The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New update

Forums General Melanoma Community New update

Participant

Tamlin –  (3/29/2016 – 8:43am)

New update: consultant called today to say that although nothing else seen near enlarged lymph node which is a good sign, he has referred me to have lymph node removed and tested for melanoma. I'm starting to get a bit scared now. To meet consultant next Tuesday so he can go over the operation with me. Does anyone know if it's safe to fly after this operation as I'm due to go on holiday in May? How long were you in hospital and how long for recovery? 

Thanks 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I suspect this will be same day surgery – at most 1 night but I doubt that – may depend on surgeon and facility.  I know some have had this as an office procedure under a local – maybe not ideal but doable.  Removing a single node should not cause lymphedema or any other issues other than a small incision.  Could possibly have a seroma (fluid filled cyst) after removal but again, uncommon for just 1 node removal.  I can't imagine that this simple surgery would impact a May vacation.

Janner
          Participant

I suspect this will be same day surgery – at most 1 night but I doubt that – may depend on surgeon and facility.  I know some have had this as an office procedure under a local – maybe not ideal but doable.  Removing a single node should not cause lymphedema or any other issues other than a small incision.  Could possibly have a seroma (fluid filled cyst) after removal but again, uncommon for just 1 node removal.  I can't imagine that this simple surgery would impact a May vacation.

Janner
            Participant

JuTMSY4
              Participant

Hi,

Yes, this surgery is not terribly difficult.  Small incision, about 1 inch, to remove the note (depending on where it is).  That is what might the surgery easier or more difficult, if the node is located in a harder-to-get-to position.  

As to flying, I suspect yes, but just ask your surgeon.  

Recovery was pretty easy in my experience, but it always depends on the person.  I suspect most folks would shoot for a Thursday or Friday, take the whole weekend to recuperate and be ready by monday. YMMV.  

And yes, generally, 1 node increases your lymphedema risk very very slightly, but again, YMMV and is very person specific.  Good health and normal body weight are good positive indicators of avoiding lymphedema if at all.  

JuTMSY4
                Participant

Hi,

Yes, this surgery is not terribly difficult.  Small incision, about 1 inch, to remove the note (depending on where it is).  That is what might the surgery easier or more difficult, if the node is located in a harder-to-get-to position.  

Recovery was pretty easy in my experience, but it always depends on the person.  I suspect most folks would shoot for a Thursday or Friday, take the whole weekend to recuperate and be ready by monday. YMMV.  

And yes, generally, 1 node increases your lymphedema risk very very slightly, but again, YMMV and is very person specific.  Good health and normal body weight are good positive indicators of avoiding lymphedema if at all.  

JuTMSY4
                  Participant

Hi,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics