The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nodular Malignant Melanoma – first surgery 9 24 2020

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Nodular Malignant Melanoma – first surgery 9 24 2020

Participant
      Glad to know that tomorrow is the day I will have this nodular melanoma removed from the crown of my head. Since it was diagnosed the 2nd week of September, it has continued to increase in size. Although my CT scan showed so far it is localized, my surgeon Dr. Vivan Wu plans to conduct a SLNB as well during the removal to check again. She believes I will need immunotherapy, but she advised one step at a time. So this week surgery to remove, and next week plastic surgery which will be a pinwheel approach. I’m sure I’ll look like Frankenstein, just in time for Halloween. My plastic surgeon Dr. Garcia-Rodriguez advised I may see a lift in my eyebrows and some slightening of my forehead wrinkles. I think I deserve that much given this cancer turd that I now have! She also said I should expect my head to feel like my hair has been pulled back in a hard too-tight ponytail. Tylenol for that I guess.

Also, received confirmation that a worrisome-looking spot on my scalp tested negative for cancer.. Very relieved about that since the one nodule I now have is quarter size in height and width and looks pretty scary. Bleeding nearly every day.

Docs say I can wait for a full body check over until after this next few weeks of surgery and post op work.

Peace and good outcomes to all. I’ll post more after this.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        BillB
        Participant
          Good Luck Bill, I had a nodular melanoma Breslow 7 mm, perineural and vascular invasion, ulcerated, mitotic rate 15. Not good since nodular melanomas are extremely aggressive. But, and there is always a but, when I advanced to stage 4 and began immunotherapy I responded immediately to Keytruda and have been NED for 3 years. Hope that helps a little. If you have any questions please contact me.
          Again Good Luck!
          Bill
            Treadlightly
            Participant
              Hey Bill,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a good plan, and a promising prognosis. Good to hear the other spot turned out to be nothing.

I had a major slice taken out of my thigh for my graft, and it left my remaining leg skin extremely tight. Every day the tension relieved a little bit and I think within a week or so I was essentially back to normal skin tension. The skin has an amazing ability to stretch under tension. However, in your case…getting a free brow lift is a nice bonus.

Hoping and praying for the best possible outcome for you,
              Mark (2A)

mrbill16323
              Participant
                Thank you. I appreciate all who share their stories. It means a lot and is encouraging!
              Bubbles
              Participant
                Will be sending you every good vibe tomorrow, Bill!!!! Glad you have been able to maintain your sense of humor. Not easy these days, especially given what you are dealing with!!! But every bit of grace and humor we can muster helps us get through it, doesn’t it??? Glad tomorrow you will be one step closer to putting all this behind you! Hang tough! C
                sandyd77
                Participant
                  Best wishes for a good outcome and healing!
                  SOLE
                  Participant
                    Hi BIll,

I had a very weird nodular melanoma myself. I am a french canadian caucasian and had an amelanotic ulcerated nodular melanoma under my right foot where the sun never shines, Breslow at least 2.85mm (all margins involved so it was deeper for sure, will never know how deep…) without apparently other bad factors. (Bad enough!) Thought to have so called «rare isolated cells» in one sentinel lymph node at first. I challenged that and switched my care to more expert followup. Two years in and 3 more pathology readings later, there wasnt any clear lymph node involvment despite my really bad initial tumour.

Be your own advocate. Your life depends on this. Question. Again. And again. Until sufficient experts confirm. After that, get your plan in place. You can do it. Hell, I sunk so deep, I thought I would not see my 52nd birthday. ANd guess what? It’s tomorrow. And I’m still here and NED. I never thought I would. Ever.

You will get there too.

Courage and loving thoughts.

M

MelMel
                      Participant
                        Congratulations and Happy Birthday!
                        Melanie
                        mrbill16323
                        Participant
                          Bravo! Thank you for sharing your story and great advice.
                        JudiAU
                        Participant
                          I had an absolutely terrible black eye and 12 inch wound from a new craniotomy. I thought it looked good enough by then to pass out candy at last Halloween. One kid eyed me really suspiciously— is that real? I said yes and he said no it isn’t!!!! And ran away. So really, this is the best time of the year!!!
                          MelMel
                          Participant
                            Best wishes and a speedy recovery along with all the bonuses. Good to get some additional benefits.
                            Mel
                            Gene_S
                            Participant
                              Hello Mr. Bill,

My husband had a 10.5 mm nodular melanoma on his head and when they did his surgery it was a 10.5 cm taken off and then they cinched the area down to about 4 cm. In closing the area up he had a skin graft taken from his thigh. He said the worst part was the skin graft area on the thigh but that his head felt like he had a stocking cap on that was small and felt to tight. He got the face lift from all of that skin being pulled together from the surgery. His SNB came back negative. At the time his was done they weren’t doing anything for stage III as this was in 2008. He later progressed to Stage IV and did a clinical trial with Ipi (Yervoy) 10 mg/kg and GMCSF and has been cancer free since July 2012. The best of luck to you.

Judy the loving wife of Gene

mrbill16323
                                Participant
                                  Thank you for sharing your story. I’m glad your husband is doing so well!
                                jbronicki
                                Participant
                                  Thinking of you today MrBill!
                                  First, I love your profile pic, that is awesome. Second, my husband had a 22 mm nodular melanoma removed. His was on his upper part of back/shoulder. We are 6 1/2 years out now from surgery, his was a very interesting case as well. His nodular melanoma also increased very quickly, it grew within a month or so (I didn’t even know it was there, my daughter saw it when they went swimming) and he woke up one night and said it felt like he was sleeping on a golfball. I remember the first time I saw it in the consultation at MD Anderson before surgery (I still wish I had thought to take a picture), I had to leave the room I was crying so hard, had to go sit in the restroom. And when I first saw the pathology report before the consultation, was a bit overwhelming. . But again, we are here still 6 1/2 years later after surgery. I know the head is such a sensitive area, so I’m wishing you the absolute best. My husband was lucky, he could put a tshirt over his scars, etc., not so easy with the head.

Wishing you a great surgery (and possible facelift 🙂 )and they get it all out and then more good news with the pathology/any scans after the surgery. You are in the limbo period which is very hard since have to wait until get more information after surgery. You will get the surgical pathology though which will give you even more info. And glad they are doing the SLNB, will give you even more important information. And you most likely will have the option of doing adjuvant therapy which is really awesome.

Hugs!

mrbill16323
                                    Participant
                                      Thank you. Hoping for continuing good outcomes for your husband.
                                Viewing 7 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics