The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

No MRI?

Forums General Melanoma Community No MRI?

Participant
      I have a question about scans.

i was diagnosed 3B primary unknown in Feb 2019. I had combination therapy with Yervoy and pepinemab (investigational checkpoint inhibitor) before modified neck dissection surgery. I had complete pathological response, am being treated with Opdivo. I’ve had 2 clean PET/MRIs . I feel very blessed and am grateful.

my next scan is in February 2020. They are doing a CT without and with contrast but no MRI. They only explanation I receive was basically this is what they do. I am more concerned about the lack of MRI given my positive lymph nodes were in my neck.

What do do you think about no MRI after 2 clean scans?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant
          What areas did they tell you will be covered in the CT scan? Mine include chest, abdomen, and pelvis. But, I see no reason why they would not include the neck in yours. I would definitely ask about that.
          doragsda
          Participant
            It seems that the standard of care (perhaps driven by insurance restrictions) is they don’t routinely do a brain MRI unless CNS symptoms are present. My wife was stage 2c in December of 2016. They did a PET scan but no MRI. PET was clear. 6 months later she had two brain mets. I’ve always thought the larger brain met might have been detectable if a MRI had been done in December of 2016, but several doctors told me that MRI is not normally done in the absence of symptoms indicating brain involvement.
            Affected
            Participant
              Hi Lucy, Thank you for posting. My husband is in a very similar situation to yours. He was diagnosed with melanoma on June 19th of this year (2109). In late July, he had a tumor (also not thought to be primary) removed from his parotid gland (main salivary gland) together with 51 lymph nodes from his neck, 2 of which were involved. He underwent daily radiotherapy for 6 weeks, and is now on adjuvant immunotherapy (Opdivo) for a year. He hasn’t had any scans whatsoever since his surgery and will be having CT scans done on Jan. 8th. We were assuming they were to be done on his whole body, but now after reading some of this forum’s posts, I am not too sure. I am going to call the hospital to find out what is actually scheduled, but before doing so, I wanted to arm myself with some knowledge as to what he should ideally be getting. Some people seem to get MRI’s, others PET scans, and still others like yourself CT scans. I will be posting about this matter, so in case you want more information, I just wanted to let you know so you could keep tabs on any responses I myself get. I am very nervous about my husband’s scans on Jan. 8th, given that they will be the first since his surgery and I am praying fervently that they will be clear. Thank you for posting; examples of cases similar to my husband’s that are positive are giving me much needed hope at the moment that there really is a good chance his scans will be clear. Thank you very much. Sincerely, Affected
              lkb
              Participant
                Lucy, I had a scalp primary plus neck lymph node involvement (excision + two partial dissections) and a brain met (gamma knife, December 2018). Of my (roughly) 10 brain MRIs, only one interpreter has even mentioned my neck involvement. My oncologist says CT/PETCT is the scan of choice for the neck. Glad you are asking, and I hope you get all of the testing and support you need without a fight. In the meantime, hooray for the two clean PET/MRIs!
                Lisa
            Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics