The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New York Times interview about my melanoma journey and my success with Ipi

Forums General Melanoma Community New York Times interview about my melanoma journey and my success with Ipi

Participant

Hi,

I responded to a survey MRF posted and was selected to be interviewed by a New York Times reporter about my experience with Ipilimumab, and he actually wanted to know about my journey with melanoma (5 years) and other treatments. I dont know how much, if any, of my "story" he will arite up in the New York Times, but just to interview was exciting! The reporter called me at home last night. He said he will send me a copy of the article when he is finished.

Hi,

I responded to a survey MRF posted and was selected to be interviewed by a New York Times reporter about my experience with Ipilimumab, and he actually wanted to know about my journey with melanoma (5 years) and other treatments. I dont know how much, if any, of my "story" he will arite up in the New York Times, but just to interview was exciting! The reporter called me at home last night. He said he will send me a copy of the article when he is finished.

I know I dont have much experience with Ipi, just having started it December 1, 2010, but I have had really good success with it. I am hoping it keep on working for me and I start my next round mid-May. 

Just wanted to let people here know.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

currently stable (NED) after 4 infusions of Ipi

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        jim Breitfeller
        Participant

Donna,

Congrats on your NED with Ipilimumab (Yervoy)

Remember us little guys when you become famous for Slaying the Beast. You derseve the credit in finding the right path for you. "Just follow the Yellow Brick Road" indecision The roadmap to Recovery.

Warm Regards,

Jimmy B

Vermont_Donna
            Participant

Hi Jimmy,

You are too funny! My journey would never have been so "miraculous" without the support of the MPIP board of wonderful people over the last 4 and 1/2 years. I did convey to the reporter how wonderful I thought the MRF site is, with the knowledge about melanoma contained on the site, the news updates, and most importantly, the bulletin board. Through MRF and the bulletin board I learned the "language" of cancer and specifically melanoma, I learned about treatments, and people's responses to them, and I have interacted with many people on the board and have become "friends" with several. The lady from MRF who spoke to me before the interview, said that people dont often remember drug names or other medical things but they DO remember a person's "STORY", and that is why, of the people who responded to the survey, they thought mine showed my many trials and tribulations and then great success (so far) with Ipi and the HOPE that I now feel that I can live at least a few more years if not many many more years!!! I do not know if other people were interviewed or not. I thought the reporter was well informed about melanoma.

Jimmy, thanks so much for ALL your support to me. I do appreciate it so much.

Hugs from Vermont,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Stable (NED) after 4 infusions of Ipi

Vermont_Donna
              Participant

Hi Jimmy,

You are too funny! My journey would never have been so "miraculous" without the support of the MPIP board of wonderful people over the last 4 and 1/2 years. I did convey to the reporter how wonderful I thought the MRF site is, with the knowledge about melanoma contained on the site, the news updates, and most importantly, the bulletin board. Through MRF and the bulletin board I learned the "language" of cancer and specifically melanoma, I learned about treatments, and people's responses to them, and I have interacted with many people on the board and have become "friends" with several. The lady from MRF who spoke to me before the interview, said that people dont often remember drug names or other medical things but they DO remember a person's "STORY", and that is why, of the people who responded to the survey, they thought mine showed my many trials and tribulations and then great success (so far) with Ipi and the HOPE that I now feel that I can live at least a few more years if not many many more years!!! I do not know if other people were interviewed or not. I thought the reporter was well informed about melanoma.

Jimmy, thanks so much for ALL your support to me. I do appreciate it so much.

Hugs from Vermont,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Stable (NED) after 4 infusions of Ipi

jim Breitfeller
              Participant

Donna,

Congrats on your NED with Ipilimumab (Yervoy)

Remember us little guys when you become famous for Slaying the Beast. You derseve the credit in finding the right path for you. "Just follow the Yellow Brick Road" indecision The roadmap to Recovery.

Warm Regards,

Jimmy B

MichaelFL
                Participant

Hi Donna,

Glad your story is being told so that others can learn from it.

Keep up the good work with the IPI, and congrats on the new grandbaby on April 11th.

My grandbaby will be one on April 9th, so let the board know when the birth is. Maybe they can even share the same day.

Michael

MichaelFL
                  Participant

Hi Donna,

Glad your story is being told so that others can learn from it.

Keep up the good work with the IPI, and congrats on the new grandbaby on April 11th.

My grandbaby will be one on April 9th, so let the board know when the birth is. Maybe they can even share the same day.

Michael

Laurie from maine
                      Participant

Hi Donna,

How exciting!! you have to let us know when it appears in the times.  You are a celebrity and for a good cause even better 🙂  – next you will be scheduling your autograph signings up there in vermont.  I am so glad the New York times has been running so many articles on melanoma – it is great to get the word out there and show the stories of those battling. 

I was thrilled to see your treatment is  working well for you, keep it up!!

let us know – hows the snow in vermont? we are almost rid of ours in my part of maine but slow process. 

laurie from maine 🙂

Laurie from maine
                        Participant

Hi Donna,

How exciting!! you have to let us know when it appears in the times.  You are a celebrity and for a good cause even better 🙂  – next you will be scheduling your autograph signings up there in vermont.  I am so glad the New York times has been running so many articles on melanoma – it is great to get the word out there and show the stories of those battling. 

I was thrilled to see your treatment is  working well for you, keep it up!!

let us know – hows the snow in vermont? we are almost rid of ours in my part of maine but slow process. 

laurie from maine 🙂

jim Breitfeller
                          Participant

Laurie,

SNOW!!!!! frown We just got another 5-8 inches yesterday in Upstate NY. A total of 127 inches for the year. I hope Spring comes soon.

Warm regards

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                            Participant

Laurie,

SNOW!!!!! frown We just got another 5-8 inches yesterday in Upstate NY. A total of 127 inches for the year. I hope Spring comes soon.

Warm regards

Jimmy B

Vermont_Donna
                              Participant

Hi Laurie,

We have lots of snow still left here where I live and the beginnings of mud season!

Happy Spring!

Vermont_Donna

Vermont_Donna
                                Participant

Hi Laurie,

We have lots of snow still left here where I live and the beginnings of mud season!

Happy Spring!

Vermont_Donna

EmilyandMike
                                Participant

Donna – I am so excited to read this.  That is so awesome.  I am still confused by how you got Ipi at Stage 3a.  My husband is 3a and he could not get into the blind adjuvant trial – which was all that was available for that stage at the time.   I dont think you are on the adjuvant trial so could you refer me to the trial that you got into?  Thanks

Emily

Vermont_Donna
                                    Participant

Hi Emily,

I was able to get into an Ipi trial for stage 3 and stage 4 patients with unresectable melanoma. My melanoma oncologist at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center was a participating doctor and DHMC is where I was enrolled. I doubt that with FDA approval ther wont be any more Ipi trials. My trial was not a blind trial. I am glad it has worked, so far. Good luck in your treatment search, or hopefully your husband can now get ipi.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

currentlly stable after 4 infusions of Ipi

EmilyandMike
                                      Participant

Donna – thanks for the explanatoin and the NY Times article was great – how exciting!  I think I was just confused that you said stage 3a and you got Ipi.  But if you had mets that were unsresectable that qualifies you for other trials. I thought Stage 3a doesnt include sattelite/intransit mets (but 3b/3c does). I just hope that people with Stage 3a will be able to get Ipi now that it is FDA approved.  It is so frusterating to be excluded from most everything.

All my best

Emily

Vermont_Donna
                                        Participant

Hi Emily,

To clarify further, I did have intransit mets, 50 to 60 of them…..all in my leg….they were not resectable because of the number of them and because I have two poorly healing wounds on my lower leg that are 10 months and 5 months old of being raw, open oozing wounds!! My leg is therefore considered "unresectable". My oncologist originally diagnosed me with stage 3a melanoma cancer and said that they would not change the stage even with all the mets, unless I went to stage 4..their attitude was why bother?? So I dont know about whether I am really stage 3b or 3c, it never really mattered much to me, and I wasnt looking for any clinical trials until they offered me this one with Ipi, and I was accepted.

Hope this helps,

Vermont_Donna 

Vermont_Donna
                                          Participant

Hi Emily,

To clarify further, I did have intransit mets, 50 to 60 of them…..all in my leg….they were not resectable because of the number of them and because I have two poorly healing wounds on my lower leg that are 10 months and 5 months old of being raw, open oozing wounds!! My leg is therefore considered "unresectable". My oncologist originally diagnosed me with stage 3a melanoma cancer and said that they would not change the stage even with all the mets, unless I went to stage 4..their attitude was why bother?? So I dont know about whether I am really stage 3b or 3c, it never really mattered much to me, and I wasnt looking for any clinical trials until they offered me this one with Ipi, and I was accepted.

Hope this helps,

Vermont_Donna 

EmilyandMike
                                            Participant

Donna – thanks for the explanatoin and the NY Times article was great – how exciting!  I think I was just confused that you said stage 3a and you got Ipi.  But if you had mets that were unsresectable that qualifies you for other trials. I thought Stage 3a doesnt include sattelite/intransit mets (but 3b/3c does). I just hope that people with Stage 3a will be able to get Ipi now that it is FDA approved.  It is so frusterating to be excluded from most everything.

All my best

Emily

Vermont_Donna
                                              Participant

Hi Emily,

I was able to get into an Ipi trial for stage 3 and stage 4 patients with unresectable melanoma. My melanoma oncologist at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center was a participating doctor and DHMC is where I was enrolled. I doubt that with FDA approval ther wont be any more Ipi trials. My trial was not a blind trial. I am glad it has worked, so far. Good luck in your treatment search, or hopefully your husband can now get ipi.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

currentlly stable after 4 infusions of Ipi

EmilyandMike
                                              Participant

Donna – I am so excited to read this.  That is so awesome.  I am still confused by how you got Ipi at Stage 3a.  My husband is 3a and he could not get into the blind adjuvant trial – which was all that was available for that stage at the time.   I dont think you are on the adjuvant trial so could you refer me to the trial that you got into?  Thanks

Emily

ValinMtl
                                                Participant

Good news and an excellent candidate….after all the trials and tribulations you went through!!  Wow…New York Times came calling….let me know when the article is posted so I dash out and buy one (live next to the border)…finally back from Florida where I had limited access to a computer (and laptops and I just don't really like each other, give me my old stand alone.)  I'm posting now about my second round started yesterday.  Val

ValinMtl
                                                  Participant

Good news and an excellent candidate….after all the trials and tribulations you went through!!  Wow…New York Times came calling….let me know when the article is posted so I dash out and buy one (live next to the border)…finally back from Florida where I had limited access to a computer (and laptops and I just don't really like each other, give me my old stand alone.)  I'm posting now about my second round started yesterday.  Val

Sharyn
                                                    Participant

Hi Donna,

New York Times!!?? Impressive!! I thought I was a big deal when I was interviewed for the local newspaper in Bethlehem, PA, but you've certainly topped me with an article in the NYT. I'm thrilled for you! Not just for the noteriety, but for all your success with ipi too. Keep it up!

Hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

Sharyn
                                                      Participant

Hi Donna,

New York Times!!?? Impressive!! I thought I was a big deal when I was interviewed for the local newspaper in Bethlehem, PA, but you've certainly topped me with an article in the NYT. I'm thrilled for you! Not just for the noteriety, but for all your success with ipi too. Keep it up!

Hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

CKasper
                                                        Participant

donna,

I was on this page in 2006 and I remember you.  I haven't been on in 4 years.  I remember you managed to do the year of Interferon Therapy….I could only get through a 5 days as it really messed with my brain.  My infusions were given to me at home by a visiting nurse….so after 5 infusions my family decided to take me to the Emergency Dept and the flushed the stuff out of me.  Because of the severity of side effect from INF, I was ruled out of any other type of immuno therapy.  and Since then I have nothing but autoimmune problems.  No active disease but a host of other conditions some life threatening.

I'm glad to see you are still here and I hope your new treatment with stop the beast.

C

CKasper
                                                          Participant

donna,

I was on this page in 2006 and I remember you.  I haven't been on in 4 years.  I remember you managed to do the year of Interferon Therapy….I could only get through a 5 days as it really messed with my brain.  My infusions were given to me at home by a visiting nurse….so after 5 infusions my family decided to take me to the Emergency Dept and the flushed the stuff out of me.  Because of the severity of side effect from INF, I was ruled out of any other type of immuno therapy.  and Since then I have nothing but autoimmune problems.  No active disease but a host of other conditions some life threatening.

I'm glad to see you are still here and I hope your new treatment with stop the beast.

C

Vermont_Donna
                                                              Participant

Hi,

Thanks for posting a hello……I am sorry that you have had such a bad time with severe side effects……be well…

Vermont_Donna

Vermont_Donna
                                                                Participant

Hi,

Thanks for posting a hello……I am sorry that you have had such a bad time with severe side effects……be well…

Vermont_Donna

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics