The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newly Diagnosed Stage 3a

Forums General Melanoma Community Newly Diagnosed Stage 3a

Participant
      Hi everyone! Just background—found a spot on my ear In April. Have had “precancerous” places before removed, so I headed to dermatologist. After 3 weeks of waiting bc it was sent to 2 pathologist, I was diagnosed with .9 with ulceration Mel. After visiting a couple drs about 4 weeks apart, I finally had an ear resection and 5 lymph nodes removed. 1 came back positive. So waited 2 weeks to see oncologist and was diagnosed stage 3a. Had a pet scan yesterday and it was all clear!!!(YES!!) I meet with oncologist Monday to start Obdivo. I am a kindergarten teacher and pretty scared bc of side effects I have read about. I know everyone is different. I am so glad I found this forum, because I can’t talk to many people about melanoma. It’s a different kind of cancer and everyone tries to compare it others. They want to know why I have no answers at certain points and why we have to wait on everything. It gets very frustrating!
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        MelanomaMike
        Participant
          Welcome Jmbaker4! Well thats great news! I was 3b when i was 1st diagnosed back in 2008 and im still here! Opdivo sounds good at this point for you, dont even stress on side effects, Opdivo is VERY tolerable for most, the worst that could happen is a certain “gland” will get mad at ya and let you know about it!! Haha…welcome aboard to our board! Lol…
          Bubbles
          Participant
            Sorry you have the need to join us, JM! You’re right, melanoma is special and sucks great big green stinky hairy wizard balls for all involved!! Still, Mike is on point!!! You caught it relatively early, your scans are clear, and you have a great plan for adjuvant care. (Your opdivo treament.) We have learned it works!!! Side effects vary, but I worked through taking it for 2 1/2 years in a clinical trial for Stage IV melanoma and I’m still here!!! Last dose of Opdivo was in June of 2013 and I remain NED (having ‘no evidence of disease’) for melanoma.. Hang in there. Ask questions as you have the need. There are lots of knowledgeable and caring peeps on this board. I wish you my best. Celeste
            lkb
            Participant
              Welcome JM and congrats on the clear scan! As previously mentioned by two of the many kind and thoughtful people on this forum, Opdivo/Nivo side effects vary, but the drug tends to be well tolerated. I did a dose every two weeks (rather than every four) and own side effects on it were mild. Again, welcome.
              ed williams
              Participant
                Hi there JMBaker4, just one question for you did they test your tumor to see if you are Braf positive which would make targeted therapy an option??? Here is a link to ASCO 2019 ONclive peer panel talk about what do oncologist need to discuss when making decisions for adjuvant (stage 3) patients. Good luck with the Opdivo treatments they have saved my life going on 6 years stage four with brain and lung mets!!!Ed https://www.onclive.com/peer-exchange/malignant-melanoma-management/stage-iii-melanoma-adjuvant-therapy-trials
                  ed williams
                  Participant
                    I should add that ONclive will want you to join, it is free and it is a great source of melanoma information!!! The peer panel sessions eventually end up on YouTube as well, here is a link to another adjuvant talk on Braf mutation testing from ASCO meetings in June of 2019. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zCZ8OkojFHo&time_continue=215
                    ed williams
                    Participant
                      One more link if you are interested on Braf testing!!!https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Eov56UjzO18
                      jmbaker4
                      Participant
                        She was testing for the BRAF but at today’s appt she didn’t mention it. I will message them to ask again! Thanks for the info!!!!!:)
                      Baby_Girl
                      Participant
                        I am stage 3 and currently on Opdivo. I have had 4 infusions so far and I have them every 4 weeks. The only side effects I have had so far is being tired and my liver enzymes went up some but then came back down. I’m also a new mom so not sure if the tiredness is from Opdivo or from my sweet baby girl 🙂
                          Sdmotorcop
                          Participant
                            I am stage 3c and had 1 infusion of Opdivo on June 1st (monthly dose). I have had 2 side effects. The first is being very tired (think of a battery running down). An hour nap and I’m good for usually the rest of the day. The second is PMR like symptoms (polymyalgia Rheumatica). Sore shoulders, upper arms and hips. My Kaiser doc doesn’t want to put me on steroids because he believes it will counteract the opdivo. We will treat the symptoms with pain meds going forward. I had to skip my July dose but will start again in August.
                            jmbaker4
                            Participant
                              Glad to know this! Enjoy that baby girl!!! 🙂
                            A girl with a mole
                            Participant
                              Hi! It is interesting to me why did they remove you 5 lymph nodes? It was found during the Sentinel biopsy?
                          Viewing 5 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics