The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nivo Question/Update

Forums General Melanoma Community Nivo Question/Update

Participant

Hello everyone,

Just a question to anyone that is on this part of the treatment. My mom made it through her 4 infusions of Ipi/nivo, about a month ago now she started the maintenance period of just nivo. Ever since she started this, she has been extremely fatigued almost to the point where she can't function. She had some fatigue and sickness while on Ipi/nivo, but since the nivo it has been twice as much. All of her major bloodwork (such as thyroid and liver enzymes) have been coming back fine. She stopped her prednisone and is currently on lasix to help reduce the massive amount of swelling she has from prednisone (she gained well over 10 lbs at this point, was on it for over 2+ months).

I was just curious if anyone else had this same experience with the fatigue? And if they did, what did you do to help offset/control it? Any insight about this is helpful. Her oncologist said that this is normal regarding the Nivo, I just haven't really heard about it before so I am getting nervous. 

P.S. He also called for her first CT scan of her abdomen (where the tumor originally was) next week. I am assuming those results will be in ASAP since they want it before her next Nivo treatment (not really sure why)…Needless to say I have been sick to my stomach all day about this!! I will keep everyone updated…

Melissa

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Not sure about the fatigue if her blood work is coming back normal. Did she have a full body scan after finishing the 4 main Ipi/Nivo doses? Or is this CT of abdomen the only scan she's had since finishing the main doses?

Buddy0513
            Participant

The CT scan of the abdomen is the only scan she has had since completing the doses (actually the only scan since we started back in August when she was diagnosed). She told me the Dr mentioned wanting to compare it with the original PET scan that was completed in August, which indicated where the cancer was. Nothing was mentioned about a full body scan, not sure if that is down the road or not. 

jennunicorn
              Participant

I find that unusual. After finishing 4 main doses of the combo the patient gets a full body scan to see where they are at. Just like when I finished the 4 main doses of Ipi a year ago, I got a full body scan and a full body scan every 3 months thereafter.. that's how they found out it came back after my September scan. Just because the abdomen is where they saw a tumor before, doesn't mean they shouldn't see her whole body to make sure nothing is growing elsewhere. I am getting my PET/CT full body scan on Tuesday as I have finished the 4 main doses two weeks ago. I would ask her onc about a full body scan. I've never had a scan of just one area of my body (with the exception of brain MRI), it's always full body, I assume that's standard of care because that's how they catch things early if something new is going to come up. 

Hoping her scan brings good news and her fatigue gets a little better. There are some sites online that have some suggestions like exercise and other ways to help with fatigue.

jennunicorn
                Participant

I find that unusual. After finishing 4 main doses of the combo the patient gets a full body scan to see where they are at. Just like when I finished the 4 main doses of Ipi a year ago, I got a full body scan and a full body scan every 3 months thereafter.. that's how they found out it came back after my September scan. Just because the abdomen is where they saw a tumor before, doesn't mean they shouldn't see her whole body to make sure nothing is growing elsewhere. I am getting my PET/CT full body scan on Tuesday as I have finished the 4 main doses two weeks ago. I would ask her onc about a full body scan. I've never had a scan of just one area of my body (with the exception of brain MRI), it's always full body, I assume that's standard of care because that's how they catch things early if something new is going to come up. 

Hoping her scan brings good news and her fatigue gets a little better. There are some sites online that have some suggestions like exercise and other ways to help with fatigue.

Buddy0513
                  Participant
                    I thought it was a bit unusual too. My mom told me it was actually a CT scan for her chest, abdomen and pelvis. I misunderstood when she mentioned how it was near where the tumor was. She asked if a PET scan would be done, her Dr said no he wanted to see the CT scan that will be done next week and compare it to her PET scan that was done in August. In the notes it mentions restaging/compare.

I am just nervous about this entire thing! Seems so strange to me after reading about so many other people’s stories how they have many PET scans and full body scans etc…

I will mention exercise and such to her, but she tells me walking across the room is exhausting so maybe we will start small and move up to that.

Buddy0513
                    Participant
                      I thought it was a bit unusual too. My mom told me it was actually a CT scan for her chest, abdomen and pelvis. I misunderstood when she mentioned how it was near where the tumor was. She asked if a PET scan would be done, her Dr said no he wanted to see the CT scan that will be done next week and compare it to her PET scan that was done in August. In the notes it mentions restaging/compare.

I am just nervous about this entire thing! Seems so strange to me after reading about so many other people’s stories how they have many PET scans and full body scans etc…

I will mention exercise and such to her, but she tells me walking across the room is exhausting so maybe we will start small and move up to that.

jennunicorn
                      Participant

I can't understand comparing the two different scans… I would understand if he was going to compare to a CT she had in August with another CT… or a PET with a PET… but I don't see how a PET can be compared with a CT many months later? CT shows size growth, PET shows SUV uptake in number amounts which show as a "brightness" in the images. There are quite different scans. I would ask about that too.

jennunicorn
                        Participant

I can't understand comparing the two different scans… I would understand if he was going to compare to a CT she had in August with another CT… or a PET with a PET… but I don't see how a PET can be compared with a CT many months later? CT shows size growth, PET shows SUV uptake in number amounts which show as a "brightness" in the images. There are quite different scans. I would ask about that too.

jennunicorn
                          Participant

Buddy0513
                            Participant
                              It confuses me too. She even asked the nurses and Dr specifically about if she should get a PET scan to compare and the answer was no. I guess we will have to wait when they call back for her appointment to see if anything changes. I always thought a CT scan had to be compared with a CT scan…same thing for a PET scan. Maybe I’m wrong or he’s looking for something specific…just struck me as a bit odd. Thanks for the input. I’ll post again as we go along here, waiting is the worst part of all of this!
                              Buddy0513
                              Participant
                                It confuses me too. She even asked the nurses and Dr specifically about if she should get a PET scan to compare and the answer was no. I guess we will have to wait when they call back for her appointment to see if anything changes. I always thought a CT scan had to be compared with a CT scan…same thing for a PET scan. Maybe I’m wrong or he’s looking for something specific…just struck me as a bit odd. Thanks for the input. I’ll post again as we go along here, waiting is the worst part of all of this!
                                Buddy0513
                                Participant
                                  Buddy0513
                                  Participant

jennunicorn
                                    Participant

Buddy0513
                                      Participant

The CT scan of the abdomen is the only scan she has had since completing the doses (actually the only scan since we started back in August when she was diagnosed). She told me the Dr mentioned wanting to compare it with the original PET scan that was completed in August, which indicated where the cancer was. Nothing was mentioned about a full body scan, not sure if that is down the road or not. 

Buddy0513
                                        Participant

jennunicorn
                                        Participant

Not sure about the fatigue if her blood work is coming back normal. Did she have a full body scan after finishing the 4 main Ipi/Nivo doses? Or is this CT of abdomen the only scan she's had since finishing the main doses?

jennunicorn
                                          Participant

Bubbles
                                            Participant

I am sorry for what your mom is dealing with, however, fatigue is the number one side effect with immunotherapy…esp when ipi and nivo are combined.  It is also recognized that side effects are cumulative, meaning that while degree varies from person to person…they can certainly worsen over time.  Just so happens some melanoma Big Dogs pooled their data on side effects for nivo specifically recently and I posted this today:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/01/melanoma-big-dogs-pool-their-data-for.html

I hope her upcoming scans bring good news.  Celeste

Buddy0513
                                                Participant

Thank you for posting that information, she actually had 2 of those listed side effects (fatigue and rash) I had heard fatigue was a side effect, but to the extreme my mom has it concerned me (she has also had a horrible rash through this entire journey, almost ripping her skin off at points as well). I guess it makes sense being cumulative, since she started having it after the first infusion in September, to the maintenance phase now, that would explain why the fatigue has gotten so extreme. 

I hope her scans bring good news as well. Not sure how long she will be on the nivo part of the treatment based on the scans, but hopefully we can figure out a way to deal with the fatigue better. 

Buddy0513
                                                  Participant

Thank you for posting that information, she actually had 2 of those listed side effects (fatigue and rash) I had heard fatigue was a side effect, but to the extreme my mom has it concerned me (she has also had a horrible rash through this entire journey, almost ripping her skin off at points as well). I guess it makes sense being cumulative, since she started having it after the first infusion in September, to the maintenance phase now, that would explain why the fatigue has gotten so extreme. 

I hope her scans bring good news as well. Not sure how long she will be on the nivo part of the treatment based on the scans, but hopefully we can figure out a way to deal with the fatigue better. 

Buddy0513
                                                    Participant

Bubbles
                                                    Participant

I am sorry for what your mom is dealing with, however, fatigue is the number one side effect with immunotherapy…esp when ipi and nivo are combined.  It is also recognized that side effects are cumulative, meaning that while degree varies from person to person…they can certainly worsen over time.  Just so happens some melanoma Big Dogs pooled their data on side effects for nivo specifically recently and I posted this today:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/01/melanoma-big-dogs-pool-their-data-for.html

Bubbles
                                                      Participant

Mat
                                                        Participant

For blood work, are they specifically testing markers for adrenal and thyroid function?

Mat
                                                          Participant

For blood work, are they specifically testing markers for adrenal and thyroid function?

Buddy0513
                                                              Participant

I have to have her ask about adrenal. I know the thyroid came back fine. Each time shes goes theres a page or 2 of bloodwork is done and everything comes back fine (most recently her protein has been lower than normal, but they said that was related to the medicines)

Buddy0513
                                                                Participant

I have to have her ask about adrenal. I know the thyroid came back fine. Each time shes goes theres a page or 2 of bloodwork is done and everything comes back fine (most recently her protein has been lower than normal, but they said that was related to the medicines)

Buddy0513
                                                                  Participant

Mat
                                                                  Participant

debwray
                                                                    Participant

Hi,

In the UK my monitoring is ct chest, thorax abdomren pelvis every 3 months. My understanding is that they look in the most likely places for new stuff to crop up and do this too limit radiation to the brain from multiple ct scans unless indicated by symptoms. 

If I understand it right the pet scan is a combo of two scans taken at the same time in the same machine. They superimpose the image of where the glucose tracer is..where ypour body is using energy on go the ct scan..who shows the anatomical structures. Here the PET scan is used for staging. My guess is that once they have a reference ct scan it is easier to do a side by side compare to figure out changes .

Fatigue is common. Over whelming fatigue can be a sign of endocrine issues with the combo.Did it get much worse after the steroids stopped?  Any headaches? ..if you have hypophysitis then the treatment would be steroid replacement of your own cortisol..so there is a possibility that if this was the case then stopping the steroids would be like stopping the treatment and unmask it.

If suspected they do extra blood tests and MRI brain. Might be worth checking your onc heard the message..extreme fatigue.. .not functioning fatigue.. 

Best wishes 

Deb

debwray
                                                                      Participant

Hi,

In the UK my monitoring is ct chest, thorax abdomren pelvis every 3 months. My understanding is that they look in the most likely places for new stuff to crop up and do this too limit radiation to the brain from multiple ct scans unless indicated by symptoms. 

If I understand it right the pet scan is a combo of two scans taken at the same time in the same machine. They superimpose the image of where the glucose tracer is..where ypour body is using energy on go the ct scan..who shows the anatomical structures. Here the PET scan is used for staging. My guess is that once they have a reference ct scan it is easier to do a side by side compare to figure out changes .

Fatigue is common. Over whelming fatigue can be a sign of endocrine issues with the combo.Did it get much worse after the steroids stopped?  Any headaches? ..if you have hypophysitis then the treatment would be steroid replacement of your own cortisol..so there is a possibility that if this was the case then stopping the steroids would be like stopping the treatment and unmask it.

If suspected they do extra blood tests and MRI brain. Might be worth checking your onc heard the message..extreme fatigue.. .not functioning fatigue.. 

Best wishes 

Deb

debwray
                                                                        Participant

Hi,

Best wishes 

Deb

Buddy0513
                                                                            Participant

Interesting. I was trying to Google why it would be done this way, but it didn't make much sense, what you explained clarifies it a bit. 

She hasn't had any headaches. Recently she caught a bad headcold that the Dr. checked her out for, he didn't prescribe anything because she has been sneezing/coughing clear mucus, he said there isn't much he can do besides wait for it to pass at this point. Her fatigue has always been pretty bad, I actually think she was better without the steroids the few times she came off of them, but had to go back on again. I'm not sure if her body hasn't adjusted back yet since she was on it for so long and even had muscle loss with the steroid (her legs were weak, physical therapy exercises were included in her day to help keep the muscle built up).

She told him exactly that she has extreme fatigue, and he didn't seem very concerned other than its a side affect, and according to what Bubbles posted it is a cumulative one. We have seen the onc at least every week, sometimes twice a week when her rash and itching was so extreme for extra bloodwork, so I am not entirely sure what he sees that we might be missing. I guess its just nervewrecking to me having her so fatigued and sitting back thinking its a side effect. Her fatigue has gotten worse since she started nivo only so I don't know if that means anything.

Thanks for the great information! Hope things are going well for you. Keeping you (and everyone else on this forum that is fighting) in my thoughts everyday!

Buddy0513
                                                                              Participant

Interesting. I was trying to Google why it would be done this way, but it didn't make much sense, what you explained clarifies it a bit. 

She hasn't had any headaches. Recently she caught a bad headcold that the Dr. checked her out for, he didn't prescribe anything because she has been sneezing/coughing clear mucus, he said there isn't much he can do besides wait for it to pass at this point. Her fatigue has always been pretty bad, I actually think she was better without the steroids the few times she came off of them, but had to go back on again. I'm not sure if her body hasn't adjusted back yet since she was on it for so long and even had muscle loss with the steroid (her legs were weak, physical therapy exercises were included in her day to help keep the muscle built up).

She told him exactly that she has extreme fatigue, and he didn't seem very concerned other than its a side affect, and according to what Bubbles posted it is a cumulative one. We have seen the onc at least every week, sometimes twice a week when her rash and itching was so extreme for extra bloodwork, so I am not entirely sure what he sees that we might be missing. I guess its just nervewrecking to me having her so fatigued and sitting back thinking its a side effect. Her fatigue has gotten worse since she started nivo only so I don't know if that means anything.

Thanks for the great information! Hope things are going well for you. Keeping you (and everyone else on this forum that is fighting) in my thoughts everyday!

Buddy0513
                                                                                Participant

debwray
                                                                                  Participant

Think this is an expolanation of the type of scan I had for staging…explains it better than me…

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/tests/petct-scan

Good to hear onc got the message re the fatigue…suppose I'm hyper alert re endocrine side effects as that is a possibility for me…

Hope things sort themselves out soon or that fatigue is due to your Mums system winning the battle with the tumours…

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
                                                                                    Participant

Think this is an expolanation of the type of scan I had for staging…explains it better than me…

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/tests/petct-scan

Good to hear onc got the message re the fatigue…suppose I'm hyper alert re endocrine side effects as that is a possibility for me…

Hope things sort themselves out soon or that fatigue is due to your Mums system winning the battle with the tumours…

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
                                                                                      Participant

Best wishes

Deb

ed williams
                                                                                      Participant

Hi Melissa, in two weeks I will hit the three year point of trial of Ipi/nivolumab and due to the fact that it is double blinded I can't say with 100% certainty which of the drugs I have gotten. The side effects that you have stated are exactly the same as what I have dealt with. We did talk about using a drug that others on the forum had talked about for the fatigue,if my memory is correct it was a drug similar to Ritalin (which is used for kids with attention issues). I decided not to use it because of having previous cyberknife treatments and possible side effect of the new drugs could have increased risks of bleeding. As far as scans, I have a ct of chest ,abdomen and pelvis done every 3 months and because of brain mets I also have brain Mri every 3 months. I get blood work every two weeks before treatment and hormone levels have remained the same over the trial. The fatigue is my new normal and over time your mom will adjust, Best wishes!!!!Ed

ed williams
                                                                                        Participant

Hi Melissa, in two weeks I will hit the three year point of trial of Ipi/nivolumab and due to the fact that it is double blinded I can't say with 100% certainty which of the drugs I have gotten. The side effects that you have stated are exactly the same as what I have dealt with. We did talk about using a drug that others on the forum had talked about for the fatigue,if my memory is correct it was a drug similar to Ritalin (which is used for kids with attention issues). I decided not to use it because of having previous cyberknife treatments and possible side effect of the new drugs could have increased risks of bleeding. As far as scans, I have a ct of chest ,abdomen and pelvis done every 3 months and because of brain mets I also have brain Mri every 3 months. I get blood work every two weeks before treatment and hormone levels have remained the same over the trial. The fatigue is my new normal and over time your mom will adjust, Best wishes!!!!Ed

Buddy0513
                                                                                            Participant

That is amazing you are at the 3 year point! What a good thing to hear! 

I have never heard about using that type of drug, nor was it mentioned the other day when my mom saw her Dr. Maybe the side-effects of it aren't worth it (especially if there is a bleeding risk involved which is why my mom turned away from an initially offered trial), or the Dr is hoping, like you said, that she will adjust over time to the new "normal" so to speak. I'm wondering too if the scans will be every 3 months like you, they mentioned getting on a schedule, and that seems to be the common consensus here. 

Thanks for the info. I am going to ask her to speak to the Dr about hormone levels just to double check, maybe over time she will adjust to it like you did and it may even lessen the longer she is off of the steroids and such.

Buddy0513
                                                                                              Participant

I have never heard about using that type of drug, nor was it mentioned the other day when my mom saw her Dr. Maybe the side-effects of it aren't worth it (especially if there is a bleeding risk involved which is why my mom turned away from an initially offered trial), or the Dr is hoping, like you said, that she will adjust over time to the new "normal" so to speak. I'm wondering too if the scans will be every 3 months like you, they mentioned getting on a schedule, and that seems to be the common consensus here. 

Thanks for the info. I am going to ask her to speak to the Dr about hormone levels just to double check, maybe over time she will adjust to it like you did and it may even lessen the longer she is off of the steroids and such.

Buddy0513
                                                                                                Participant

kumarets12
                                                                                                  Participant

In a day-to-day living everyone need to shift in one spot to different as a result of work improvements, retirement, shifting abroad, skilled or personal reasons. Relocation is a boring task and requires many tasks at a same time. For a safe and hassle free move we must do preparing how to shift as packing items, taking the goods, loading-unloading and rearranging.  If you are relocating your self then you should know how to pack your things and shift them safe also a single error will run you a lot. On a regular basis many people changes in Hyderabad for betterment in lifestyle and career and as a result of this you will find tens and thousands of packers and movers in Hyderabad, but that's not crucial that you employ any random separation organization, what is crucial is always to employ the very best and reliable packers and movers in Hyderabad that are charge effective.

packers and movers in pune

http://www.relocateurhome.in/packers-and-movers-pune.html

You'll find the very best packers and movers Hyderabad on the web wherever you can get the full details and information about the company. Packers and movers are educated and experienced as working because years therefore you need to hire packers and movers Hyderabad for moving in Hyderabad. They're the whole solution separation as they provide their world class services for the relocation and grips all kind of separation like office shifting, family moving, commercial relocation, international separation, local moving, car taking, pets and plants move etc.

kumarets12
                                                                                                    Participant

In a day-to-day living everyone need to shift in one spot to different as a result of work improvements, retirement, shifting abroad, skilled or personal reasons. Relocation is a boring task and requires many tasks at a same time. For a safe and hassle free move we must do preparing how to shift as packing items, taking the goods, loading-unloading and rearranging.  If you are relocating your self then you should know how to pack your things and shift them safe also a single error will run you a lot. On a regular basis many people changes in Hyderabad for betterment in lifestyle and career and as a result of this you will find tens and thousands of packers and movers in Hyderabad, but that's not crucial that you employ any random separation organization, what is crucial is always to employ the very best and reliable packers and movers in Hyderabad that are charge effective.

You'll find the very best packers and movers Hyderabad on the web wherever you can get the full details and information about the company. Packers and movers are educated and experienced as working because years therefore you need to hire packers and movers Hyderabad for moving in Hyderabad. They're the whole solution separation as they provide their world class services for the relocation and grips all kind of separation like office shifting, family moving, commercial relocation, international separation, local moving, car taking, pets and plants move etc.

kumarets12
                                                                                                      Participant

ed williams
                                                                                                      Participant

_Paul_
                                                                                                        Participant

Hi Melissa,

Even though I have not had the combo, I have been heavily affected by fatigue. I got quite a bit of relief from Modafinil (Provigil). This drug was developed for people suffering from Narcolepsy, but has found use for people suffering from sleep disorder related problems.

I was able to return to work once I started taking it. It took some time to convince my oncologist to give it to me, and it may be off-label.

I hope your mom finds a solution. Extreme fatigue is not fun.

– Paul

ed williams
                                                                                                            Participant

How much a day do you take Paul?

_Paul_
                                                                                                              Participant

I am actually on a vacation from it at the moment since I am not working,  and look for opportunities to reduce the amount of drugs I am taking. 

But I was taking 100mg in the AM and another 50mg at 3pm.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                Participant

I am actually on a vacation from it at the moment since I am not working,  and look for opportunities to reduce the amount of drugs I am taking. 

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                  Participant

– Paul

ed williams
                                                                                                                    Participant

ed williams
                                                                                                                      Participant

_Paul_
                                                                                                                      Participant

Hi Melissa,

Even though I have not had the combo, I have been heavily affected by fatigue. I got quite a bit of relief from Modafinil (Provigil). This drug was developed for people suffering from Narcolepsy, but has found use for people suffering from sleep disorder related problems.

I was able to return to work once I started taking it. It took some time to convince my oncologist to give it to me, and it may be off-label.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                        Participant

Hi Melissa,

– Paul

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics