The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

No contrast with CT scans

Forums General Melanoma Community No contrast with CT scans

Participant

Hi Everyone,

First and formost thank you all for the valuable information you share .

I am allergic to contrast. My doctor orders CT scans for me "without " contrast. I am worried that the radiologist does not get a "clear" picture if I have any tumors or swollen nodes.

Should I be worried or can radiologists still determine if there are tumors/swollen nodes "without" contrast on my scans. I appreciate any opinion you can give me.

Thanks

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

I thought from having heard several people waiting for scans there are several types of contrast they can use. The typical is iodine which I guess you are allergic to. Maybe others would know but I thought there are some others you can ask about. Also there is the drink which I do remember a lady having to get a different type than mine because of stomach issues it would cause. Typically if I have a ct they have me do both the drink and contrast.

They do both non contrast and contrast for me. They told me they can see things in the non contrast they may not see in the contrast and vice versa. Both gives them a more complete picture. However sometimes they only did the non contrast because the doc said that would be enough to show what he is looking for.

So I would ask about the other contrasts and they may have something you can take.

Artie

mary1233
            Participant

During my last CT scan, they had a problem with the Iv contrast and it missed my vein. Since I had already had an MRI with contrast that day, they decided it would be dangerout for my kidneys to have a third dose of contrast. The radiologist said that she thought that the CT without contrast would be sufficient because the only thing they would potentially miss would be if the cancer went to the liver.

I had another CT with and without contrast the next week – it seemed to be that if the cancer went to my liver it would be something I would want to have addressed.

Maybe you have to go to a higher level radiology center to get the care you need. Scans do not protect us from cancer, they just alert us sooner that something is going on, hopefully before it is too late to do anything about it.

Best of luck.

Mary

scalp MM 2014
              Participant

Good day to you,

I too have allergy to contrast dye (short of breath).  I have had several CT scans in past with contrast after I was premedicated with Prednisone and Benadryl. No allergic symptoms during scans. My Doctor called the Imaging Center to get their recommended premedication dosing.  I don't know if your allergy would be the same situation, just thought I would share my experiences.  Hoping all clear scans for you with or without the contrast.

scalp MM 2014
                Participant

Good day to you,

I too have allergy to contrast dye (short of breath).  I have had several CT scans in past with contrast after I was premedicated with Prednisone and Benadryl. No allergic symptoms during scans. My Doctor called the Imaging Center to get their recommended premedication dosing.  I don't know if your allergy would be the same situation, just thought I would share my experiences.  Hoping all clear scans for you with or without the contrast.

scalp MM 2014
                  Participant

Good day to you,

mary1233
                    Participant

During my last CT scan, they had a problem with the Iv contrast and it missed my vein. Since I had already had an MRI with contrast that day, they decided it would be dangerout for my kidneys to have a third dose of contrast. The radiologist said that she thought that the CT without contrast would be sufficient because the only thing they would potentially miss would be if the cancer went to the liver.

I had another CT with and without contrast the next week – it seemed to be that if the cancer went to my liver it would be something I would want to have addressed.

Maybe you have to go to a higher level radiology center to get the care you need. Scans do not protect us from cancer, they just alert us sooner that something is going on, hopefully before it is too late to do anything about it.

Best of luck.

Mary

mary1233
                      Participant

Best of luck.

Mary

arthurjedi007
                      Participant

I thought from having heard several people waiting for scans there are several types of contrast they can use. The typical is iodine which I guess you are allergic to. Maybe others would know but I thought there are some others you can ask about. Also there is the drink which I do remember a lady having to get a different type than mine because of stomach issues it would cause. Typically if I have a ct they have me do both the drink and contrast.

They do both non contrast and contrast for me. They told me they can see things in the non contrast they may not see in the contrast and vice versa. Both gives them a more complete picture. However sometimes they only did the non contrast because the doc said that would be enough to show what he is looking for.

So I would ask about the other contrasts and they may have something you can take.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

Artie

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics