The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Next Results In, And ? For Janner or Anyone Else Who Knows.

Forums General Melanoma Community Next Results In, And ? For Janner or Anyone Else Who Knows.

Participant

Ok, First I will say that my last two biopsy came back as just moles. Praise The Lord!!!!! 🙂 But my question is concerning my WLE for the melanoma I had. The Derm had said something about the margins may be inadequate and I might have Mohs Surgery. Well Dr. Chung looked at the report for the WLE and didn't see any reason for further surgery. But as I look at my path report it doesn't seem to have been the appropriate margins cut out. I will tell what the report says and my question is should I get a second opinion? I want everything done right, including correct margins.

Diagnosis:

Skin,Chest,Excision

Negative for residual melanocytic lesion

Comments: After discussion with the patient, the site of this biopsy is the previous site where a malignant melanoma lesion was removed. Immunostains S100 and melan A red fail to demonstrate a melanocytic lesion in this case. This case was received and reviewed by dermatopathologists Jaweed Ansari MD.

Gross Description:

The specimen is recieved in formalin in a container labeled (my name), chest and consists of an ellipse of skin measuring 1.9 x 0.4cm with 0.4 cm underlying tissue. Prior to sectioning, the margins are inked blue and one tip is additionally inked orange. The specimen is serially sectioned and entirely submitted.

Thanks for the input! 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

You can always get a second opinion – it rarely hurts.  Certainly you have full margins on the length with the 19.cm.  The width of 0.4 cm does seem smaller – however you would also want to account for whatever margins there were on the initial biopsy.  Since there was no melanoma found, the WLE is all "margins".  One thing you do need to understand is that tissue shrinks some in formalin so your real margins were actually larger that stated.

So if you were to ask me if I would do Mohs or another WLE, I don't know what I'd say.  I'd want to read the biopsy report first and talk to the doctor again.  I'm on the fence on this one without more info.

Janner
          Participant

You can always get a second opinion – it rarely hurts.  Certainly you have full margins on the length with the 19.cm.  The width of 0.4 cm does seem smaller – however you would also want to account for whatever margins there were on the initial biopsy.  Since there was no melanoma found, the WLE is all "margins".  One thing you do need to understand is that tissue shrinks some in formalin so your real margins were actually larger that stated.

So if you were to ask me if I would do Mohs or another WLE, I don't know what I'd say.  I'd want to read the biopsy report first and talk to the doctor again.  I'm on the fence on this one without more info.

Janner
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics