The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

newly diagnosed, sentinal node biospy side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community newly diagnosed, sentinal node biospy side effects

Participant

Hello,

I am newly diagnosed and 6 days ago, I underwent WLE and SLNB at both armpits. 5 nodes were taken for one side and that side i am experiencing burningin the arm pit and spreading down the inner arm towards the elbow. I have no sign of redness, swelling, fever, just this burning sensation. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Thank you

Hello,

I am newly diagnosed and 6 days ago, I underwent WLE and SLNB at both armpits. 5 nodes were taken for one side and that side i am experiencing burningin the arm pit and spreading down the inner arm towards the elbow. I have no sign of redness, swelling, fever, just this burning sensation. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Thank you

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I'm sorry you've had to join us but hopefully we can help.  Quite often when they do surgery they knick or cut nerves. What your feeling is normal healing!!  I had about 6 nodes removed in the right axilla region and it took about 8 weeks to not have the stinging feeling.  You might also have what I call a "sticky" feeling under your arm. 

Have they told yo when you'll get your results?

I like your quote.

Linda

Stage IV since 06

lhaley
          Participant

I'm sorry you've had to join us but hopefully we can help.  Quite often when they do surgery they knick or cut nerves. What your feeling is normal healing!!  I had about 6 nodes removed in the right axilla region and it took about 8 weeks to not have the stinging feeling.  You might also have what I call a "sticky" feeling under your arm. 

Have they told yo when you'll get your results?

I like your quote.

Linda

Stage IV since 06

A
            Participant

I am sorry about your diagnosis. I saw your profile and noticed that the depth of your melanoma was below 1 mm, I am wondering what was the reason for SNB?

Thanks

Joan
                Participant

Linda, Thank you for the reassurance about the nerves. I did wonder if a nerve could be involved. I will get the biopsy results within the next 7 days.

anon…I had 3 different labs read the same slides and of course, got 3 similar but slightly different reports. My original mm was measured with .75 as lowest and 1.1 has deepest. Mitosis was read as 3 or 4. one report showed ulceration 2 showed no ulceration. The doctors felt that there was enough "question" to warrant the SLNB. i also have very good genes…my mom just passed away as a healthy 98 yr.I have big shoes to fill and want to be prepared to fight this if it is there. If neg biopsies, I will have surveillance every 3 months with my dermatologist and every 6 months at the specialized Melanoma clinic.

Joan
                  Participant

Linda, Thank you for the reassurance about the nerves. I did wonder if a nerve could be involved. I will get the biopsy results within the next 7 days.

anon…I had 3 different labs read the same slides and of course, got 3 similar but slightly different reports. My original mm was measured with .75 as lowest and 1.1 has deepest. Mitosis was read as 3 or 4. one report showed ulceration 2 showed no ulceration. The doctors felt that there was enough "question" to warrant the SLNB. i also have very good genes…my mom just passed away as a healthy 98 yr.I have big shoes to fill and want to be prepared to fight this if it is there. If neg biopsies, I will have surveillance every 3 months with my dermatologist and every 6 months at the specialized Melanoma clinic.

Joan
                    Participant

Vermont_Donna
                      Participant

Hi Joan,

Sorry you have had to join our ranks but you have come to the right place for support and education! I had a wle and snb of my leg and groin 4 years ago, so I'm a little foggy on some of the side effects. But I can tell you that there are a lot of lingering nerve issues in my leg from the LND, not so much the SNB. I did have a wound infection 2 weeks after the SNB which landed me in the hospital but there were signs of trouble before that (a seroma that needed to be drained, increasing pain and redness, etc). I am hoping for you that the results are negative. Good for you for deciding on doing the wle and snb with such conflicting information on your initial reports (why did you have three?) but it seems that you took the way I would…just look and see what is going on then deal with it. yes there are going to be side effects but those we can LIVE with, the emphasis on LIVE!!!

Best of luck, and write anytime,

Vermont_Donna

stage 3a, numerous treatments, currently doing a clinical trial of IPI, 2 rounds done

Joan
                        Participant

HI Donna,  I had 3 readings because…my original dermatologist sent the lesion to the UCSF because he likes that lab. When it came back he actually suggested, because he was on the fence, that I get 2 opinion. Both places that I went for opinions were major Melanoma specialtiesand they each  had their own dermatopathologists read the slides . I understand that is typical..like wanting to give an opinion after  doing their own homework was done.

Thank you for your support (from neighboring NH)

Joan

Joan
                          Participant

HI Donna,  I had 3 readings because…my original dermatologist sent the lesion to the UCSF because he likes that lab. When it came back he actually suggested, because he was on the fence, that I get 2 opinion. Both places that I went for opinions were major Melanoma specialtiesand they each  had their own dermatopathologists read the slides . I understand that is typical..like wanting to give an opinion after  doing their own homework was done.

Thank you for your support (from neighboring NH)

Joan

Vermont_Donna
                            Participant

Hi Joan,

Sorry you have had to join our ranks but you have come to the right place for support and education! I had a wle and snb of my leg and groin 4 years ago, so I'm a little foggy on some of the side effects. But I can tell you that there are a lot of lingering nerve issues in my leg from the LND, not so much the SNB. I did have a wound infection 2 weeks after the SNB which landed me in the hospital but there were signs of trouble before that (a seroma that needed to be drained, increasing pain and redness, etc). I am hoping for you that the results are negative. Good for you for deciding on doing the wle and snb with such conflicting information on your initial reports (why did you have three?) but it seems that you took the way I would…just look and see what is going on then deal with it. yes there are going to be side effects but those we can LIVE with, the emphasis on LIVE!!!

Best of luck, and write anytime,

Vermont_Donna

stage 3a, numerous treatments, currently doing a clinical trial of IPI, 2 rounds done

Joan
                              Participant

A
                              Participant

I am sorry about your diagnosis. I saw your profile and noticed that the depth of your melanoma was below 1 mm, I am wondering what was the reason for SNB?

Thanks

dian in spokane
                                Participant

yes, I had the exact sensation when I had my SNB on my left arm. Plus, after a few days, I also had this sensation like a tight band was stretching from my armpit down my arm. At some point I started doing a little stretching (after getting the ok from my doc) to help that sensation.

I had intermittant burning, stinging, and pain (mild) for months after my surgery. Maybe longer. I still have some numbness on my upper forearm, below my surgical site, 7 yrs down the road. Though not the kind of numbness I had right after surgery.

Good luck! I hope your results are good.

dian

Joan
                                    Participant

Thanks, Dian. The site is improving slowly, I have my 2 week PO check next Tuesday..anxiously awaiting results.

lhaley..yes, I notice the "sticky" feeling as well.

Best wishes to you all for a happy ans HEALTHY new year!

Joan

Joan
                                      Participant

just an update-I am happy to report NED in my lymph nodes. smiley

The discomfort I am still experiencing is due to nerve irrritation. I had swelling (8 nodes removed from one side, 2 from the other) and could not wear a bra because of the discomfort on the left side. Bought a sports bra one band and cup size bigger and that was much more comfortable.  I was told that the nerve discomfort should improve over time.

So, now, it is surveillance every 3 months.

Thanks for all the support. This is a great website.

Joan

Joan
                                        Participant

just an update-I am happy to report NED in my lymph nodes. smiley

The discomfort I am still experiencing is due to nerve irrritation. I had swelling (8 nodes removed from one side, 2 from the other) and could not wear a bra because of the discomfort on the left side. Bought a sports bra one band and cup size bigger and that was much more comfortable.  I was told that the nerve discomfort should improve over time.

So, now, it is surveillance every 3 months.

Thanks for all the support. This is a great website.

Joan

Joan
                                          Participant

Thanks, Dian. The site is improving slowly, I have my 2 week PO check next Tuesday..anxiously awaiting results.

lhaley..yes, I notice the "sticky" feeling as well.

Best wishes to you all for a happy ans HEALTHY new year!

Joan

dian in spokane
                                          Participant

yes, I had the exact sensation when I had my SNB on my left arm. Plus, after a few days, I also had this sensation like a tight band was stretching from my armpit down my arm. At some point I started doing a little stretching (after getting the ok from my doc) to help that sensation.

I had intermittant burning, stinging, and pain (mild) for months after my surgery. Maybe longer. I still have some numbness on my upper forearm, below my surgical site, 7 yrs down the road. Though not the kind of numbness I had right after surgery.

Good luck! I hope your results are good.

dian

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics