The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nowhere to go…

Forums General Melanoma Community Nowhere to go…

Participant

It's been over a month since I've posted…caring for Kristine has become all-encompassing for me. Kristine tolerated four ipi/nivo treatments, although not without complications. In fact, it seems as if it's been one complication after another and we're just trying to put out fires in order to keep her alive long enough to show a response.

She has deteriorated in many areas: her upper body has significant weakness now, in addition to her lower body…that has caused us to go to only using a hoyer lift to move her; she has also deteriorated neurologically…she's severely lethargic and is really confused.

She had an MRI/CT done on Tue 8/29 to see if there's been any response to the treatments. That evening, Dr. Freeman called saying that the radiologist found a dvt in her leg and a pulmonary embolism. We called 911 and went to our local hospital with the idea that she'd transfer to a hospital where Dr. Freeman could see her in the following days.

A filter was placed to catch the blood clots…thought we were done. Nope.

*She became almost comatose…unable to wake up, but does respond to pain. They have tried everything to get her to wake up: drain in her brain, taking her off fentanyl patch. She's breathing on her own, heart rate is ok.

*Her neutrophils are zero…they put her on Neupogen last Wed…not seeing any response.

The drs here believe her current state is due to the tumor burden in her brain and nothing can be done.

On top of all that, Dr. Freeman says her MRI shows a 20% reduction in tumor size…she's actually responding to treatment!

Dr. Freeman had been in daily contact with the drs here up until Saturday. I'm hoping she weighs in tomorrow on where we are. 

Not sure anyone can help, I'm just feeling we're at the end.

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Shannon B
        Participant

Prayers for Kristine and the family.

triciad
          Participant

I'm so sorry to hear about this.  You are all in my prayers!

Tricia

Nemesis
            Participant

I am so sorry, Cindy. Your strenght is amazing.

May I ask what was the initial Breslow depth? I read through your posts and saw that there was no node byopsy performed.

I'm so sorry.  I'm hopful that perhaps Kristine just needs more time to for her tumors to shrink and more time to heal.  I'm hopeful that you continue to be strong.  She is fighting.  I send good thoughts and my prayers.

Jennifer

Cindyco
              Participant

Prayers to you and Kristine.

lindanat
                Participant

I am so sorry that you are feeling so hopeless.  It is such a sad time for you.  But it does sound like Kristine is trying to fight fight fight. Dr Freeman is also my doc and I know you are in such great hands.  The resources at The Angeles Clinic are the best.  My thoughts are with you and I'm hoping so hard that Kristine will turn a corner.  You are doing everything you can.

Linda

WithinMySkin
                  Participant

I'm so terribly sorry to hear about your daughter, Cindy. I'm sure she has your fighting spirit, though, as her body is attacking the tumors! No parent should have to go through all that you've been through. You and Kristine are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lauren

sister of patient
                    Participant

Ah Cindy – I too am hoping that Kristine has turned a corner since you've posted and that her psyche has held her in deep cover so that she can heal. Still holding special thoughts in my heart for both of you and your family!!

Barb 

momsmole
                      Participant

So sad this is happening to your beautiful daughter.  

momsmole
                        Participant

So sad this is happening to your beautiful daughter.  

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics