The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NOT ENOUGH MATERIAL to test? Has anyone had this problem?

Forums General Melanoma Community NOT ENOUGH MATERIAL to test? Has anyone had this problem?

Participant

My SIL has been diagnosed with Stage IV – melanoma –  they did a bone (marrow?) biopsy last Thursday.  They FINALLY called her today and told her they didn't have enough of a sample to definitively say it was melanoma in her spine (this is where they saw the 'areas of concern')  They were willing to say it was malignant, but what does THAT mean?  I know that means cancer….  

My SIL has been diagnosed with Stage IV – melanoma –  they did a bone (marrow?) biopsy last Thursday.  They FINALLY called her today and told her they didn't have enough of a sample to definitively say it was melanoma in her spine (this is where they saw the 'areas of concern')  They were willing to say it was malignant, but what does THAT mean?  I know that means cancer….  

So now they want her to have ANOTHER bone biopsy.  Seriously????  My brother was told there would be a technician there at the time of the procedure to ensure they had what they needed.  Also, they don't seem to be in any hurry to schedule her, although until all these results come in, she can't start any type of trial or treatment.  I am SURE other people have encountered this, but am wondering how others have dealt with this?  It is at the low end frustrating…… I want to scream to these people!  She needs to start SOME type of treatment.  She last had radiation on the original site in June, and was supposed to start a trial in August, but found out about the spine and was told that she could not be part of the trial.  There are several other trials at Moffit, but she can't start them until the results are in.  Is there a HURRY UP button to push somewhere?  This is a matter of life and death (in my opinion)

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

I would think the best "hurry up button" would be he oncologist.  Be the squeaky wheel there and if he/she wants to get it done it will be done.

So sorry she's facing thing this.I hate it when they treat people like this. 

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
          Participant

I would think the best "hurry up button" would be he oncologist.  Be the squeaky wheel there and if he/she wants to get it done it will be done.

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
            Participant

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

Harry in Fair Oaks
              Participant

It can be hard to take enough "good" material from bone mets.  Did your SIL have a CT guided biopsy?  It should be done by a skilled intervention radiologist (an MD), not a tech.

I had such a biopsy (CT guided, performed by a MD radiologist) done last year on my clavicle.  It was basically a core sample of bone mixed with tumor, and it was not an optimal sample.  As it happened, I grew a nice fat soft tissue tumor in my cheek within a couple of weeks – it was much easier to biopsy.

I hope the next biopsy of your SIL yields a much better sample.  I know this is frustrating – she must keep at them to get it done.  The one thing I've learned from this journey is that the patient must always advocate for himself/herself.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                Participant

It can be hard to take enough "good" material from bone mets.  Did your SIL have a CT guided biopsy?  It should be done by a skilled intervention radiologist (an MD), not a tech.

I had such a biopsy (CT guided, performed by a MD radiologist) done last year on my clavicle.  It was basically a core sample of bone mixed with tumor, and it was not an optimal sample.  As it happened, I grew a nice fat soft tissue tumor in my cheek within a couple of weeks – it was much easier to biopsy.

I hope the next biopsy of your SIL yields a much better sample.  I know this is frustrating – she must keep at them to get it done.  The one thing I've learned from this journey is that the patient must always advocate for himself/herself.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics