The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newly Diagnosed

Forums General Melanoma Community Newly Diagnosed

Participant

Hello. I have been reading on this forum for awhile now and there seem to be some very knowledgable people here.  I was diagnosed last month. I had a mole removed from my right foot that came back a superficial spreading melanoma, Breslow depth 1.57, no ulceration, mitosis was high at 18, biopsy showed no vascular or lymphatic invasion, margins were clear. I then had my WLE and SLNB. Surgeon did a graft on my foot which is doing great, two nodes removed, sentinel node had microscopic cancer cells, second node was clear.

Hello. I have been reading on this forum for awhile now and there seem to be some very knowledgable people here.  I was diagnosed last month. I had a mole removed from my right foot that came back a superficial spreading melanoma, Breslow depth 1.57, no ulceration, mitosis was high at 18, biopsy showed no vascular or lymphatic invasion, margins were clear. I then had my WLE and SLNB. Surgeon did a graft on my foot which is doing great, two nodes removed, sentinel node had microscopic cancer cells, second node was clear. Naturally, this has been the scariest thing I have ever faced.  I have done lots of reading, probably too much.  I am having rest of nodes taken out next week. My oncologist really expects them to be clear. Also had CT scan, it was clear. One of the fears I have is of cancer cells getting in the bloodstream. My oncologist said that the cells seek out the lymphatics. Everything I have read says the same thing. From what I have read, thicker lesions are the most likely to penetrate the bloodstream. Does anyone have good information about how often this happens. My oncologist also said, when i asked about recurrence, that it does not recur very often. My doctor came very highly recommended, and he has given me a good outlook.  Also, I am concerned about lymphadema. Has anyone had an experience with this in their leg. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

BeckyC. 

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

Becky,

So sorry about you diagnosis.  I am also the same stage you probably are, 3a.  My lymph nodes were removed in my arm so I can't help specifically but I can tell you a couple of things.  After surgery, keep you leg raised, especially try to when you sleep.  Get an RX from you doctor for a lymphedema stocking and a massage therapist to have handy in case you need it.  I got my sleeve as soon as I was my arm was back to "normal".  As soon as you see any sweeling that lasts more than a few days get to the massage therapist.  If you don't let lymphedema get away from you you have a better chance. 

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
          Participant

Becky,

So sorry about you diagnosis.  I am also the same stage you probably are, 3a.  My lymph nodes were removed in my arm so I can't help specifically but I can tell you a couple of things.  After surgery, keep you leg raised, especially try to when you sleep.  Get an RX from you doctor for a lymphedema stocking and a massage therapist to have handy in case you need it.  I got my sleeve as soon as I was my arm was back to "normal".  As soon as you see any sweeling that lasts more than a few days get to the massage therapist.  If you don't let lymphedema get away from you you have a better chance. 

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

Teodora

Hi Becky,

I am sorry you had to join us.Please keep in mind that melanoma goes strictly individual from one person to another and from what I've learned  melanoma follows no rules at all.This being said, you are quite correct.Thicker lesions seem to invade the blood vessels easier and that's what happened to me.I've had a reocurrence via the blood stream 9 months after removing 3.5 cm internal  primary with no lymph nodes involvement.Thus being said,with proper monitoring/follow ups any abnormalities should be detected/removed as soon as possible and that would be your safetest bet.Be vigilant and try to do anything to stay on top of it-melanoma is a head game and you have to be smart to outsmart it-regular check ups,PET/CAT scans etc.Make sure you feel comfortable with your doctors and  if not,seek a secon/third opinion straight away.Be your own advocate, follow your gut instincts and never let yourself be swayed by other people opinions/even medical doctors or  what you read/come across on the Internet as you know  yourself better than anyone else.It is normal to be scared at first, but then you have to pull yourself togetjer and come up with the ultimate survival strategy.Melanoma is a head game-stay strong or it will conquer you.

I am sending you my best wishes,

Teodora

Teodora

Hi Becky,

I am sorry you had to join us.Please keep in mind that melanoma goes strictly individual from one person to another and from what I've learned  melanoma follows no rules at all.This being said, you are quite correct.Thicker lesions seem to invade the blood vessels easier and that's what happened to me.I've had a reocurrence via the blood stream 9 months after removing 3.5 cm internal  primary with no lymph nodes involvement.Thus being said,with proper monitoring/follow ups any abnormalities should be detected/removed as soon as possible and that would be your safetest bet.Be vigilant and try to do anything to stay on top of it-melanoma is a head game and you have to be smart to outsmart it-regular check ups,PET/CAT scans etc.Make sure you feel comfortable with your doctors and  if not,seek a secon/third opinion straight away.Be your own advocate, follow your gut instincts and never let yourself be swayed by other people opinions/even medical doctors or  what you read/come across on the Internet as you know  yourself better than anyone else.It is normal to be scared at first, but then you have to pull yourself togetjer and come up with the ultimate survival strategy.Melanoma is a head game-stay strong or it will conquer you.

I am sending you my best wishes,

Teodora

lhaley
                Participant

Becky,

I'm sorry you've had to join us.  According to a discussion I had with Dr. David Alilio (I know I've mispelled his name but I talked to him at the Chapel Hill melanoma symposium) it goes in the blood line approx. 8% of the time. 

My original was .94 according to one report and 1.05 according to another in 1979. It passed in the blood line and showed up in 2006. No ulceration and no mitosis. Have to admit that a 27 year recurrance is rare but it just means that you have to be vigilent.  I've now been stage IV for 5 years with many recurrances in various parts of the body.  They did not have SNB's then but obviously it would have been negative.

My mel went to the lymph system last summer and I've now had it in 3 nodes showing up 1 node at a time.  When you are stage IV they cherry pick and take out only the immediately surrounding nodes. These 3 were in 2 different basins.

I'm glad you are healing well. I don't want my story to scare you but wanted you to know that it can go in the blood line and obviously mine wasn't thick.  The first recurrance showed up deep under the original primary scar line.

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Becky,

I'm sorry you've had to join us.  According to a discussion I had with Dr. David Alilio (I know I've mispelled his name but I talked to him at the Chapel Hill melanoma symposium) it goes in the blood line approx. 8% of the time. 

My original was .94 according to one report and 1.05 according to another in 1979. It passed in the blood line and showed up in 2006. No ulceration and no mitosis. Have to admit that a 27 year recurrance is rare but it just means that you have to be vigilent.  I've now been stage IV for 5 years with many recurrances in various parts of the body.  They did not have SNB's then but obviously it would have been negative.

My mel went to the lymph system last summer and I've now had it in 3 nodes showing up 1 node at a time.  When you are stage IV they cherry pick and take out only the immediately surrounding nodes. These 3 were in 2 different basins.

I'm glad you are healing well. I don't want my story to scare you but wanted you to know that it can go in the blood line and obviously mine wasn't thick.  The first recurrance showed up deep under the original primary scar line.

Linda

FormerCaregiver
                    Participant

Welcome to our forum, Becky. I encourage you to fill in the significant details (such as depth of primary) on your profile page, as this will help us to help you better. 

While it good to read about melanoma, it is wise not to become too overwhelmed by all statistics that are on the net.

The reason why the depth of the primary is important is that once it is much over 4.0mm, there is a strong chance that melanoma cells will have entered the bloodstream. I feel that this depth often predicts how quickly malignant cells will tend to spread.

If the depth is a lot less than 4.0mm, melanoma can spread superficially and/or through the lymph system. However, sometimes it doesn't spread much at all as it can be fairly unpredictable in how it behaves.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

Becky C.
                        Participant

Thank you so much for your reply. That information was very encouraging. My original post has my details of my original lesion. I was a Breslow depth of 1.57.  I have a tendency to be a worrier, so the info I am getting here is very helpful. I really trust my oncologist, but it's good to get more info between visits.

Thanks

BeckyC.

Becky C.
                          Participant

Thank you so much for your reply. That information was very encouraging. My original post has my details of my original lesion. I was a Breslow depth of 1.57.  I have a tendency to be a worrier, so the info I am getting here is very helpful. I really trust my oncologist, but it's good to get more info between visits.

Thanks

BeckyC.

FormerCaregiver
                          Participant

Welcome to our forum, Becky. I encourage you to fill in the significant details (such as depth of primary) on your profile page, as this will help us to help you better. 

While it good to read about melanoma, it is wise not to become too overwhelmed by all statistics that are on the net.

The reason why the depth of the primary is important is that once it is much over 4.0mm, there is a strong chance that melanoma cells will have entered the bloodstream. I feel that this depth often predicts how quickly malignant cells will tend to spread.

If the depth is a lot less than 4.0mm, melanoma can spread superficially and/or through the lymph system. However, sometimes it doesn't spread much at all as it can be fairly unpredictable in how it behaves.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

Viewing 7 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics