The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New to here & melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community New to here & melanoma

Participant

My husband was diagnosed in Dec 2010 with a melanoma on his back. Has since been removed along with the sentinal nodes in his armpits. (they were clear).  I am very confused about his diagnosis & was hoping maybe you could answer some questions  for me. Initial pathology report was very brief, 0.42 Breslow depth,  clarks level lll, 1.6 x 1.1 cm with ulceration. We can't seem to get an answer on what stage this is or if we should be concerrned at all. The drs feel there should be no re-occurance.

My husband was diagnosed in Dec 2010 with a melanoma on his back. Has since been removed along with the sentinal nodes in his armpits. (they were clear).  I am very confused about his diagnosis & was hoping maybe you could answer some questions  for me. Initial pathology report was very brief, 0.42 Breslow depth,  clarks level lll, 1.6 x 1.1 cm with ulceration. We can't seem to get an answer on what stage this is or if we should be concerrned at all. The drs feel there should be no re-occurance. I am beside myself with worry it will show up elsewhere. The oncologist did tell him a few things to watch for but I feel this isn't enough. Am I just a worry wort?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        georgecostanza
        Participant

Hello:

Better to be somewhat worried than blissfully ignorant.  I'm no expert, but I believe if there is no lymph node involvement it would be classified as stage II.   You may want to read up on the effectiveness of sentinal lymph node biopsy, it seems to be somewhat controversial whether it tells the full story.  You are right to be on guard.

lindas58
            Participant

Thank- you so much for the reply. Its so much to absorb. I always thought of melanoma as a simple skin cancer, boy have I learned otherwise by reading these posts.  I am not sure if we are seeing the right drs either. The surgery was performed by a surgeon who specializes in breast cancer surgery & the dermatologist is a physician assistant. His surgery was Jan 5th. They tell us "no worries." Scares the hell out of me!

lindas58
              Participant

Thank- you so much for the reply. Its so much to absorb. I always thought of melanoma as a simple skin cancer, boy have I learned otherwise by reading these posts.  I am not sure if we are seeing the right drs either. The surgery was performed by a surgeon who specializes in breast cancer surgery & the dermatologist is a physician assistant. His surgery was Jan 5th. They tell us "no worries." Scares the hell out of me!

georgecostanza
              Participant

Hello:

Better to be somewhat worried than blissfully ignorant.  I'm no expert, but I believe if there is no lymph node involvement it would be classified as stage II.   You may want to read up on the effectiveness of sentinal lymph node biopsy, it seems to be somewhat controversial whether it tells the full story.  You are right to be on guard.

washoegal
                Participant

Hi!  actually, it's may be better news than previously stated:  read below

Stage IB The tumor is either less than 1 millimeter thick and ulcerated, or 1–2 millimeters thick and not ulcerated.  It has not spread to any lymph nodes or other organs.

This came from this web site under "about melanoma".  You have every reason to be optimistic.  However it is always a good idea to have regular check ups (every 6 months or so) with a derm. after you have had any kind of skin cancer.  But for now, you should be happy you caught this thing early and celebrate.  From now on, check-ups and sun-block but you should be on with your life…Ya-hoo!

Good Luck

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                  Participant

Hi!  actually, it's may be better news than previously stated:  read below

Stage IB The tumor is either less than 1 millimeter thick and ulcerated, or 1–2 millimeters thick and not ulcerated.  It has not spread to any lymph nodes or other organs.

This came from this web site under "about melanoma".  You have every reason to be optimistic.  However it is always a good idea to have regular check ups (every 6 months or so) with a derm. after you have had any kind of skin cancer.  But for now, you should be happy you caught this thing early and celebrate.  From now on, check-ups and sun-block but you should be on with your life…Ya-hoo!

Good Luck

Mary

Stage 3

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics