The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newbie seeks knowledge from the wise

Forums General Melanoma Community Newbie seeks knowledge from the wise

Participant

I am still somewhat in shock.   About a month ago,  a bleeding "pimple " on my arm was diagnosed as mel, Breslau thickness 2.6 mm, making me Stage 2 , I guess

There I was thinking I was very healthy, at age 61, and still pretty active – skiing, gym, riding my bicycle to work, and an aspiring, but totally inept, surfer. Little did I know that the nasties were at work inside me.

This web site has been extremely helpful in understanding both the medical aspects of the desease and the frame of mind needed to beat it.

I am still somewhat in shock.   About a month ago,  a bleeding "pimple " on my arm was diagnosed as mel, Breslau thickness 2.6 mm, making me Stage 2 , I guess

There I was thinking I was very healthy, at age 61, and still pretty active – skiing, gym, riding my bicycle to work, and an aspiring, but totally inept, surfer. Little did I know that the nasties were at work inside me.

This web site has been extremely helpful in understanding both the medical aspects of the desease and the frame of mind needed to beat it.

Two questions I would like to pose to the knowledgeable who frequent this blog:

1. An SLN biopsy operation has been scheduled for next week.  If it turns out positive for cancer (and I hope not), standard medical practice seems to indicate that the next step is to take out all the nodes in the area. However, at the same time, reading some recent papers, I detect that the doctors are having doubts whether removing the nodes, other than the sentinels, does much good.  In fact there is a big study underway comparing the life expectancies of those who do a lymph node disection with those who don't.    Any thoughts?

2. I have been reading Alexandr Solzhenetsyn's book – Cancer Ward.  Its a fine , even perhaps great, novel (he got the Nobel prize after all), and lays out the reality of cancer.  In the novel he describes the curative powers of what he calls Chaga or Shaga, which is a mushroom that grows on dead birch trees in Siberia. His own experience with cancer relates to his time in a prison camp in Siberia where he developed stomach cancer. He learnt about Shaga from some of the local hunters, who brewed up this tea made from mushrooms for all their ailments. Solzhenetsyn claims it cured his cancer.  I found the stuff in a local Russian store and have been diligently drinking 3 cups of tea a day made with it. It is quite pleasant tasting, and ,as I discovered , is extremely high, in anti -oxidants. My question is:  Do any of you  have experience with Chaga and its curative powers with respect to mel?

best wishes

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        ChristineL
        Participant

I'm sorry that you had to have this experience, but I too have learned a lot from this board. 

I had a positive node with .1 mm on it.  Not much! I have read the research about which you speak, and most says it really depends on the amount in the node.  That said, I went the safe route, just to make sure there was nothing else in the nodes (fortunately there wasn't, and I don't regret my decision to have the surgery).   Perhaps you won't even have to worry about making this decision due to a negative node.

As for chaga,  I am drinking chaga tea (actually chaga chai) as well, and am taking a daily tincture of chaga, reishi, and maitake as well as eating maitake when I can (a friend picked 5 pounds for me!).  I don't have any results yet, as I have just started taking it all myself, but anecdotal research (and historic info) suggests that it helps, and I figure we can all use all the help we can get! 

I hope this helps, and continue living your healthy lifestyle!

Best,

ChristineL

Stage IIIb

bluepeople
            Participant

Hi,

So where do you get this Chaga tea?  Is it the same if you use Chaga powder? 

thanks,

Akilyn

ChristineL
              Participant

I got the Chaga Chai from Greg Marley, a local (Maine) mycologist and author.  His website (www.mushroomsforhealth.com) doesn't seem to be working, but you can probably find his phone number online.

Best,

ChristineL

Stage IIIb

bluepeople
                Participant

Thank you for the info.  I'll look it up.  Thanks

bluepeople
                  Participant

Thank you for the info.  I'll look it up.  Thanks

ChristineL
                    Participant

I got the Chaga Chai from Greg Marley, a local (Maine) mycologist and author.  His website (www.mushroomsforhealth.com) doesn't seem to be working, but you can probably find his phone number online.

Best,

ChristineL

Stage IIIb

bluepeople
                      Participant

Hi,

So where do you get this Chaga tea?  Is it the same if you use Chaga powder? 

thanks,

Akilyn

ChristineL
                      Participant

I'm sorry that you had to have this experience, but I too have learned a lot from this board. 

I had a positive node with .1 mm on it.  Not much! I have read the research about which you speak, and most says it really depends on the amount in the node.  That said, I went the safe route, just to make sure there was nothing else in the nodes (fortunately there wasn't, and I don't regret my decision to have the surgery).   Perhaps you won't even have to worry about making this decision due to a negative node.

As for chaga,  I am drinking chaga tea (actually chaga chai) as well, and am taking a daily tincture of chaga, reishi, and maitake as well as eating maitake when I can (a friend picked 5 pounds for me!).  I don't have any results yet, as I have just started taking it all myself, but anecdotal research (and historic info) suggests that it helps, and I figure we can all use all the help we can get! 

I hope this helps, and continue living your healthy lifestyle!

Best,

ChristineL

Stage IIIb

Springbok
                        Participant

ChristineL

Thanks for your response. Looks like you and me will be travelling down the same path.

– Springbok

Springbok
                          Participant

ChristineL

Thanks for your response. Looks like you and me will be travelling down the same path.

– Springbok

Springbok
                            Participant

Akilyn,

Just google "Chaga" and you will find many mail order Companies. Also, if you live in a city with a significant Russian population, you can probably find this stuff in one of their stores.

Regards

Springbok
                              Participant

Akilyn,

Just google "Chaga" and you will find many mail order Companies. Also, if you live in a city with a significant Russian population, you can probably find this stuff in one of their stores.

Regards

himynameiskevin
                                Participant

That's funny you mention the chaga, right before i came to check the boards I was watching a video on Danial Vitalis who strongly encourages the use of chaga and reishi for it's medicinal qualities. I've been brewing reishi tea for a month or two now. Not sure if it's helping, but who knows, things may have been a lot worse without the tea… for now I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. 🙂

himynameiskevin
                                  Participant

That's funny you mention the chaga, right before i came to check the boards I was watching a video on Danial Vitalis who strongly encourages the use of chaga and reishi for it's medicinal qualities. I've been brewing reishi tea for a month or two now. Not sure if it's helping, but who knows, things may have been a lot worse without the tea… for now I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. 🙂

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics