The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newbie here! Braftovi/Mektovi Side Effect Question – plus some general stuff

Forums General Melanoma Community Newbie here! Braftovi/Mektovi Side Effect Question – plus some general stuff

• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by CLee.
    Participant
      Hello – I’ve resisted going online and doing any research because frankly I’m terrified. My 49-year old wife was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in late November, 2021. She had 7 tumors – all soft tissue except for one in her lung. We are getting treatment at the University of Chicago. She received her first (only) immunotherapy treatment (Yervoy/Opdivo) on 12/14. After worrying about a lack of side effects, she was knocked on her butt about 30 days later with severe colitis that resulted in a few days in the hospital and a heavy prescription of prednisone which she is only now tapering off of.

She’s finally starting to heal from the colitis so our oncologist wanted to run another PET Scan to see how the tumors did with the 12/14 treatment. Well, she showed positive response in all of them (good) but had a new tumor in her sacrum (bad). I keep telling myself that it was because she only had the one treatment almost 3 months ago plus prednisone reduces efficacy of Opdivo. Doctor didn’t completely rule this out but prescribed her Braftovi/Mektovi because he was concerned her melanoma was resistant to immunotherapy.

Which brings me here – she took her first dose of the combo this AM. But within 4-5 hours she complained that her eyes were kind of dry and maybe a little blurry. She’s always has dry eyes, FTR. Anyway, I know vision problems are a side effect but it seems very unlikely that she’d develope a side effect with her first, partial, dose within hours. Unfortunately, I can’t find anything online with respect to when side effects usually occur – timewise.

I do trust our doctor but at the same time, it seems really early to pull the plug on immunotherapy after one round and partial response. He hasn’t discounted the possibility of revisiting immunotherapy down the road but felt Braftovi/Mektovi combo made the most sense to (hopefully) knock out the tumors in the short term.

Lastly, is TIL a possible option or has that door been closed? Our doctor mentioned it during our first consultation but now doesn’t seem to want to offer it up. I get that it’s not yet FDA approved but does that mean it’s not available anywhere?

I’m not going to lie – I’m hanging on by a thread. I was able to delude myself into thinking immunotherapy was going to work and we could have many years ahead of us. I clung to the Jimmy Carter story. Now, I feel like that’s been ripped away after a single treatment and we’re already in the ‘hail mary’ stage of the BRAF meds. A

Anyway, thank you to anyone who takes the time to respond. I’m really kind of lost right now.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Sdmotorcop
        Participant
          I have been on the Braf/Mek combo since July of last year. I started off with the full dose (6 and 6). Within 2 days my eyes became “wonky” (my term for it). My eyes became dry and blurry. I wear glasses so I kept thinking my glasses were dirty 😁. I also noticed that everything appeared dark like I was wearing sunglasses inside. These side effects lasted about 1 week. Another side effect was nausea. The nausea side effect lasted for about a month before my oncologist dropped the dose to 4 and 4. I had tumors in my lymph nodes and lungs. The tumors in my lymph nodes have all but disappeared. The lung spots haven’t shrunk, but they haven’t really increased either. I’ll take that as a win. The only other side effects is low iron and being very tired (low iron = tiredness)..
          I don’t really look at these meds as a Hail Mary. They are just another tool for the oncologist to use to get the tumors under control. I hope your wife starts to feel better. Aside from some transient nausea, I feel pretty 😊.
            maxandersonjr
            Participant
              Thank you so much for responding and I’m glad to hear you are doing well! Makes me feel a bit better. When I read vision loss was a side effect, I was a little freaked out.

I guess I shouldn’t characterize as a Hail Mary but I guess I just feel like immunotherapy offered best hope. Still wondering about TIL as I’d read that it can help those for whom immunotherapy didn’t work.

mmbraddock
            Participant
              Hi!
              I am on Braf/Mec 12 a day. I had symptoms first day. I couldn’t believe it. I had severe muscle and join pain and unable to take more than a few step by the late afternoon and had diarrhea and vomiting through out the night. My liver enzymes spiked and they took me off of treatment plan for one week. I went back on my body somehow adjusted to the meds. Only symptom I have now is fatigue in the afternoon/early evenly and mild muscle and a joint aches. My liver enzymes were normal after week back on meds so I was able to stay on the full does. I take 3 mek am and 6 braf/3 mek at night. I also take a zofran at night. I initially took the higher dose in the morning but found sleeping through the higher does worked better for me. Hope she is adjusting and it is melting the tumors away.
              We are all here b/c we are looking for some type of support. Cancer is not easy.
              Hang in there.
              MM
              Daisy2018
              Participant
                Hi there,
                It’s nice you are such a dedicated husband. It’s scary to have your loved one fighting this nasty disease.
                I was too pretty hyped up by J. Carter’s story when I started my battle with melanoma 2 years ago. With every new treatment I kept reminding myself that there is still hope and I m not suffering too much yet.
                Now with bones Mets which hurt like motherfucker I keep reminding myself that I m still around and there is still hope and it can be worse. So there is always silver lining.

Braftovi/Mektovi took time to adjust for my body. Started with vision changes which became normal after couple days. Tiredness yes. Tried not to pay attention and solder on. Overall I didn’t like how I felt on this medications but there was no other choice seem like. I would describe it being dried up to my bones this is how it felt. No amount of water could satisfy this deep down thirst…
                There was lots of changes with my monthly visitor. Something was going on with clotting I think. I was losing a lot of blood, like scary a lot. It was a version of a horror movie.

After 7 months the medication stopped working.
                Getting Ipi/nivo now and seem like some lesions are growing bigger and some lesions are getting smaller. Not really very positive news.

Your wife’s story sounds pretty hopeful. I like the treatment plan so far. Braf/Mek inhibitors will slow down the disease for now and maybe later she can go back to immunotherapy. She only has one spot now. It’s a pretty good result to one treatment.
                There are strict criteria to qualify for the trial. She needs to fail previous treatment for starters. Your wife’s doctor is not the one who decides about TIL. There is cancer.gov site where you would want look for the trial if there is open one and contact them to ask for eligibility.
                Stay strong and positive!
                Daisy…

soonerjenn14
                Participant
                  Hi there,

I am currently on Braf/Mek for the second time. My first go-round I was on the 6/6 dosage and I had the same vision problems day one – everything was blurry. Fortunately for me, it went away in a day or two. I ended up having some major issues about 2 weeks in, which we now think was due to my stopping Ipi/Nivo after 2 rounds and going straight to Brak/Mek and also having my second COVID shot around the same time. They continued to lower my dosage but I would start projective vomiting immediately after taking it so they switched me to Tafinlar/Mekinist until my surgery in June 2021, which I tolerated better but that is not the norm for most.

Fast forward to September 2021, they found 7 brain mets on my first “NED” follow up. I am back on Brak/Mef now, 2/2 per day. I can’t say for sure what side effects I had due to the meds in the beginning because I was on 16mg dexamethasone, oxycodone for headaches and also had a week of Cyber Knife radiation to my brain. I took a two week break from Braf/Mek a couple weeks ago, and after going back on it I’ve had body aches, fatigue, and occasional upset stomach. I see my radiation oncologist and medical oncologist next Friday, and hopefully, if MRI/CT scans look good maybe we can make some changes.

I don’t know if this information helps, as there are many experts who I have relied on in the forum who can provide proper statistics and better information. As others have said, stay positive and ask questions. My oncologist always tells me I am the captain of this ship, so the decisions are ultimately mine, but I value his knowledge and expertise. Try not to Google too much, it is terrifying and you have to remember no two stories are the same!

Take care and best wishes!
                  Jenn

maxandersonjr
                  Participant
                    Thanks to all of the thoughtful and informative responses. The vision thing is still there but hasn’t gotten any worse and she says it’s most just very dry eyes which make her vision slightly blurry. Nothing she can’t tolerate thus far. She was almost completely off her Prednisone for her colitis but as soon as she tapered from 5mg to zero, she was racing to the bathroom. Doctors can’t say for sure if it’s the Braf/Mek or her colitis or a little of both. She says her ‘bumps’ (we hate the word tumor) on her breasts have all but disappeared as did the one in her abdomen so it seems to be work (fingers crossed). Still not sure about the ones on her sacrum and spine since those will require a scan (7 weeks from now). In the meantime, we are going to take a vacation next week since she’s feeling pretty good all things considered.

As for her resuming immunotherapy at some point, her doctor said they’d probably stick with Opdivo but substitute Ativo (sp?) for Yervoy and hope that she has a better response. But he’d like to keep her on the Brak/Mek combo at least through this summer (if it works).

CLee
                    Participant
                      I am in the BRAFtovi/Mektovi regiment because of brain metastases that seemed to not get under control and develop after 20+ rounds of Yervoy/Opdivo and then I did 3 rounds of TVEC/Keytruda directly into small tumors in my neck and abdomen that worked but no such thing as TVEC for brain. If you are looking for a TIL doctor, my doctor does it and he’s wonderful. I have not done it myself, but we have discussed it. I had the colitis for months and continued treatment Opdivo through it with steroids, not fun, but I got through it. One day at a time
                  Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics