The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Stage IV diagnosis questions

Forums General Melanoma Community New Stage IV diagnosis questions

Participant

I recently had an ovarian mass removed and turns out it is melanoma (had a stage I in 2006).  My question is that at this point there is no other evidence of metasteses.  Has anyone else ever had this before?  I did find out that I also have papillary thyroid cancer (when it rains, it pours!) so we are moving forward on treatment for that but nothing but watch and wait on the melanoma.  I am feeling very confused since my expectation was that I would be talking melanoma treatment.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        kpcollins31
        Participant

Sorry to hear about the recurrence. Melanoma can follow a "typical" path as in my case… primary (stage 1 or 2), then spread to lymph nodes (stage 3), and then spread to some other distant location (stage 4). But it can also follow other paths… some people have no primary and then find themselves at stage 4.  

In your case, it sounds like they were able to surgically remove the melanoma tumor and you are considered Stage 4 "No Evidence of Disease" (NED) for the melanoma. This is where I am today after a recent surgery. I recently posted a question on treatment options because I am also not currently pursuing any treatment. My plan is to be vigilant with the 3 month scans and maintain good awareness of any changes in my body. When you are NED, the treatment options are fairly limited. Surgery tends to be the best approach to deal with melanoma.  

Kevin

evleye
            Participant

Thank you for our reply.  I find that a lot of posts concern treatments but I felt alone when told I am getting no treatment.  

evleye
              Participant

Thank you for our reply.  I find that a lot of posts concern treatments but I felt alone when told I am getting no treatment.  

evleye
                Participant

kpcollins31
                Participant

Sorry to hear about the recurrence. Melanoma can follow a "typical" path as in my case… primary (stage 1 or 2), then spread to lymph nodes (stage 3), and then spread to some other distant location (stage 4). But it can also follow other paths… some people have no primary and then find themselves at stage 4.  

In your case, it sounds like they were able to surgically remove the melanoma tumor and you are considered Stage 4 "No Evidence of Disease" (NED) for the melanoma. This is where I am today after a recent surgery. I recently posted a question on treatment options because I am also not currently pursuing any treatment. My plan is to be vigilant with the 3 month scans and maintain good awareness of any changes in my body. When you are NED, the treatment options are fairly limited. Surgery tends to be the best approach to deal with melanoma.  

Kevin

kpcollins31
                  Participant

Kevin

JoshF
                    Participant

Sorry to hear!!! I was diagnosed in 2011…had WLE, SNLB with clear margins and clean lymph nodes. Sent on way and maintain aggressive follow up scans etc… In Sept 2013 feel small bump in scar…onc thought local recurrence but does PET to be certain…metastasis to lungs…find nothing nowhere else. Between surgical onc at Northwestern Memorial and my medical onc at Lutheran General…they agree to do systemic treatment as best option. I was and still confused as to why not surgery on lung. Only had surgery on cheek. Started treatment in Oct…now NED. So melanom is just tricky…I still don't get it. So though you're case isn't "typical"… There are a bunch of us "odd balls" out there.

Wishing you the best!!!

Josh 

evleye
                        Participant

Thanks for your words and sorry you are left a bit confused too.  Being an "oddball" is proving frustrating!

evleye
                          Participant

Thanks for your words and sorry you are left a bit confused too.  Being an "oddball" is proving frustrating!

evleye
                            Participant

JoshF
                            Participant

Sorry to hear!!! I was diagnosed in 2011…had WLE, SNLB with clear margins and clean lymph nodes. Sent on way and maintain aggressive follow up scans etc… In Sept 2013 feel small bump in scar…onc thought local recurrence but does PET to be certain…metastasis to lungs…find nothing nowhere else. Between surgical onc at Northwestern Memorial and my medical onc at Lutheran General…they agree to do systemic treatment as best option. I was and still confused as to why not surgery on lung. Only had surgery on cheek. Started treatment in Oct…now NED. So melanom is just tricky…I still don't get it. So though you're case isn't "typical"… There are a bunch of us "odd balls" out there.

Wishing you the best!!!

Josh 

JoshF
                              Participant

Wishing you the best!!!

Josh 

dodgedh2
                                Participant

Don't feel alone. I was diagnosed as Stage 4 (unknown primary). I had a single tumor in my sacrum, which was surgically removed and treated with Gamma radiation prior to closure. I have had no further treatment, just wait and observe. I have been NED for 5-1/2 years now. Some oncologists prefer to see if there is a reocurrance prior to beginning a regiment of treatment.

dodgedh2
                                  Participant

Don't feel alone. I was diagnosed as Stage 4 (unknown primary). I had a single tumor in my sacrum, which was surgically removed and treated with Gamma radiation prior to closure. I have had no further treatment, just wait and observe. I have been NED for 5-1/2 years now. Some oncologists prefer to see if there is a reocurrance prior to beginning a regiment of treatment.

dodgedh2
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics