The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newbie questions regarding trials and insurance

Forums General Melanoma Community Newbie questions regarding trials and insurance

Participant

I'm just wondering how do you fight insurance to get to major cancer centers such as MD Anderson?  We live in michigan, my father has medicare thru an insurance company here.  And FINALLY after 3 weeks of daily calls to the insurance, his oncologist, and MDA we have a signed contract JUST for a 1 day consult.  Is this typical to have to fight so HARD against the insurance companies?  I was told originally by MDA that we would be there for 3-5 days for a consult, but now we will be there for a day.

I'm just wondering how do you fight insurance to get to major cancer centers such as MD Anderson?  We live in michigan, my father has medicare thru an insurance company here.  And FINALLY after 3 weeks of daily calls to the insurance, his oncologist, and MDA we have a signed contract JUST for a 1 day consult.  Is this typical to have to fight so HARD against the insurance companies?  I was told originally by MDA that we would be there for 3-5 days for a consult, but now we will be there for a day.

Sorry I'm trying to learn the ropes and we are new to this "game".  Any information and tips would be helpful!!   dad has stage IV (brain, liver, lung) and just finished brain radiation last monday.  

So I guess my questions are 

1.  How to deal with insurance (or is it medicare that is a problem?) or is there an insurance that you may have that was ok with MDA

2.  While at MDA for the consult will they discuss all his possible options in regards to clinical trials he qualifies for or do we need to know what he may qualify for (via clinicaltrials.gov) ?

3.   I may be adding more! thanks

Melissa 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jackie W
        Participant

My husband had medicare, but not through an insurance company.  Just plain medicare and supplemental insurance through AARP.  He could go anywhere in the US for treatment or consults.  We did go to MDA.  I would tend to think this is an insurance problem, not a medicare problem.  I would also call medicare to see if the insurance company can do this. I also think the reason they want him there for 3 to 5 days is that MDA likes to have their own scans and any tests.  If there is anything I can answer for you, please feel free to e-mail me.

I would also add that in the 9 years we went there, we never paid anything for the scans, tests, surgeries, etc.  Medicare and supplemental took care of  it all.

Jackie W

Jackie W
          Participant

My husband had medicare, but not through an insurance company.  Just plain medicare and supplemental insurance through AARP.  He could go anywhere in the US for treatment or consults.  We did go to MDA.  I would tend to think this is an insurance problem, not a medicare problem.  I would also call medicare to see if the insurance company can do this. I also think the reason they want him there for 3 to 5 days is that MDA likes to have their own scans and any tests.  If there is anything I can answer for you, please feel free to e-mail me.

I would also add that in the 9 years we went there, we never paid anything for the scans, tests, surgeries, etc.  Medicare and supplemental took care of  it all.

Jackie W

Jackie W
            Participant

I forgot to add, that the travelling expenses, hotels, meals, etc. are not covered by medicare or supplemental insurance.

Jackie W

naty
                Participant

Thanks Jackie.  I'd love to email you (how do I do that? my email is [email protected] )

I know we have to pay for the airfare, hotels, etc.  Which is fine and I know there are some resources out there if needed .  It just took us 3 weeks to get an appointment scheduled for him as MDA would not make one until they had a written contract with dad's insurance.   I'm calling the insurance in teh am to at least try to obtain a prior auth for both CT and MRI of abdomen, chest, neck and brain so maybe we can cut out some insurance tape while there.

naty
                  Participant

Thanks Jackie.  I'd love to email you (how do I do that? my email is [email protected] )

I know we have to pay for the airfare, hotels, etc.  Which is fine and I know there are some resources out there if needed .  It just took us 3 weeks to get an appointment scheduled for him as MDA would not make one until they had a written contract with dad's insurance.   I'm calling the insurance in teh am to at least try to obtain a prior auth for both CT and MRI of abdomen, chest, neck and brain so maybe we can cut out some insurance tape while there.

Jackie W
                  Participant

I forgot to add, that the travelling expenses, hotels, meals, etc. are not covered by medicare or supplemental insurance.

Jackie W

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics