you go:  https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=NSAIDS    

While lots of reports on curcumin are interspersed in "everything" (see below) here's some info on curcumin alone:  https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/01/better-in-2013jump-up-jump-aroundand.html

Exercise:  https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/01/better-in-2013jump-up-jump-aroundand.html

Everything:   https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=everything+cures&max-results=20&by-date=true  

Bottom line.  Do your best.  Try to utilize good health practices.  Talk to your doctor about any particulars…esp meds or alternate therapies you decide to incoorporate into your treatment because:  

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/05/combining-alternative-and-conventional.html  

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2018/04/alkaline-diets-and-complementary.html  

Hope this helps. Probably more than you ever wanted to know.  I wish you my best.  Celeste

desmelwife
                Participant

Thank you so much for posting all the links Celeste! I found it all very informative!

It’s funny but when my husband was first diagnosed he completely changed his diet….we juiced for him, he ate more greens, veggies and fruits, cut out his unhealthy eating out habits and started focusing more on his gut health. 

However once starting Nivo his appetite decreased and he became more concerned about losing too much weight. So he went back to his usual unhealthy diet. I try hard to get him to eat better but he is just consumed with eating whatever sounds good and packs the most calories. 

At least I can try to make healthy dinners at home (which is usually a challenge with my kids crazy schedules)! If anyone has some healthy instant pot or quick meal ideas I’d love to hear them!

Sending love + Peace to all,

Tania

sing123
                  Participant

Hi Celeste, I am looking for your post specifically on curcumin but can't seem to find it based on the link you provided. 

Bubbles
                    Participant

Hey Cindy.  Looks like I accidentally put up the exercise report twice.  You can always use the search bubble on the top left of my blog for whatever you are interested in….but here you go:  

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/for-melanomaeat-that-curryagain-we-just.html 

Additional articles regarding curcumin are included throughout the "everything" link.  Hope that helps.  C

sing123
                      Participant

Thank you!!!

ed williams
                      Participant

Hi Lucy, funny that you bring up the topic of diet. MD Anderson has been doing some research (early days) on microbiome and correlation with Pd-1 drug respondes. Here is an article published this week that gets into the topic and one thing that I found interesting since everyone has been running out and getting on the probiotic bandwagon and the research is showing that probiotic use is harming responses. I am going to stick to peanut butter (kraft smoothie) and bagles for now!!! https://www.onclive.com/conference-coverage/aacr-2019/diet-may-impact-response-to-immunotherapy-in-patients-with-melanoma

RichInLife2
                        Participant

When I mentioned pro-biotics to my Oncologist, he suggested that the latest studies suggest that pro-biotics might do more harm than good. While a healthy gut biome plays an important role, diversity is most important. It seems that you don’t want to overwhelm your gut biome with a billion or so of just a few strains. One thing you can do to help out your intestinal biome is fiber. Latest research that a high fiber diet is associated with better outcomes, perhaps because the fiber promotes healthy and diverse gut flora. 

I try to get as much as I can from food sources and do eat yogurt, sauerkraut and kimchi regularly. I also take a multi-vitamin and a curcumin supplement, only because I found it hard to add enough turmeric to the food I eat. 

I highly recommend the book Anti-Cancer by David Servan-Schreiber. 

Good luck!

sing123
                          Participant

Hi Lucy! I also love the Anti-Cancer book and the nutrition information contained in it led me to the Dr. Weil Anti-inflammatory food pyramid. I am not a fervent follower of it, but it is a good reminder for me of what I need more from in my weekly diet. And I am happy to see dark chocolate on the pyramid!

Best to you!

Viewing 4 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics