The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newly diagnosed Tragus

Forums General Melanoma Community Newly diagnosed Tragus

Participant

I was just diagnosed this week with Melanoma of the Tragus. Biopsy was 7mmX5mmX1mm. The biopsy report says melanoma in Situ extends to the lateral margin and also gives a Breslow Depth of 0.35. I am scheduled Monday for a surgical consultation. My regular derm has not explained anything to me. I have been searching the Internet and have found that melanoma in Situ does not have a Breslow Depth so why do I have a depth if it is in Situ? Margins were not clear so is this just preliminary, no staging or anything on initial biopsy. With this being on my ear/face I am very concerned about how they will even clear the margins. Any insight would be appreciated, I am driving myself nuts looking at all this stuff and Monday cannot come soon enough!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        markmsn
        Participant

I had almost the same thing done 5 weeks ago but just in front of my tragus (they actually did the WLE into it though) .   Now you can barely tell I even had the surgery.  I recommend a MOHs surgeon as they know how to make the incision lines hidden right along your ear.   Mine was MIS as well (or at least atypical) . I've had conflicting information.   They did the 5mm margins on mine.    

smelissasuey
            Participant

Thank you for replying! The dr said I am stage 1a and that he will be doing 1 cm margins and I will require a skin graft. Mine is outside on top of tragus but will have to cut margins into the inner canal and up into ear and probably take some cartilage off. Will be done under general anesthesia. 

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics