The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New treatments. Reached a plateau?

Forums General Melanoma Community New treatments. Reached a plateau?

Participant
      • When I was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma in April 2019, my oncologist made great play of the fact that if surgery was unsuccessful, checkpoint inhibition was a wonderful resource which had transformed the treatment of the disease. No argument there.
        20 months later, I view the landscape differently. Firstly, there has been a degree of ‘smoke and mirrors’ in terms of efficacy. Surrogate markers used to extrapolate the most important yardstick, Overall Survival OS) have been misleading and a stubborn 60 a 65% of patients derive limited or no benefit.

Secondly, aside from Relatlimab (anti LAG 3),  most new checkpoint inhibition targets have shown disappointing results.

Lack of predictive bio markers for advanced treatment options is another area of under achievement.

My basic question is where’s the new thinking? In an age where  we are told that A.I. has started to make significant inroads into curative medicine, where and how can melanoma treatment benefit?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant
          Tim, consider checkmate -037 early 2002-3 time line of Ipi and the development took years to go through process before given to humans. Early 2011 approved after 8 years of clinical trials. Nivo (Opdivo) development approved 2015 also took years from mice to humans to approval. lag-3 (Relatlimab) now at FDA also took years to go through process. TIL’s process with Lifucels LN-144 also years in development and is now at the FDA. now I don’t want to get into the weeds to much but there are hundreds of fails that don’t get the press except maybe IDO inhibitors combined with Pembro, because they jumped way to fast to stage 3 and blew up as a major failure and cautionary tale to big pharma!  here is a good read from Jedd Wolchok of Memorial Sloan Kettering written in 2013 to put thing in perspective. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3910157/
            ed williams
            Participant
              Tim, 2011 is when I got into this crazy melanoma world and I think the progress has been amazing. I was reading Facebook posts back then from families doing just about anything and everything to try and get access to a then lettered drug with no name that eventually would be called Nivolumab, then once approved Opdivo. save Locky’s dad comes to mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qznB5n0F1JA
            tim brown
            Participant
              Hi Ed,
              I’m not in disagreement about any of this – perhaps it’s because I appear to be in the 60+% immune checkpoint failure group that I think the thrust of my question is a valid one for open debate. (Add on the almost complete lack of progress for those 15-20% who are saddled with the NRAS mutation.)
              Best,
              Tim
          Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics