The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

No side effects with Opdivo

Forums General Melanoma Community No side effects with Opdivo

Participant

Hi, My mom had two infusions of Opdivo so far and she has no side effects ( little dizzy on the second day only )  Does that mean opdivo is not working ?  Is there anyone out there who had opdivo worked without aby side effects ? My mom is 58 and was diagnosed with vaginal melanoma in Oct and was not a candidate for surgery as they would have to cut out alot. Her lymph node shrunk to half in january before starting any treatment and her blood work looks fantastic, I am telling this becuase i am wondering she doesnt has any side effects because she is very healthy or because Opdivo isn;t doing anything. Please share you expereince if you had resuklts with opdivo without any side effects

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Edwin
        Participant

Fatigue is the most common side effect of Opdivo.  Have you measured how much your mother can do the day after immunotherapy and how much she can do several days later?  If I receive an infusion of 480 mg of Opdivo on Wednesday, I can run for about 20 minutes on Thursday, 30 minutes on Friday, 40 minutes on Saturday and 50 minutes on Sunday.   I am 75 years old.  I did have severe side effects with Yervoy + Opdivo immunotherapy.   Yervoy + Opdivo immunotherapy followed by Opdivo immunotherapy helped me.

Summer S.
          Participant

Hey, 

am so happy your mom is healthy and her blood work is fantastic, this is a great start. I hope she continues to feel good and you get lucky with immunotherapy. 

Generally, side effects has nothing to do with actual response. Many people (super lucky) experience no side effects and positive repose at the same time. Some have side effects and yet donot respond at all, while others experience both side effects and positive responses. 

For opdivo, second dose is generally a very early point  to judge anything. Typically you should start see signs of how things are going by the end of 2nd month.

So take a deep breath, observe and report any changes to your HCP, and stay calm 🙂 

My love and prayings goes to you and your mom

jennunicorn
            Participant

When I was on Opdivo alone, I had very minimal side effects, if any. I worked full time, felt pretty much the same, minor fatigue and some joint pain (but that was there before Opdivo, not new and not caused by Opdivo). Everyone's bodies react differently to treatment, I felt blessed to be able to live my regular life during treatment and not deal with any major side effects. 

2 infusions is very early on though, so don't be surprised if side effects do pop up for her. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics