The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Numb Chin

Forums General Melanoma Community Numb Chin

Participant
      Hi all-
      This past week out of the blue the right side of my chin and bottom lip keep going numb on and off. It is the strangest thing. I am concerned as my melanoma was on the right side of my face. I have looked it up and all I can find is Numb Chin Syndrome. Basically days is a sign that cancer has spread. Have any of you experienced this or know about this?
      Thanks!
      Stephanie
    Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

Don't want to freak you out, but shortly after I was diagnosed Stage IV, the right side of my lip and chin went numb.  It turned out to be a met in my jaw–diagnosed by neck MRI or CT.  The met has since resolved, but I have numbness to this day.  Presumably nerve damage.  In your case, I would be vigilant and contact your onc.

Mat
          Participant

Don't want to freak you out, but shortly after I was diagnosed Stage IV, the right side of my lip and chin went numb.  It turned out to be a met in my jaw–diagnosed by neck MRI or CT.  The met has since resolved, but I have numbness to this day.  Presumably nerve damage.  In your case, I would be vigilant and contact your onc.

Mat
            Participant

StephyD83
                Participant
                  Oh no…Was your constant or intermittent? Mine is intermittent and it’s like a tingling pins and needles feeling.
                  Thanks!!
                  StephyD83
                  Participant
                    Oh no…Was your constant or intermittent? Mine is intermittent and it’s like a tingling pins and needles feeling.
                    Thanks!!
                    StephyD83
                    Participant
                      Thanks!!
                    JoshF
                    Participant

Steph-

Doesn't hurt to get it checked out; especially if it's lingering. Did you have an MRI a month or so ago? If so that may have not shown anything if area wasn't scanned. I have numbness in cheek but I've been cut pretty good there 3x so think that's just result of all surgery.

Josh

StephyD83
                        Participant
                          Yes I did have a MRI but I don’t think they scanned that area. I will call the Dr Monday since it’s not resolving.My forehead is pretty numb form the surgeries I have had as well but seems to be improving which is great. Thanks for the reply ๐Ÿ™‚
                          StephyD83
                          Participant
                            Yes I did have a MRI but I don’t think they scanned that area. I will call the Dr Monday since it’s not resolving.My forehead is pretty numb form the surgeries I have had as well but seems to be improving which is great. Thanks for the reply ๐Ÿ™‚
                            StephyD83
                            Participant
                            JoshF
                            Participant

Steph-

Doesn't hurt to get it checked out; especially if it's lingering. Did you have an MRI a month or so ago? If so that may have not shown anything if area wasn't scanned. I have numbness in cheek but I've been cut pretty good there 3x so think that's just result of all surgery.

Josh

JoshF
                              Participant

Steph-

Josh

Mat
                                Participant

Mine was definitely more constant than intermittant.  I also did not have anything surgically removed in that area.  The explanation that yours may relate to your surgery makes sense.  In any case, it sounds like you're going to speak with your onc.  Good luck.

Mat
                                  Participant

Mine was definitely more constant than intermittant.  I also did not have anything surgically removed in that area.  The explanation that yours may relate to your surgery makes sense.  In any case, it sounds like you're going to speak with your onc.  Good luck.

StephyD83
                                      Participant
                                        Thanks. No my forehead was where I had melanoma and surgery on the right side and my right side of my chin and bottom lip are what keeps going numb. I will keep you posted hopefully it turns out to be nothing.
                                        Thanks!
                                        StephyD83
                                        Participant
                                          Thanks. No my forehead was where I had melanoma and surgery on the right side and my right side of my chin and bottom lip are what keeps going numb. I will keep you posted hopefully it turns out to be nothing.
                                          Thanks!
                                          StephyD83
                                          Participant
                                            Thanks!
                                          Mat
                                          Participant

CHD
                                            Participant

I had vulvar melanoma surgery and have numbness and tingling in my hip bone and down my leg, etc.  Surgery 22 months ago, this numbness, pain, etc., just starting a few months ago.  Nothing showed up on CT so I wonder if still all surgery related.  Prior to this hip bone aching/numbness, I had the same thing in the surgery sites and in my thighs.  One of my docs said when the nerves are damaged in surgery all sorts of numbness/tingling can result radiating to different areas and someone told me it can take up to a year for it all to heal.  Hope that's true for you but do agree I would get it checked! 

CHD
                                              Participant

I had vulvar melanoma surgery and have numbness and tingling in my hip bone and down my leg, etc.  Surgery 22 months ago, this numbness, pain, etc., just starting a few months ago.  Nothing showed up on CT so I wonder if still all surgery related.  Prior to this hip bone aching/numbness, I had the same thing in the surgery sites and in my thighs.  One of my docs said when the nerves are damaged in surgery all sorts of numbness/tingling can result radiating to different areas and someone told me it can take up to a year for it all to heal.  Hope that's true for you but do agree I would get it checked! 

CHD
                                                Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics