The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nicola 3 melanoma 0

Forums General Melanoma Community Nicola 3 melanoma 0

Participant

Went back to outpatients at the hospital today to get my results after a wide excision for melanoma in situ.  Yippee all clear margins!!! so happy today.  This is my third melanoma primary over 11 years.  Currently, Stage III from a lymph node dissection in 2001 with one node with melanoma followed by radiation.  5 years later a level 3 desmoplastic melanoma on arm, following by radiation and as of last week a melanoma in situ on back, all clear with the wide excision.  Yeh, I just love giving this disease a kick, three strikes and you are OUT melanoma.

Went back to outpatients at the hospital today to get my results after a wide excision for melanoma in situ.  Yippee all clear margins!!! so happy today.  This is my third melanoma primary over 11 years.  Currently, Stage III from a lymph node dissection in 2001 with one node with melanoma followed by radiation.  5 years later a level 3 desmoplastic melanoma on arm, following by radiation and as of last week a melanoma in situ on back, all clear with the wide excision.  Yeh, I just love giving this disease a kick, three strikes and you are OUT melanoma.

The marketing department at the hospital wanted me to assist them on a television interview to promote new machines in detecting malignant moles and a mobile phone application for people in remote areas which is on an earlier post.  Anyway the professor now wants to put me on a trial,DNA testing and checking over all my moles with this machine.  At last I feel I'm in the best hands and that there is no room for misdiagnosis.

So as far as I'm concerned melanoma is STRUCK OFF and hit out of the stadium.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carol Taylor
        Participant

Love it, Nicky!  Congratulations on your home run and good for you!, being asked to take part in kicking melanoma out of other people's lives also! And, yea for being in great hands and feeling good that it has finally happened!

I hope you're doing some major celebrating! Happy dancing in NC!

Lord, thank you for all the mercy You've shown Your daughter Nicky here. Keep it coming please. Amen and Amen!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
          Participant

Love it, Nicky!  Congratulations on your home run and good for you!, being asked to take part in kicking melanoma out of other people's lives also! And, yea for being in great hands and feeling good that it has finally happened!

I hope you're doing some major celebrating! Happy dancing in NC!

Lord, thank you for all the mercy You've shown Your daughter Nicky here. Keep it coming please. Amen and Amen!

Grace and peace,

Carol

lhaley
            Participant

Nicky,

Keep kicking mel's butt! 

I also have multiple primaries.  If you go into the study still ask your derm to do his normal check!  If the machine you are talking about is the one that I discused with my derm a few visits ago it is still questioned by many dermatologists. So you could be helping others by being part of the study but you also need to keep a visual check!

Glad you caught this one when it was an insitu!

Linda

Nicky
                Participant

thanks linda, I whole heartedly agree.  With this disease you can't put your eggs in one basket, technology is great but it does need to be in conjunction with visual and the usual questions about patient history etc.  I made that a point in the interview which they cut part of it but I did try to say it was an additional tool to fight melanoma.

I have always been an advocate of my own health, particularly with multiple primaries, there have been situations where one doctor will notice a mole but make the decision not to remove it, and not happy with that, I made sure I got a second opinion. Fortunately for me, because it turned out to be melanoma and was quickly removed.  If you are able to get them detected earlier, they seem to think you do have a better chance of survival.

I've had 28 years of being cut up with skin cancers and the last 11 years with melanoma, you do know your body and when somethings not right and with the help of a good medical practitioner it can certainly help with the battle.

Nicky
                  Participant

thanks linda, I whole heartedly agree.  With this disease you can't put your eggs in one basket, technology is great but it does need to be in conjunction with visual and the usual questions about patient history etc.  I made that a point in the interview which they cut part of it but I did try to say it was an additional tool to fight melanoma.

I have always been an advocate of my own health, particularly with multiple primaries, there have been situations where one doctor will notice a mole but make the decision not to remove it, and not happy with that, I made sure I got a second opinion. Fortunately for me, because it turned out to be melanoma and was quickly removed.  If you are able to get them detected earlier, they seem to think you do have a better chance of survival.

I've had 28 years of being cut up with skin cancers and the last 11 years with melanoma, you do know your body and when somethings not right and with the help of a good medical practitioner it can certainly help with the battle.

lhaley
                  Participant

Nicky,

Keep kicking mel's butt! 

I also have multiple primaries.  If you go into the study still ask your derm to do his normal check!  If the machine you are talking about is the one that I discused with my derm a few visits ago it is still questioned by many dermatologists. So you could be helping others by being part of the study but you also need to keep a visual check!

Glad you caught this one when it was an insitu!

Linda

Dynasysman
                    Participant
                      Nicky —

Awesome! Keep kickin’ it and sharing your happy stories with the rest of us. Telling your story makes us warriors more optimistic and the rest of thevworld more vigilant.

NYKaren
                        Participant

Great news, Nicky.  It's wonderful for you and very encouraging for me.

be well.

NYKaren
                          Participant

Great news, Nicky.  It's wonderful for you and very encouraging for me.

be well.

Dynasysman
                          Participant
                            Nicky —

Awesome! Keep kickin’ it and sharing your happy stories with the rest of us. Telling your story makes us warriors more optimistic and the rest of thevworld more vigilant.

Nicky
                            Participant

thanks for all your support

Nicky
                              Participant

thanks for all your support

Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics