The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New to here & melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community New to here & melanoma

Participant

My husband was diagnosed in Dec 2010 with a melanoma on his back. Has since been removed along with the sentinal nodes in his armpits. (they were clear).  I am very confused about his diagnosis & was hoping maybe you could answer some questions  for me. Initial pathology report was very brief, 0.42 Breslow depth,  clarks level lll, 1.6 x 1.1 cm with ulceration. We can't seem to get an answer on what stage this is or if we should be concerrned at all. The drs feel there should be no re-occurance.

My husband was diagnosed in Dec 2010 with a melanoma on his back. Has since been removed along with the sentinal nodes in his armpits. (they were clear).  I am very confused about his diagnosis & was hoping maybe you could answer some questions  for me. Initial pathology report was very brief, 0.42 Breslow depth,  clarks level lll, 1.6 x 1.1 cm with ulceration. We can't seem to get an answer on what stage this is or if we should be concerrned at all. The drs feel there should be no re-occurance. I am beside myself with worry it will show up elsewhere. The oncologist did tell him a few things to watch for but I feel this isn't enough. Am I just a worry wort?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I believe your husband would be stage IB.  In general, once you have the wide excision, there is no additional treatment other than periodic skin checks.  Should you be concerned?  Yes.  Any cancer diagnosis comes with risk.  However, stage IB has less risk than a more advanced stage.  In general, a 0.42 lesion is considered very low risk but the ulceration component increases the risk a little.  However, there really are no treatments for this stage and no scans are warranted.  Watch his skin for anything new and different.  Watch the scar area for pigment regrowth.  Monitor the lymph node basins for any swelling (have his doctor show him how to do this).  The first year is the toughest – learning mentally  to deal with a cancer diagnosis.  But in general, his risk is low and his lesion quite small.  All this gets easier with time. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Stage IB since 1992, 3 MM primaries

lindas58
            Participant

Thank-you so much for your input Janner.  My usband has had some trouble with his lymph nodes swelling up. He goes back to the surgeon in a couple of weeks for follow up care & will ask about it.  I have read alot of the stories here & it amazes me the strength everyone seems to have. I applaud all of you.

lindas58
              Participant

Thank-you so much for your input Janner.  My usband has had some trouble with his lymph nodes swelling up. He goes back to the surgeon in a couple of weeks for follow up care & will ask about it.  I have read alot of the stories here & it amazes me the strength everyone seems to have. I applaud all of you.

Janner
              Participant

I believe your husband would be stage IB.  In general, once you have the wide excision, there is no additional treatment other than periodic skin checks.  Should you be concerned?  Yes.  Any cancer diagnosis comes with risk.  However, stage IB has less risk than a more advanced stage.  In general, a 0.42 lesion is considered very low risk but the ulceration component increases the risk a little.  However, there really are no treatments for this stage and no scans are warranted.  Watch his skin for anything new and different.  Watch the scar area for pigment regrowth.  Monitor the lymph node basins for any swelling (have his doctor show him how to do this).  The first year is the toughest – learning mentally  to deal with a cancer diagnosis.  But in general, his risk is low and his lesion quite small.  All this gets easier with time. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Stage IB since 1992, 3 MM primaries

MichaelFL
                Participant

Hi, and welcome to the forum no one wants to be a member of by choice.

As Jan stated, it seems your husband is stage 1b.

I read your profile and it mentions swollen lymph nodes there as well, so I am guessing that they were swollen as a result of the SNB/WLE surgeries and not before? At any rate, sometimes when a SNB is performed the drainage path of the lymph nodes is affected.

I was also wondering why a SNB was performed at a depth of .42 mm Breslow? What did the doctors have to say concerning why it was done? Was there some additional circumstance to performing the SNB as they are usually not considered unless the lesion is .75 mm Breslow if ulcerated and 1.0 mm if not ulcerated.

At any rate, stage 1b is considered a low risk lesion.

Michael-stage 1b as well

lindas58
                    Participant

Thanks for the info! My husband had a nuclear test done the morning of surgery & it showed activity between the 2 nodes & the melanoma so they were removed as a precaution, they were clear. Yes since removal the nodes have swollen & we do believe it is because of fluid build up.

I am just so confused about melanoma, it just happened so quickly. 

MichaelFL
                      Participant

Thanks for clarifying concerning the SNB and the nodes.

I am glad the nodes are clear, and congratulations for catching this as early as you did!

Michael

MichaelFL
                        Participant

Thanks for clarifying concerning the SNB and the nodes.

I am glad the nodes are clear, and congratulations for catching this as early as you did!

Michael

lindas58
                          Participant

Thanks for the info! My husband had a nuclear test done the morning of surgery & it showed activity between the 2 nodes & the melanoma so they were removed as a precaution, they were clear. Yes since removal the nodes have swollen & we do believe it is because of fluid build up.

I am just so confused about melanoma, it just happened so quickly. 

MichaelFL
                          Participant

Hi, and welcome to the forum no one wants to be a member of by choice.

As Jan stated, it seems your husband is stage 1b.

I read your profile and it mentions swollen lymph nodes there as well, so I am guessing that they were swollen as a result of the SNB/WLE surgeries and not before? At any rate, sometimes when a SNB is performed the drainage path of the lymph nodes is affected.

I was also wondering why a SNB was performed at a depth of .42 mm Breslow? What did the doctors have to say concerning why it was done? Was there some additional circumstance to performing the SNB as they are usually not considered unless the lesion is .75 mm Breslow if ulcerated and 1.0 mm if not ulcerated.

At any rate, stage 1b is considered a low risk lesion.

Michael-stage 1b as well

Viewing 3 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics