The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New to boards-stage3 trial

Forums General Melanoma Community New to boards-stage3 trial

Participant
      I was dx with melanoma in 2007 when a mole was removed from the back of my neck stage unknown. In 6/2012 was dx as stage 3 when a swollen lymph node was removed and a lymph node dissection was also done to remove 12 other nodes which were all negative. I am being seen at Moffitt in Tampa while finishing up 20 treatments of radiation locally. My next step is the interferon/ipilimumab clinical trial at Moffitt in August. Anyone out there going to Moffitt or used either drug to tell their experiences???

I was dx with melanoma in 2007 when a mole was removed from the back of my neck stage unknown. In 6/2012 was dx as stage 3 when a swollen lymph node was removed and a lymph node dissection was also done to remove 12 other nodes which were all negative. I am being seen at Moffitt in Tampa while finishing up 20 treatments of radiation locally. My next step is the interferon/ipilimumab clinical trial at Moffitt in August. Anyone out there going to Moffitt or used either drug to tell their experiences??? I’m really worried about the side effects since I will be going back to work as a school teacher in August when I start my trial.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

My husband was a successful Ipi responder on a clinical and just had scans last Friday and is now NED (no evidence of disease).  You can read about him in his profile.

Judy (loving wife of Gene)

Nell
            Participant

Welcome to the board!!  I have just recently joined as well.  I wish I could answer your questions, but I need the same answers. I am being considered for the same study.  I do want to ask you about radiation.  I am considering it, even though my oncologist has said that it is not very effective with melanoma.  I am stage III like you, with a story that sounds similar to yours….Can you enlighten me about your experience with radiation, and the opinion of it given by your oncologist?Thanks so much.

KMT2003
              Participant
                Well I am going to Moffitt Cancer Research Center in Tampa and they never even questioned radiation. They actually recommend it for me. I chose to do the radication closer to home since I would be doing it every day so they referred me to radiation oncologist here. He didn’t question it either so I am now confused by what yours told you. I have to have 20 (5 days a week for 4 weeks) treatments. Today was number 15. My next has the sunburned look but not painful. After the second week I started to get a sore throat. I could only eat soft foods for a few days until they prescribed me “Ron’s Rum”. I have used it some but not very much. I actually feel pretty good besides the throat being sore. Better yet I only have 4 treatments left!!! Hope it helps and good luck,
                KMT2003
                Participant
                  Well I am going to Moffitt Cancer Research Center in Tampa and they never even questioned radiation. They actually recommend it for me. I chose to do the radication closer to home since I would be doing it every day so they referred me to radiation oncologist here. He didn’t question it either so I am now confused by what yours told you. I have to have 20 (5 days a week for 4 weeks) treatments. Today was number 15. My next has the sunburned look but not painful. After the second week I started to get a sore throat. I could only eat soft foods for a few days until they prescribed me “Ron’s Rum”. I have used it some but not very much. I actually feel pretty good besides the throat being sore. Better yet I only have 4 treatments left!!! Hope it helps and good luck,
                  KMT2003
                  Participant
                    Nell
                    Participant

Welcome to the board!!  I have just recently joined as well.  I wish I could answer your questions, but I need the same answers. I am being considered for the same study.  I do want to ask you about radiation.  I am considering it, even though my oncologist has said that it is not very effective with melanoma.  I am stage III like you, with a story that sounds similar to yours….Can you enlighten me about your experience with radiation, and the opinion of it given by your oncologist?Thanks so much.

Nell
                      Participant

KMT2003
                        Participant
                          Congrats on your husband being NED!!! I’ll check his story out. Thanks!
                          KMT2003
                          Participant
                            KMT2003
                            Participant
                              Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. Trying to figure these boards out since new. This was meant for Judy’s comment.
                              KMT2003
                              Participant
                                Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. Trying to figure these boards out since new. This was meant for Judy’s comment.
                                KMT2003
                                Participant
                                  KMT2003
                                  Participant
                                  Gene_S
                                  Participant

My husband was a successful Ipi responder on a clinical and just had scans last Friday and is now NED (no evidence of disease).  You can read about him in his profile.

Gene_S
                                    Participant

JC
                                      Participant

Why was the initial stage unknown?  Was there a pathology report that staged it?

JC
                                        Participant

Why was the initial stage unknown?  Was there a pathology report that staged it?

KMT2003
                                            Participant
                                              I put unknown because I wasn’t ever told a stage by doctors then. I was also told be a second doctor that my chances were less than 10% for it coming back. I didn’t know much about melanoma then either and I guess was clueless…until this time.
                                              Here is what my pathology report said back in 2007:
                                              Malignant Melanoma
                                              Breslow depth 1.2 mm
                                              Clark’s level III-IV
                                              No regression
                                              No lymphovascular invasion
                                              Mitotic index: low
                                              MART-1 ans s-100 positive

I am still not an expert on how to read this. I was thinking stage 1 but not for sure. Any ideas??

KMT2003
                                              Participant
                                                I put unknown because I wasn’t ever told a stage by doctors then. I was also told be a second doctor that my chances were less than 10% for it coming back. I didn’t know much about melanoma then either and I guess was clueless…until this time.
                                                Malignant Melanoma
                                                Breslow depth 1.2 mm
                                                Clark’s level III-IV
                                                No regression

I am still not an expert on how to read this. I was thinking stage 1 but not for sure. Any ideas??

KMT2003
                                                Participant
                                                  Malignant Melanoma
                                                  Breslow depth 1.2 mm
                                                  Clark’s level III-IV
                                                  No regression

JC
                                                Participant

triciad
                                                  Participant

Hi,

I hear Moffitt is a great place to be!  I did 30 radiation treatments last summer…no problem.  I also did interferon back in 2009.  I finished the full year…rough, but doable.  Everyone reacts differently to it.  I teach first grade and didn't miss a day during treatment, so I was very lucky.  Ipi worries me because a lot of people have stomach issues with it, and being a teacher, you have to think of will you have access to a bathroom at a moment's notice?  Good luck to you with whatever treatment you choose.  Please feel free to email me if you have any other questions.

Tricia

triciad
                                                    Participant

Hi,

I hear Moffitt is a great place to be!  I did 30 radiation treatments last summer…no problem.  I also did interferon back in 2009.  I finished the full year…rough, but doable.  Everyone reacts differently to it.  I teach first grade and didn't miss a day during treatment, so I was very lucky.  Ipi worries me because a lot of people have stomach issues with it, and being a teacher, you have to think of will you have access to a bathroom at a moment's notice?  Good luck to you with whatever treatment you choose.  Please feel free to email me if you have any other questions.

Tricia

KMT2003
                                                        Participant
                                                          Tricia,
                                                          How may I ask, do you manage to do the interferon and not miss a day of school? Did you do the first month during the summer or school year? I teach kindergarten so I have a bathroom right in my classroom but I guess I never really thought about the stomach issue like that until now. I am just really nervous how either drug will work with school…
                                                          KMT2003
                                                          Participant
                                                            Tricia,
                                                            How may I ask, do you manage to do the interferon and not miss a day of school? Did you do the first month during the summer or school year? I teach kindergarten so I have a bathroom right in my classroom but I guess I never really thought about the stomach issue like that until now. I am just really nervous how either drug will work with school…
                                                            KMT2003
                                                            Participant
                                                              Tricia,
                                                            triciad
                                                            Participant

Hi,

Tricia

King
                                                              Participant

Hi,

I have been a patient at Moffitt since 2005 when the melanoma spread to my liver.  My medical oncologist there is Dr. Jeff Weber.  I have heard very good things about your oncologist…Dr. Kudchadkar.

I did Interferon in 2004-2005 when I was first diagnosed with Stage III melanoma with an unknown primary site.  The melanoma was in my groin lymph node basin.  I did the 12 months of Interferon.  I was a RN and working full time when I was diagnosed.  I took a medical LOA to have the lymph node dissection and then for the month of high dose Interferon.  I had to keep extending my leave since there was no way I could work a 12 hour shift and take care of people.  Interferon makes most people very tired and gives most people "brain fog".  Of course, there can be many other side effects.  Everyone responds differently but I can't imagine working, being a mother to 2 small children and doing Interferon (plus the drive time to Moffitt).  I think getting lots of rest is very important when receiving treatment.

I'm not familiar with the trial but I just tried to quickly research it.  Is it that you will be in either the Interferon arm or the Ipi arm?  If that is correct and you are in the Interferon arm, is it for the high dose month only or is it longer?  Amy from Michigan (I think her sign on is akls) is a teacher and did Interferon a couple of years ago.  Hopefully, she'll see your post and respond.

There is a man named JimM who goes to Moffitt and also is a member of this board.  He also lives in your hometown.  He was on the Ipi trial at Moffitt a couple of years ago as a Stage III patient.  I'm sure he'd be happy to share his experience with you.  He's a social worker.  If he does not respond and you are interested in contacting him (or him contacting you) I would be happy to arrange that.

I'm guessing here but I think radiation might have been part of your treatment plan since your lymph node/tumor had extra capsular extension.

We're here for you.  Please feel free to contact me ([email protected])

Stay Strong

King (Kathie)

Stage IV  7/05  Liver mets

KMT2003
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Thanks Kathie for replying. Yes you found the right trial interferon arm or ipi arm. If I get the interferon arm it will be the high dose for a month everyday and injections at home 3x a week. It is hard to think about how this will all work with school. It makes me very nervous indeed. I did find the one teachers profile you mentioned so I’ll contact her. However, I didn’t find JimM so any help you can give me there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. I love this board and how everyone can be so caring and helpful through the tough times!!
                                                                    King
                                                                    Participant

I just dropped JimM an email.  If I don't hear from him in a day or two, I will give him a call.  I know that he will be happy to talk to you.  When will you know what arm of the trial you'll be in?  I want to stay positive but also realistic.  If you get in the Interferon arm and will be receiving the high dose treatments at Moffitt, how could you possibly commute, get the infusions and teach?  That's not even considering any side effects.  I wasn't being treated at Moffitt when I received Interferon but I received the standard dose based on my BSA (body surface area).  I, too, did the 11 months of low dose after the high dose month (BootCamp).  I did drive while I did Interferon but some people have said their doctors told them not to drive.

Do you have family and friend support?  This will be a time that you wil have to accept it.

One day at a time.

Stay Strong

King

King
                                                                      Participant

I just dropped JimM an email.  If I don't hear from him in a day or two, I will give him a call.  I know that he will be happy to talk to you.  When will you know what arm of the trial you'll be in?  I want to stay positive but also realistic.  If you get in the Interferon arm and will be receiving the high dose treatments at Moffitt, how could you possibly commute, get the infusions and teach?  That's not even considering any side effects.  I wasn't being treated at Moffitt when I received Interferon but I received the standard dose based on my BSA (body surface area).  I, too, did the 11 months of low dose after the high dose month (BootCamp).  I did drive while I did Interferon but some people have said their doctors told them not to drive.

Do you have family and friend support?  This will be a time that you wil have to accept it.

One day at a time.

Stay Strong

King

King
                                                                        Participant

One day at a time.

Stay Strong

King

KMT2003
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            Thanks Kathie for replying. Yes you found the right trial interferon arm or ipi arm. If I get the interferon arm it will be the high dose for a month everyday and injections at home 3x a week. It is hard to think about how this will all work with school. It makes me very nervous indeed. I did find the one teachers profile you mentioned so I’ll contact her. However, I didn’t find JimM so any help you can give me there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. I love this board and how everyone can be so caring and helpful through the tough times!!
                                                                            KMT2003
                                                                            Participant
                                                                            King
                                                                            Participant

Hi,

I have been a patient at Moffitt since 2005 when the melanoma spread to my liver.  My medical oncologist there is Dr. Jeff Weber.  I have heard very good things about your oncologist…Dr. Kudchadkar.

I did Interferon in 2004-2005 when I was first diagnosed with Stage III melanoma with an unknown primary site.  The melanoma was in my groin lymph node basin.  I did the 12 months of Interferon.  I was a RN and working full time when I was diagnosed.  I took a medical LOA to have the lymph node dissection and then for the month of high dose Interferon.  I had to keep extending my leave since there was no way I could work a 12 hour shift and take care of people.  Interferon makes most people very tired and gives most people "brain fog".  Of course, there can be many other side effects.  Everyone responds differently but I can't imagine working, being a mother to 2 small children and doing Interferon (plus the drive time to Moffitt).  I think getting lots of rest is very important when receiving treatment.

I'm not familiar with the trial but I just tried to quickly research it.  Is it that you will be in either the Interferon arm or the Ipi arm?  If that is correct and you are in the Interferon arm, is it for the high dose month only or is it longer?  Amy from Michigan (I think her sign on is akls) is a teacher and did Interferon a couple of years ago.  Hopefully, she'll see your post and respond.

There is a man named JimM who goes to Moffitt and also is a member of this board.  He also lives in your hometown.  He was on the Ipi trial at Moffitt a couple of years ago as a Stage III patient.  I'm sure he'd be happy to share his experience with you.  He's a social worker.  If he does not respond and you are interested in contacting him (or him contacting you) I would be happy to arrange that.

I'm guessing here but I think radiation might have been part of your treatment plan since your lymph node/tumor had extra capsular extension.

Stay Strong

King (Kathie)

King
                                                                              Participant

Hi,

Stay Strong

King (Kathie)

fdess056
                                                                                Participant

I had a radical neck dissection in 2009 followed by radiation and Interferon.  I was also told that melanoma is resistant to radiation but has been known to respond to higher doses.  i received 5 treatments of 600 rad (I think triple normal dose) over a 2 1/2 week period.  No major problems with it.  That was followed by 7 months of interferon.  I was forced to drop out before completing the 12 month treatment due to some neurological side effects. I am a runner and was able to run 7 miles before the interferon.  After a short time i was not able to walk up 2 flights of stairs without rest.  .  That being said, I did travel on a cruise vacation while on the self-maintenance.  Once i stopped it took about 6 weeks to get back to normal.  Everyone seems to handle and respond to Interferon differently.  .  I remained NED for 20 months after the treatments, so for me it was worth it. However, I don't know if i would have also remained NED without the radiation and Interferon..  I was also on Ipilmumab and was able to handle that much better….just a fair amount of fatigue.   After Ippi my lung mets have been reduced by 65%, brain and bone mets remain stable.  But a PET scan just showed a new melanoma in my stomach, so whether or not the Ipi worked is still up in the air.

best of luck with you treatments

Frankd brooklyn

fdess056
                                                                                  Participant

I had a radical neck dissection in 2009 followed by radiation and Interferon.  I was also told that melanoma is resistant to radiation but has been known to respond to higher doses.  i received 5 treatments of 600 rad (I think triple normal dose) over a 2 1/2 week period.  No major problems with it.  That was followed by 7 months of interferon.  I was forced to drop out before completing the 12 month treatment due to some neurological side effects. I am a runner and was able to run 7 miles before the interferon.  After a short time i was not able to walk up 2 flights of stairs without rest.  .  That being said, I did travel on a cruise vacation while on the self-maintenance.  Once i stopped it took about 6 weeks to get back to normal.  Everyone seems to handle and respond to Interferon differently.  .  I remained NED for 20 months after the treatments, so for me it was worth it. However, I don't know if i would have also remained NED without the radiation and Interferon..  I was also on Ipilmumab and was able to handle that much better….just a fair amount of fatigue.   After Ippi my lung mets have been reduced by 65%, brain and bone mets remain stable.  But a PET scan just showed a new melanoma in my stomach, so whether or not the Ipi worked is still up in the air.

Frankd brooklyn

fdess056
                                                                                    Participant

Frankd brooklyn

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics