The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nivo for stage 3

Forums General Melanoma Community Nivo for stage 3

Participant

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has heard if Nivo was mentioned at the ASCO conference for treatment for Stage3. My oncologist is pushing IPI and I would like to hold out for Nivo

Thanks

Vicki

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

I didn't see anything mentioned about nivo coming out as approved for stage 3 yet, not sure when that will happen. Would be nice if it happened soon, but make sure you don't wait too long, there is a window of time between surgery and start of treatment. I believe my onc said 12 weeks when I asked how long I could wait to start Ipi. 

Hope you're doing well πŸ™‚

jennunicorn
          Participant

I didn't see anything mentioned about nivo coming out as approved for stage 3 yet, not sure when that will happen. Would be nice if it happened soon, but make sure you don't wait too long, there is a window of time between surgery and start of treatment. I believe my onc said 12 weeks when I asked how long I could wait to start Ipi. 

vickiaa0529
              Participant

Thanks Jen

Hope you are doing well. No I don't want to wait too long my surgery was April 4th, but I had to go back in for Cellutitius. It looks like Ipi it is since I haven't found anything about Nivo either. My CT and MRI are on the 15th so I should start sometime shortly after that.

Wish me Luck

jennunicorn
                Participant

Best of luck, hope you have a smooth ride with Ipi!

jennunicorn
                  Participant

jennunicorn
                    Participant

vickiaa0529
                      Participant

Thanks Jen

Hope you are doing well. No I don't want to wait too long my surgery was April 4th, but I had to go back in for Cellutitius. It looks like Ipi it is since I haven't found anything about Nivo either. My CT and MRI are on the 15th so I should start sometime shortly after that.

Wish me Luck

vickiaa0529
                        Participant

Thanks Jen

Wish me Luck

jvictoria
                          Participant

Hi Jenn… I'm on Nivo for Satge 3B, I had no side effects until halfway through month 7 of the clinical trial. Then they all hit like the perfect storm. My 2cents: If I had not had the option of the trial, I would has gone down the ipi route without any hesitation. BTW-when I joined the trial, ipi was not FDA approved for stage 3.

Good luck!

jvictoria
                            Participant

Hi Jenn… I'm on Nivo for Satge 3B, I had no side effects until halfway through month 7 of the clinical trial. Then they all hit like the perfect storm. My 2cents: If I had not had the option of the trial, I would has gone down the ipi route without any hesitation. BTW-when I joined the trial, ipi was not FDA approved for stage 3.

Good luck!

vickiaa0529
                              Participant

Thanks right now I am not eligilible for Nivo for 3b

vickiaa0529
                                Participant

vickiaa0529
                                  Participant

jvictoria
                                    Participant

Good luck!

jennunicorn
                                    Participant

geriakt
                                      Participant

I am on NIVO at stage IIIB but to get it you have to be on a trial. It is not approved for stage III.  My trial is to show the benefits of this treatment at stage III so it will take time for results. If you have the option for Yervoy at stage III I would take it. You are only looking at 4 infusions every 3 weeks and then 3 infusions every 3 months.

Tom 

geriakt
                                        Participant

I am on NIVO at stage IIIB but to get it you have to be on a trial. It is not approved for stage III.  My trial is to show the benefits of this treatment at stage III so it will take time for results. If you have the option for Yervoy at stage III I would take it. You are only looking at 4 infusions every 3 weeks and then 3 infusions every 3 months.

Tom 

vickiaa0529
                                            Participant

Hi

Thanks… I am just worried about the side effects from ipi

Are you in the US? How did you get a Nivo trial?

geriakt
                                              Participant

I am in Orlando FL.  My trial is CA209-238 (NCT02388906).  I interviewed for the trial after my lymph node dissection. 

Also I am told that IPI is approved for stage III at 10mg/kg. Your doctor has the option to offer a lower dose of 3mg/kg.

Tom

geriakt
                                                Participant

I am in Orlando FL.  My trial is CA209-238 (NCT02388906).  I interviewed for the trial after my lymph node dissection. 

Also I am told that IPI is approved for stage III at 10mg/kg. Your doctor has the option to offer a lower dose of 3mg/kg.

Tom

vickiaa0529
                                                  Participant

Thanks… I would prefer the lower dose, I didn't know it was an option

I will find out on the 15th.

vickiaa0529
                                                    Participant

vickiaa0529
                                                      Participant

jennunicorn
                                                        Participant

Not all insurance will approve the lower dose since it was not part of the approval, the FDA approval is for 10mg/kg, so insurance tends to only want to stick with the rules on that. But, sometimes, the doctor can put up a little fight to get the lower dose. Just want you to know in case that doesn't come as an option for you. 

πŸ™‚

jennunicorn
                                                          Participant

Not all insurance will approve the lower dose since it was not part of the approval, the FDA approval is for 10mg/kg, so insurance tends to only want to stick with the rules on that. But, sometimes, the doctor can put up a little fight to get the lower dose. Just want you to know in case that doesn't come as an option for you. 

πŸ™‚

jennunicorn
                                                            Participant

πŸ™‚

geriakt
                                                              Participant

Tom

vickiaa0529
                                                                Participant

Hi

vickiaa0529
                                                                  Participant

Hi

geriakt
                                                                  Participant

Tom 

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics