The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newly Diagnosed Stage IIIC

Forums General Melanoma Community Newly Diagnosed Stage IIIC

Participant

I had a 2.1mm tumor removed with wide excision from just above my right knee on August 19 and an SLND done as well with these results: superficial spreading melanoma with nevoid features, maximum tumor thickness 2.1mm, ulceration present, mitotic rate =4, 4 of 4 lymph nodes with micromatasteses. I am awaiting results of scans done on Friday

i am scheduled for further lymph node dissection on the 24th. Dr. Flaherty at MGH is recommending I begin pegylated interferon weekly self injections 4 weeks later due to the increased RFS for the subset of positive lymph node and tumor ulceration in the large trial done in Europe. Assuming the scans come back with no measurable metastises. I am also changing my blood pressure medicine to propranolol, just in case there is a benefit that will be tested soon at the university of Geneva clinical trial

my questions are, has any one done the weekly pegylated interferon treatment? What were the side effects you experienced and how well did you tolerate them? Did you have the side effects every day? How long did you stay with the treatments?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Melissag0624
        Participant
          Rjr, I was diagnosed with stage 3b in January of 2013 and in June I started my first round of biochemo which included 3 rounds of inferon after a 5 day hospital stay. I will say that inferon was by far the most painful part of the various drugs I was given but to be fair when I was in the hospital I had full access to strong intravenous pain relivers where as at home I did not, Tylenol and tramadol and lots of hot baths helped take the edge off but you just have to know it is a temporary pain. This was the drug I dreaded the most during treatment. It was only recommended that I do 3 rounds of the biochemo/inferon combo and by the 3rd round I was so sick from the biochemo I refused to do the inferon. It’s still in my fridge. So I was a wuss and only made it through 2 rounds. The main symptom I experienced was the body aches that were miserable. It’s like having the flu times ten. For me it only lasted for a day or two but i had no appetite and constant nausea for weeks at a time. The best advise I can give you is to not let yourself get dehydrated and keep the meds in your system at all times. I ended up in the critical care unit after every round needing fluids because I was so dehydrated that I couldn’t keep the water I used to swallow my meds down with, down. I know this information probably doesn’t make you excited about the possibility of signing up for this treatment option but what got me through it was knowing that I was being proactive in my treatment instead of waiting for the melanoma to show its ugly face again and the fact that I knew it wasn’t going to be forever. We can all do inferon if we put our minds to it. Because I did the combination of bio chemo/inferon I was unable to work for 3 months, but talking to others and with my personal experience with inferon, I can see where it would be possible to work if your only doing weekly injection inferon. Just plan it around two consecutive days off, inject Friday night before bed and I would think you would be ok by monday? Maybe take a week off for your first one to see how long it takes you personally to feel ok again. Make sure when injecting inferon to do it before bed and take pain meds with it. I would do the shot and feel the side effects about 2-3 hours later. I lost about 2/3rd of my hair but i think it was mainly due to the biochemo. I hope this helps somewhat.
          Melissag0624
          Participant
            Rjr, I was diagnosed with stage 3b in January of 2013 and in June I started my first round of biochemo which included 3 rounds of inferon after a 5 day hospital stay. I will say that inferon was by far the most painful part of the various drugs I was given but to be fair when I was in the hospital I had full access to strong intravenous pain relivers where as at home I did not, Tylenol and tramadol and lots of hot baths helped take the edge off but you just have to know it is a temporary pain. This was the drug I dreaded the most during treatment. It was only recommended that I do 3 rounds of the biochemo/inferon combo and by the 3rd round I was so sick from the biochemo I refused to do the inferon. It’s still in my fridge. So I was a wuss and only made it through 2 rounds. The main symptom I experienced was the body aches that were miserable. It’s like having the flu times ten. For me it only lasted for a day or two but i had no appetite and constant nausea for weeks at a time. The best advise I can give you is to not let yourself get dehydrated and keep the meds in your system at all times. I ended up in the critical care unit after every round needing fluids because I was so dehydrated that I couldn’t keep the water I used to swallow my meds down with, down. I know this information probably doesn’t make you excited about the possibility of signing up for this treatment option but what got me through it was knowing that I was being proactive in my treatment instead of waiting for the melanoma to show its ugly face again and the fact that I knew it wasn’t going to be forever. We can all do inferon if we put our minds to it. Because I did the combination of bio chemo/inferon I was unable to work for 3 months, but talking to others and with my personal experience with inferon, I can see where it would be possible to work if your only doing weekly injection inferon. Just plan it around two consecutive days off, inject Friday night before bed and I would think you would be ok by monday? Maybe take a week off for your first one to see how long it takes you personally to feel ok again. Make sure when injecting inferon to do it before bed and take pain meds with it. I would do the shot and feel the side effects about 2-3 hours later. I lost about 2/3rd of my hair but i think it was mainly due to the biochemo. I hope this helps somewhat.
            Melissag0624
            Participant
          Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics