The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NRAS mutation

Forums General Melanoma Community NRAS mutation

Participant

Can anyone clarify this for me?

If someone has the NRAS mutation, is that considered wild-type?

Thank you.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        kylez
        Participant

See this http://www.bio.miami.edu/dana/dox/wildtype.html

With an NRAS mutation, and no BRAF mutation (I understand they're usually exclusive), someone's biopsy would be both:

– BRAF wild type, and

– NRAS mutated

kylez
          Participant

With an NRAS mutation, and no BRAF mutation (I understand they're usually exclusive), someone's biopsy would be both:

– BRAF wild type, and

– NRAS mutated

mary1233
              Participant

What I am trying to understand is if I was told that I was a wild type does that mean that I do not have the NRAS mutation?

Thanks.

Janner
                Participant

Wild type means no mutation.  Wild type is "normal".

mary1233
                  Participant

I was told that wild type was no mutation that has yet been identified.

mary1233
                    Participant

mary1233
                      Participant

kylez
                        Participant

If someone was told tjey were NRAS wild type that means no NRAS mutation.

They can be both NRAS wild type and BRAF wild type — that means neither mutation is present.

kylez
                          Participant

They can be both NRAS wild type and BRAF wild type — that means neither mutation is present.

kylez
                            Participant

kylez
                              Participant

It was confusing to me at first. I hope I'm explaining it less confusingly now.

kylez
                                Participant

kylez
                                  Participant

Janner
                                    Participant

Janner
                                      Participant

mary1233
                                        Participant

What I am trying to understand is if I was told that I was a wild type does that mean that I do not have the NRAS mutation?

Thanks.

mary1233
                                          Participant

Thanks.

kylez
                                          Participant

– BRAF wild type, and

– NRAS mutated

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics