The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nivo treament #10 and update

Forums General Melanoma Community Nivo treament #10 and update

Participant

I have not posted any updates in a while so here it is… I am official 10 treatments in (treatments every two weeks) So far the treatment side effects have been pretty mild. I have lost the thyroid which was no surprise since my doctor had warned me that is was a possibility. The fatigue has been overwhelming at times but I have been working full time and still full time momming to a 6 & 9 year old. So for those that have asked if it is possible to keep working and keep doing the thing you love to do the answer is a big YES!! Some days you may need that extra nap or bed at 7pm but you can do it!! I have now had my second set of scans since starting Nivo and last scans showed NO cancer!! I have really had to take a deep breath and process that….I guess because I know how tricky this cancer can be. But today I am going to enjoy every moment….the best lesson I have learned in this journey!! I still have 8 months of treatment ahead of me but so thankful for treatment options. I lost my grandfather to melanoma 24 years ago and I know how lucky we are now to have all these treatment options. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        iskitwo
        Participant

Sorry didn't mean to post anonymous!!

Missy

stevek1959x
            Participant

I also just completed #10 (two weeks).  My first scan revealed a "cloudiness" where i had 35 lymph nodes removed in my left axilla.  The SUV was 3.7 and they could not rule out cancer but also suggested that it could be from the surgery.  They will rescan in November and use the last scan as a base.  My thyroid is on the brink but the Free T4 has been adequate so no medication – yet.  I haven't experienced that much fatigue but I have had a continuous rash – lichenoid drug eruption on arms chest and back of neck.  I'm on a sterioid cream and we just started 10mg of predisone.  So far no difference in the rash.  This lichenoid rash  also caused the skin to lose its pigmentation much like vitiligo.  If you read my bio, you will notice that this crap came back after 12 years and my primary had a depth of .09.  I plan on staying with the 2 week program since this seems manageable.  Here is to a quick uneventful 8 months.

MelanomaMike
            Participant
              Hi Missy! aka Anonymouse haha..boy, if one of us wanted to tear someone a new anal opening, anonymous is here for us! Not that we would, were a respectful bunch!..
              Yep, good ol’ Thyroid gland, mine has either left my throat & moved to Minnesota or quit working cuz i take Livothyroxin for it..as you know, pro’s & con’s of Therapy, “Friendly Fire” as its called on the battlefield, good organs get fired on accidently, some just get injured, some get on a stretcher…you Rock Mamma Missy! Keep it up!.. 😉

Such great news!  Great job keeping up a full time work and mom schedule.  I'm also a full time working mom and melanoma patient.  It's tough but it's possible.  Very happy for you!

Good wishes to you,

Jennifer

marta010
              Participant

Hi Missy- in addition to checking your thyroid function, are your other hormone/adrenal levels being monitored?  My husband also had low cortisol and low testosterone (obviously not an issue for you) as a result of treatment. Strongly encourage consulting with an endocrinologist familiar with immunotherapy related side effects. Take care. 

Ann

iskitwo
                  Participant

I will have to check with onc and see what all they are checking for..Thanks!

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics